Salt Lake City to Dubois

Well, its that time of year again and I'm planning my route from SLC to Western Wyoming. Great to have this thread and its excellent info. Thanks again everyone.

This September I'm visit Wyoming to hunt elk. I have booked flights to SLC and will drive to Dubois. I plan to spend 2 days driving up the I80 to Rock Springs and then to Farson, Lander and Dubois. I realise that a route via Jackson would be more scenic but plan to visit this area on my return trip.

I would like some recommendations on interesting areas to visit along the way. For example a nice camp ground or hotel to stay at, good spots to see pronghorn or elk, any parks worth a visit. Would love to get some local info so I make the most of the drive.

Take Weber Canyon to Evanston and stop at devil's slide near Croydon.

Go Through Kamas on the Mirror Lake Highway to Evanston, Lots of good camp sites on the highway.

There is nothing between Evanston and Green River.

Green River has expedition island, which is overrated - but an attraction none the less.

Hotels in the area might have great deals, because of Coal and Oil/Gas layoffs. Coyote Creek is a decent restaurant in Rock Springs.

Firehole on the Rock Springs side of Flaming Gorge has a nice camp site and is beautiful.

On the way to Rock Springs to Farson, go take view of the boar's tusk. It's a giant rock in the middle of the desert. There are also sage chickens running around the area. If you are there during the season, the dog and I might be out putting around.

South Pass is another cool area.

There isn't much between Lander and Dubois. It may be best to drive straight through.

Wind River Canyon is a bit out of the way, but may be worth a drive.

Thanks Dude! I'll do some internet research on the spots you've suggested.

If the sage chickens are in season (17th - 30th) and I am not hunting big game. (Res draw still to come)

If you want to try your hand at chickens, I have an extra gun and a dog that loves nothing more than to find them and point them out.

Let me know.

A very kind offer Dude. Sounds like a fun time. I'll keep in touch and see if the timing works out. I have just put in for a deer tag, so my plans are also dependent on draws. I have a elk tag already :) I get to Salt Lake City Sept 5 and depart Sept 21. Cheers.

And good luck with your draw.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back