PEAX Equipment

Fly or drive to Wyoming

What's that under 20hrs? I'd drive all day long.

When I lived in PA I was driving 32hrs to where we archery hunted in MT. And with 2 people we'd go straight through.

To me the drive is a part of the hunt.

That's insane. Made a 28 hr trip straight through with 4 guys. The drive to is part of the hunt..not so much on the way home lol

I've done both and cost+time is a big factor in deciding which option I chose on. I do everything solo, so driving more than two days is too much, if I were to do it with someone, I'd be more than happy to do a 20+ hour drive with someone in one day.

My experience with flying for a hunt has always been domestic and in Canada, bringing a firearm was never an issue and extra baggage fees aren't all that bad. It does take more preparation and you have to chose wisely what you will bring but you can always hit Walmart and buy a couple cheap coolers and whatever you are missing once you get there.

Definitely drive. I've done it 3 times straight with buddies 28 hours from NC. I did it solo straight through in the summer of 2018. 28 hours straight driving with my wife riding shotgun and my kids in the back. Wouldnt advise that though. I was a zombie when we finally got there😂

One worry with flying to be aware of, if your baggage gets delayed you may lose all your meat and all airlines will take exception to paying for the loss. Usually doesn't happen, but it can and has to me

My meat got “lost” by the airline after a trip to Montana a few years ago. The airline didn’t give a shit

One worry with flying to be aware of, if your baggage gets delayed you may lose all your meat and all airlines will take exception to paying for the loss. Usually doesn't happen, but it can and has to me

Carry-on your meat. ;)

Most airlines don't have a carry-on weight restriction (look it up before you book). I've twice filled my SG pack with meat and put it in the overhead bin. A SG bag will fit in a standard 737 overhead bin correctly, ie bottom of the pack perpendicular to the body of the plane. A boned out caribou or a boned out bear will fit in your bag. Freeze the meat solid, place it in a roll top dry bag, put the dry bag in your pack. If you max out your pack you can put meat in your "personal" item under the seat. I managed to get a caribou and a limit for salmon from Adak to Denver, with no issues. Also a bear from POW to Denver.

On the trip out put all your necessary gear in your carry-on, wear your boots. Knifes + optics, place in your rifle case. Fly direct it possible, you are much less likely to have an issue with a missing rifle on a direct flight. On the way home check all your clothing, it doesn't matter on the return trip if they lose your stuff for a couple days.

No question, I would fly there and drive home if successful. This is the best way I've found. Super easy and convenient.

what he said: if you really can't spare extra 2 days before your hunt due to tight work schedule: Fly one way. and Drive back with all your meat.
but if time is not an issue: Drive both ways.

I decide based on gear I might need, meat weight and antler size. I also rarely have anyone along for the flight/drive.

I have flown to guided hunts with my gun, ammo, optics and some clothes so easy to pack things into a suitcase or two. I tend to have the meat made into jerky there locally and the antlers into Euro mount. Jerky and mount get shipped to me. My co-workers love raiding my jerky stash. I have been slow-walked by the check-in staff (not the actual inspectors) as try to check my gun and ammo at airports. I wonder if my gun case is tossed around a bit more enthusiastically than normal luggage. However, the main issue for me with flying is if you wrap the hunt early. Sometimes are very few daily flights and maybe zero open seats if is a regional airport which is often your choice if want to land within 100 miles of your hunt. The closest airports to some hunts fly planes with 30 or fewer seats as connectors to a real airport that flies the big birds. Montrose, CO, Idaho Falls, ID, and Cody and Jackson, WY, for example are regionals. Can be difficult to move your flight up or expensive.

I prefer to drive than fly as can take "might need" gear, can bring fresh meat home and drop the antlers at my regular taxidermist. No cancelled flights when drive. I can drive 10-14 hours the first day of driving then 8-10 hours the next day and that gets me to every hunt I have had I the Lower 48. If is a long drive and will not need to get off paved roads then I have rented a vehicle with better mileage plus is more reliable than my older SUV which I sold anyway as I was driving the hunting rig fewer than 1000 miles a year around home. If I drive, I tend to put stuff into plastic bins. The bins keep things organized and if I am using my SUV to sleep in then can set the bins outside and cover with a tarp so have room to stretch out to sleep inside. Sleeping inside on a frigid night and being able to turn on the engine to run the heater a few minutes is about as good as gets when camping at a trailhead.

Keep in mind we could have weather that affects your drive. Even in early Oct a snow storm with wind may , or will, close the roads. Then you need a plan for the extra days waiting for them to open.
That same storm would keep you from your flights in SLC as well. You'll need a flexibility.

My vote is to drive. My brother and I are driving from Central CA to WY this year(pending tags) which is 1,200 miles. We decided it would be more beneficial to us because we would have control over our gear and our own vehicle to drive around in while there. Flying saves time but we have plenty of that.

We drove from FL to ID last year and will be driving from FL to MT this year.

Last edited:
Keep in mind we could have weather that affects your drive. Even in early Oct a snow storm with wind may , or will, close the roads. Then you need a plan for the extra days waiting for them to open.
That same storm would keep you from your flights in SLC as well. You'll need a flexibility.
Given that he said he was only 80 miles from SLC, that means he’ll be in far western WY, arguably in the Unitas since SLC->WY border on I-80 is 80 miles. So if there’s weather, there’s a much higher likelihood of road closures across WY than there would be from SLC to WY which would be mostly through protected canyons (Parley’s and Echo) that are more protected from weather. Be aware that they often have 4WD with snow tires or chain requirements on that stretch if there’s heavy snow.

I've done both from NH to central WY. 3 day drive, vs flying.

Both has benefits, but I'd fly all things considered.

- You are talking 2 days of SOLID driving to do 1400 miles, that's across some less than "exciting" states - there's only so much corn field you can see. Flying you are still looking at a full day each way.

- Flight costs are low now, but you need a rental car. Gas prices are low, but you may be adding a hotel and food.

- luggage and maybe loosing it (you didn't say if it was a direct flight or connections). When my wife and I did that exact hunt it was 5 boxes of meat packed and frozen to stay under weight limits. Also figure you have at least one gun case. One thing to check is fly out coach, fly back 1st class. Depending on the price.... When we did that exact thing, the first two bags became free and could weigh 70 pounds, not 50. That was for 2 people, so 4 free bags, plus 80 pounds free. It was almost a wash, add in comfy seats, food and drinks and we probably broke even vs coach.

You can also look at shipping meat over night or next day.

We left head/cape in WY, had it mounted there and the outfitter delivered it to Harrisburg PA sports show for us. Meant not getting the mount for over a year, but it worked for us.

- Time and tiredness. You will be TIRED when you drive out, then you have to drive back which means another 2 long days without the anticipation factor.

Done em both, would do both again, but all things considered, I'd fly.

- You are talking 2 days of SOLID driving to do 1400 miles, that's across some less than "exciting" states - there's only so much corn field you can see. Flying you are still looking at a full day each way.
They’ve added windmills - LOTS of windmills - to make the scenery more interesting... :ROFLMAO:

My wife and I drove from Virginia to Wyoming last October over a 3 day period.
The benefit was stopping along the way to site see and to be able to leave after I was able to kill a nice pronghorn and catch Rushmore/Crazy Horse/Deadwood on the way home.
I have a buddy coming this year and we are weighing the options now as to flying or driving. I prefer to see the country; we both have plenty of time off to do that.
I told him that we are allowing 4 days to hunt if we fly; in actuality, we both may get our pronghorns in a day or two. If we drive, we can start home right after the hunt; if we fly, we will have change flights($$), or site see for two days. I think the money will be about the same either way when you weigh fuel/hotel stays versus flights and a rental car/baggage fees. Not to mention the possibility of losing luggage/flight delays

Carry-on your meat. ;)

Most airlines don't have a carry-on weight restriction (look it up before you book). I've twice filled my SG pack with meat and put it in the overhead bin. A SG bag will fit in a standard 737 overhead bin correctly, ie bottom of the pack perpendicular to the body of the plane. A boned out caribou or a boned out bear will fit in your bag. Freeze the meat solid, place it in a roll top dry bag, put the dry bag in your pack. If you max out your pack you can put meat in your "personal" item under the seat. I managed to get a caribou and a limit for salmon from Adak to Denver, with no issues. Also a bear from POW to Denver.

On the trip out put all your necessary gear in your carry-on, wear your boots. Knifes + optics, place in your rifle case. Fly direct it possible, you are much less likely to have an issue with a missing rifle on a direct flight. On the way home check all your clothing, it doesn't matter on the return trip if they lose your stuff for a couple days.
I couldn't help but laugh at carrying your meat in the overhead bin. More for your ingenuity. I fly a lot of fish back from ANC to Omaha, I use fish boxes and as much dry ice as they will let me. Haven't had a problem with fish yet, but it could happen. Put it in there frozen solid with dry ice helps. If the bag gets delayed I'm toast. (also most years I'm bringing back like 3 fish boxes full, so too much to call a carry on ;) )

I always drive for hunting trips. Way more convenient in terms of what you can bring and flexibility. Only downside is the time investment. In terms of distance, if I can do it from NJ, anyone can.
Scouting trips are a different story since I usually only have a few days for that. Just booked my flight for a late August scouting trip to MT yesterday and the prices were indeed rock bottom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pam Fetzner
Back