Fly or drive to Wyoming

brushcreek

Need some advice from experts here. Recently booked a guided Deer / Pronghorn hunt in SW Wyoming in early October. I live in Little Rock, AR which is 1,400 miles away. We could drive in two days or we could fly in to SLC, rent a truck and drive to our hunting location (80 miles from SLC I think). Flights are dirt cheap right now found one this morning for less than $200 round trip, can rent a truck for a week for around $350. My only hangups are getting the meat back and flying with possible corona virus issues or delays. What would you guys do? Interested in hearing about experiences flying home with capes / meat.

Last edited:
I drove from Washington to eastern Wyoming last year and wish I would have taken advantage of the drive as part of the vacation as well.
Hard to put a price on the peace of mind with knowing your stuff is secured in your own truck, being able to check that meat, capes, heads, etc., are properly cared for.
Personally would not rely on a shaky transportation industry at this point. Gas is awfully cheap (except Washington 🤔).
I’ll be making the drive to NW Wyoming and loving every minute of it with any luck.

In the last few years I have done it both ways. Drive if you have the time and ability. The cost and headache of flying with guns and meat greatly outweighs the inconvenience of driving.

Another vote for the drive. Although I don't really mind some time behind the wheel. Don't like the thought of my stuff being thrown around or dealing with airports. I say that and I fly every 3-4 weeks for work.

You said “we” so I assume at least two of you. With two people I’d drive, with three or more people I’d definitely drive.

I made that drive from Conway when we lived there several years ago and it certainly is not enjoyable. We drove to just north of Denver the first day and that made the second day pretty easy. On the way home, we stopped in Wichita which left about 7 hours to the house. Having the opportunity to take about anything we thought we would need and the ability to bring home all the meat without having to process it before leaving was worth the tradeoff of an easy flight.

I am by no means an expert, but I've driven from Northwest Arkansas to Southeast Wyoming several times. As @Rzrbck918 stated, the drive is anything but fun, but with gas prices as cheap as they are right now I'd hit the road. Drive as far as you can on the first day so your second day won't be as miserable.

Also, when you look back on this hunt, I doubt the drive will be the first thing you'll think of (if you even think of it at all).

Hope to hear about the success story once your hunt is over!

I’d drive. Dealing with all you’re hunting gear and getting meat home via commercial airlines can be a pain. Not to mention expensive. U less you’ve got really high status on an airline, the fee for a 3rd checked bag is often $150.

I should have mentioned the flight would be with Southwest which certainly helps with luggage (first two bags free)

Only NR hunts I do is hogs and I drive when I can and carry high capacity good quality coolers with dry ice on top. I have lost baggage to airlines before so I prefer to drive.

I drove 1100 miles solo from Southern California to Casper last season and actually quite enjoyed the drive. If you have the time, I would vote drive IMO.

Flying for hunting really isn't that big a deal once you have done it a bit.

COVID-19... fly at your own risk.

Southwest would be fairly easy with their liberal baggage policy. Check with your outfitter and see if they have freezers you can use. If you can freeze everything solid before you travel that will be really helpful. Meat goes in your carry-on, cape + skulls go in your checked bags. You need to clean the skulls before you leave the state regardless. Might consider a local taxi if you plan on doing a shoulder mount. I'd just rent a cheap sedan if your going guide, no need to pay extra for a truck.

Driving works as well, just need to factor 4-ish days of travel total into your plans.

What's that under 20hrs? I'd drive all day long.

When I lived in PA I was driving 32hrs to where we archery hunted in MT. And with 2 people we'd go straight through.

To me the drive is a part of the hunt.

My wife and I have round trip booked to SLC for $110 each round trip out of Indianapolis early october. If I get drawn I will be shipping some gear UPS to my destination. If am successful I will likely cash in for a one way rental and drive home. With the cheap airfare I figure my savings could cover the rental easily enough and I don't have to worry so much about logistics of meat, hide and horns

For hunting, I vastly prefer driving. I've flown enough that I've ran into all kinds of problems over the years. Nothing like a canceled flight or a lost bag to throw a wrench into your plans. Not to say that driving doesn't have its share of issues but at least you're somewhat in control rather than being completely at the mercy of the airlines.

Along those lines, you also gain flexibility driving - both with what you can bring and when you have to leave: with flights you have a set departure; driving you can leave early if you tag out early or spend an extra day if you so chose.

I've heard driving can also help with altitude acclimatization if that's something you're concerned about.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back