Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

S&W Pistols

jryoung

A friend who's father passed away a couple of years ago is left with his gun collection. Her father was a casual shooter but loved to collect firearms. His list is pretty extensive, something in the range of 140 guns, primarily pistols.

She brought a detailed listing to me and asked me what I thought, I really don't know jack about pistols, but the list of Smith and Wessons caught my eye as I know they can be desirable.

His list included several Model 19s, 29s, 60s and 66s IIRC. Everything is basically NIB and maybe shot a few times, but always well taken care of. I'm curious as to what you guys know about S&Ws, and what of these tend to be more desirable than others. Granted knowing enough about guns I should know that "it depends" is likely a factor. I'm going to meet with her again and maybe I can get more details on the individual models and the pictures she has.

sounds like a nice collection. I'm not sure on some of them, but, the 29's will go anywhwere in the $750- $900 range all day right now.

Unfortunate way to come into the collection. As a gun enthusiasts, I love seeing what these old boys have squirreled away. In a former life, buying and selling firearms it what I did with an emphasis on collectables. With that said, I will offer a few points of consideration.

Condition, condition, condition. Firearms with their boxes are desirable, the boxes alone can be worth a few hundred. Get yourself a blue book. The prices are subjective but it will help you in iding the exact models and it's desirability. It's not just the model, such as 19, that is important but rather is date and variant. Look up its manufacture date via serial, look at the variants on the frame behind the crane in front of the cylinder. What barrel length, what finish. Those are huge. List each gun, then make your notes about it. Once you know what you have, search the net for comparables. You will find a wide range, make sure it's apples to apples and remember asking and receiving are different. If and when you go to sell, list the firearms stating exactly what they are and a realistic assessment of condition percent. If it looks perfect, it's condition will rate 90%. For all intensive purposes nothing is 100%. Give the list to your local used gun store such as cabelas gun library, Scheels fine gun room, etc. the average margin is 30% on used guns. If it will sell for 1k they will want it for700 and offer 500-600 type of thing. When selling a collection I would make them pay more as they are getting more for less work. If it's rare I would also make them pay. I personally wouldn't sell this way, I would use gunbroker or guns international. Easy and safe.

Have fun with this if you can. Most importantly take your time and research them. It doesn't take long once you get rolling. The internet will have your answers. Good luck.

Last edited:
Few colts, and some rugers, and a mess of other guns. Hoping to sit down with the detailed list and the Blue Book of Gun values and start to get an idea of what's there.

She has hand written notes on all the guns from when she sat with her dad when he was in Hospice and he added his personal commentary. She said it was a great moment between them as he was in good spirits and she razzed him about owning so many guns and there were several he had no idea remembering why or when he bought them.

Colts are always nice, that ponies worth a pretty penny. The saa market took a noise dive but the da snake series is hot. Rimfires are desirable to. Ruger doesn't get as much attention but have a devout following. Don't over look the odd ones that your not familiar with, those are usually the best ones. Any cool rifles or just handguns.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tfowers
Back