Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Seeking Input

Which cartridges (up to 4) covers the options for people buying their primary hunting rifle?

• .338 Win

• .300 Win Mag

• .308 Win

• .30-06 Springfield

• 7mm Rem Mag

• 7mm-.08

• .270 Win

• 6.5 Creedmoor

• .243 Win

Results are only viewable after voting.
Elk only 338 win mag, I'm dumb and like heavy bullets
Mostly elk, some deer, 30-06 because of history
Mostly deer, some elk 270, after all Jack O'conner cant be wrong
Deer only, 6.5 Creedmoor, because you don't have the swede listed.

Can I throw in a strong vote for NONE OF THE ABOVE?

I do enjoy the fact that in every gun thread we can count on at least one post vainly fighting against the relentless movement of time.

Tipping my hat to you sisyphus, I like knowing that there is at least one guy out there keeping the old ways alive.

Hey Harley, Your creedmoor is falling behind in the voting. Better start stuffing the ballot box. :cool:

When it comes to guns and which caliber, I'm like my wife shopping at the shoe store. I want them all! I grew up with my dad using a .300 win mag for elk and a .243 for deer. So I am drawn to those because of the memories. My first rifle, besides my .22, was a .270 wsm. Love it. I have used it on multiple animals works great. I think the most important thing is, I'm very confident with the gun and no doubt enters my mind when I am shooting.

I do enjoy the fact that in every gun thread we can count on at least one post vainly fighting against the relentless movement of time.

Tipping my hat to you sisyphus, I like knowing that there is at least one guy out there keeping the old ways alive.

Maybe "futilely" would be better than "vainly".

I don't ever expect to swim in the mainstream. I've been there, didn't care for it. But it just amazes me how cookie-cutter these kinds of questions have become and how simply unwilling people are to consider anything particularly out of the current. Yet, folks talk about the "great tradition" of hunting. The contrast is no where stronger than on HT, but at least we are all in the field and occasionally packing out an animal, however it gets shot.

Soldier on. I'll continue to chip in the from the backwaters where no one wants to go, just in case, just maybe, someone wants to get off the beaten path.

This thread makes me want to relook at 7mm Rem Mag. I know and love the versatility of 30-06 but haven't looked at light loads for 7mm to reduce recoil when it's not needed.

My long term strategy is two rifles. Right now, my intent is 300 Win Mag and 6.5 CM. Covers everything in North America.

I know this won't sell rifles, but doesn't it seem like, in this day and age, the question of "which bullet?" is a lot more meaningful? Seems to me like every rifle on that list is going to work just fine on elk and deer, if you're using the right bullet at the right velocity.

Of the choices offered I own several. If I were to pick 4 which I did in the poll it would be: 300wm 308win 270win and 7mm08 these 4 have widely available ammo and cover the spectrum of what you had asked for, also ammunition is widely available for all 4. The only one I don’t have is the 308 YET.

I would say 7 RM for deer, elk and up. Great selection in bullet weights
30-06 for any game. Great selection in bullet weight, ammo availability
.308 for all. Great ammo selection, and proven almost as much as the 30-06.
7mm08 I would use it for all game from yotes to elk. It is a light rifle that has a mild recoil but packs enough of a punch to work for all applications. I own one now and love it. If there were more choices I would say .280 AI, and 25-06 are other calibers I would like to see.

I only chose 3 , the 270, 30-06 & 300WM, which would cover anything I would need in a hunting rifle(s). My go to is my 270WIN, it has helped me harvest quite a variety of game species, it's the same thing with my 30-06, the 300WM is for when I'm in grizzly country, I want a heavy bullet with some speed behind it, plus I feel a bit more comfortable for long range hunting with it, which to me is anything past 350 yards.

At reasonable hunting distances, some of my answers may differ from what Randy is looking for.
1) 7mm-08
2) 280 Rem
3) 7mm Rem Mag
4) 25-06

Other cartridges i use and are adequate for 90% of my hunting include 284 Win, 257 Roberts, 250 Savage.

My vote for best all around, do it all cartridge would still be a toss up between 7mm-08, and 280 Rem.

Maybe "futilely" would be better than "vainly".

I don't ever expect to swim in the mainstream. I've been there, didn't care for it. But it just amazes me how cookie-cutter these kinds of questions have become and how simply unwilling people are to consider anything particularly out of the current. Yet, folks talk about the "great tradition" of hunting. The contrast is no where stronger than on HT, but at least we are all in the field and occasionally packing out an animal, however it gets shot.

Soldier on. I'll continue to chip in the from the backwaters where no one wants to go, just in case, just maybe, someone wants to get off the beaten path.

I'd like to hear what you have to say.

Personally these would be my 4 calibers (off topic slightly)

338-06
300WM
284Win
260Rem

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back