MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

I think I want a pistol

nastynate

I don’t have one, don’t need one, but want one. Since it’d be my first, 22lr seems logical. What would be your recommendation for plinking and maybe taking a grouse. What are the dependable, good value makes and models I should look at? Always been partial to revolvers but nothing against semi autos. Surely open to used guns. I’d say budget is about $500.

If you like revolvers there are plenty of solid options, I have had a Ruger wrangler and a single six.

You wouldn’t go wrong with a Ruger Mark IV either, haven’t seen it listed so far but I’ve had a lot of fun with my Glock 44.

Last edited:
I don’t have one, don’t need one, but want one. Since it’d be my first, 22lr seems logical. What would be your recommendation for plinking and maybe taking a grouse. What are the dependable, good value makes and models I should look at? Always been partial to revolvers but nothing against semi autos. Surely open to used guns. I’d say budget is about $500.
Stevens Model 35. You can get 2 for $500. :)
6, 8, or 10" barrels. These things even came in .410, but that's another story.

20211211 Squirrel and Stevens M35.jpg

Ruger MKIV
Ruger Single Six/Wrangler
Browning Buckmark
Sig Mosquito
Glock
/thread

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't get a new buckmark. I bought a urx contour with a 7.25 inch barrel 7-8 years ago, and I have never been happy with it. Least accurate pistol I have ever shot. I can shoot subcompact carry guns better than that thing even. I tried every type of 22 ammo I could find, let other people who shoot pistols well try it, and still no good results. I bought it because of how much I loved my dad's buckmark, but mine is not comparable at all. If I could do it again I'd get a mark IV or a revolver for sure. Everybody seems to love their buckmarks so maybe I just got a lemon

I have 2 Buckmarks and enjoy them. That being said, if I was buying today it would probably be the Ruger Mark IV Lite with the 1911 angled grips. If you want a pistol to "train" on prior to get a 9mm I would say the FN 502, Sig 322 and Glock 44 in that order. Definitely go handle some to see what fits best in your hand.

Had my heart set on a buckmark for a few years. Brother has a couple he bought 10-15 years ago and likes em. Gun buddy talked me into a ruger mark iv instead. Easy to strip and clean and super reliable. You're more than welcome to try it out if you need an excuse for a short road trip.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back