Caribou Gear

Salt Lake City to Dubois

Kiwi

This September I'm visit Wyoming to hunt elk. I have booked flights to SLC and will drive to Dubois. I plan to spend 2 days driving up the I80 to Rock Springs and then to Farson, Lander and Dubois. I realise that a route via Jackson would be more scenic but plan to visit this area on my return trip.

I would like some recommendations on interesting areas to visit along the way. For example a nice camp ground or hotel to stay at, good spots to see pronghorn or elk, any parks worth a visit. Would love to get some local info so I make the most of the drive.

All you have to do is keep your eyes open to see pronghorns, They'll be just off the road-you'll get tired of seeing them. I cant help with any of the other questions.

take a stick, when on I-80 pull over get out of your rental, shake the stick, you will hit a pronghorn!

-dont rule out flying into idaho falls or jackson, rates might suprise you. i will offer you some advice, get gas when you can.

Last edited:
I spent a winter in Eden in an old single wide covered over with straw bales and snow fence boards. I found a small herd of antelope frozen to death after one blizzard went through. Think about that place in winter when you drive through in the fall. That's the white-out country you hear about where people get a few feet away from their car and they don't find them, near by, till spring thaw.

They have (had?) a nice old church there in Eden.

Also check out South Pass City if you are into history.

Wow, that was quick! Thanks for the recommendations. Lander and edan look like great spots! Also really looking forward to seeing some pronghorn, very cool animal.

Last edited:
A couple of ideas to see in Utah and routes to Rock Springs.

In Utah
- Antelope Island State Park. Just north of Salt Lake City. Island in Great Salt Lake with herds of Bison, Bighorns, Deer and multitude of birds.
- Park City area - Utah Olympic Park - Venue from the 2002 Winter Games and still used for training and competition of ski jumping and the sliding sports (Bobsled, Luge) / Main Street. Grab a beer and bite.

Route options from Salt Lake to Rock Springs
1) Salt Lake - Park City - highway 150 over the High Uintas (Moose, Mountain Goats possible) to Evanston see Fort Bridger connect back to I-80. Note if you arrive over Labor Day weekend Fort Bridger has an excellent Mountain Man Rendezvous.

2) Salt Lake - Park City - highway 40 through over the Wasatch Mountains and Uinta Basin to Vernal. Travel Vernal take highway 191 north over Flaming Gorge to Rock Springs. If time allows take a side trip into Brown Park on the old Outlaw Trail which Butch Cassidy used to travel and hide out. Exceptional fishing as well.

Drop me a note when you have your flights booked and I would be happy to meet you in Salt Lake and get you some maps and brochures when you arrive.

Thanks dukes daddy. I'll take a look at those routes and get in touch closer to my arrival date (6 Sept 2015). Great to get some first hand info :)

Last edited:
Camping up toward Sinks near Lander can be nice. I'll second the Lander bar for good food and drink. I'd take Route 2 suggested by Dukes. Vernal is pretty gas/oil feeling but up toward the Gorge is pretty. If you want an ice cream cone literally the size of a baby human hit the big scoop in Farson at the turn toward Lander. When you come through Jackson eat a burger at The Bird. Easily one of the best around, I always get the dirty harry.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/the-best-burger-in-every-state/ss-AA8whNI#image=52

Kiwi, if you go through Jackson I would steer clear of the Million Dollar Bar.......There is a reason that they named it that.:D It's probably named the Billion Dollar Bar by now.

Kiwi, if you go through Jackson I would steer clear of the Million Dollar Bar.......There is a reason that they named it that.:D It's probably named the Billion Dollar Bar by now.

Is that the one with saddles for bar tools, I means stools? :D

Yes sir it is! Kind of cool he might actually want to check it out. They do charge it up for the tourist.

I remember when they first embedded real bison skulls in the sidewalk around the plaza. I thought it was a cool idea. Not so much. They got kicked and worn away pretty quick. :( I do like the arches of antlers around there though.

Anyone interested in art might like the museum north of Jackson. The art was good but I liked the architecture itself. From the outside it fit right into the hillside. It would make a great house for me if anyone is looking for my birthday present.

My sister wintered some cattle east of Bonderant one year. We had to snow machine in a couple of miles to the line shack where she lived. She fed every morning and night with a big old sled pulled by draft horses. Some poacher killed a moose somewhere and the Fish and Game dropped it at the shack by helicopter so we had that for Christmas dinner. Good times.

Thanks Big Slick, I'll find a cheap place. I've only got kiwi dollars so cheap is good :)

Fort Bridger Wyoming would be a good stop for some history. The KOA in Lyman Wyoming has log cabins. That would be a good mid point. If you are looking for a hotel keep going east and stop at the Little America.

Thanks worm. I see the Fort Bridger Rendezvous 2015 is on the time I'll be there. Now that might be interesting, certainly something new for me.

Great info, thanks everyone. Are there any good spots to see elk on this route?

Fort Bridger Wyoming would be a good stop for some history. The KOA in Lyman Wyoming has log cabins. That would be a good mid point. If you are looking for a hotel keep going east and stop at the Little America.

Little America is something else. One part Norman Rockwell, three parts Rod Serling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YellowCreek
Back