Yeti GOBOX Collection

I think I want a pistol

Ruger Mark IV > Browning Buckmark IMO. The previous models Mark1-3 are considerably more difficult to take down and the Mark 3 had a loaded chamber indicator that IMO completely ruined the aesthetic of the pistol.
I still love the Mark IIs best. I have a blued 678 and a stainless 678. Both with the hook front sight. They have taken a ton of grouse, rabbits, and squirrels over the year. A few hen house varmints as well.

I passed my 4 inch Mkiii down to my oldest kid. I was going to do a Form 1 conversion on it, but I have too many projects.

After a while the take down gets easier. A short 1/4" wood dowel is your friend.

But ask yourself why you need to take it down if its working. And they do work. Take off the plastic grips and shoot it with brakekleen, then re-lube the moving bits and they will run forever.

Many of these at gun shows or Gunbroker under 5 bills.

I also have a 6" stainless Ruger Single Six with 22 Mag and 22LR cylinders. Easy shooter and very quiet with Aguila Calibri loads. I paid less than $200 for it because it had a mechanical issue. Fixed it with a $5 spring from Numrich.

Also have an Iver Johnson Target Sealed 8 which is a P.O.S. The metallurgy in these is too soft and they don't hold up. I've spent more time working on it than shooting it.IMG_3533.JPG

Last edited:
I've got my grandfather's H&R, but it's not the top break, just w/a loading gate. Fun as all get out to shoot and it would make for a great 22 plinker/grouse getter for well under the $500 price point of the OP. Cool little Roscoes!
My Dad's hand-me-down for my 12th birthday. He stated that every trapper needs a good reliable 22 revolver. He had purchased it new in the early 50s for the same reason.
H&R truly produced a well made "working man" firearm that are fun to shoot.

P.s.

When you step it up, and want something for woods/bear protection - don't forget to buy it in 10mm aka best mm,perfect 10, centimeter, and/or grown man .40

I don’t have one, don’t need one, but want one. Since it’d be my first, 22lr seems logical. What would be your recommendation for plinking and maybe taking a grouse. What are the dependable, good value makes and models I should look at? Always been partial to revolvers but nothing against semi autos. Surely open to used guns. I’d say budget is about $500.
Hard to beat a heritage rough rider for the price.

Thanks, just wandering what that hook inside the trigger-guard behind the trigger do?
iI am intrigued.
That is is the sear. The trigger's only function in these guns is to rotate the cylinder and @#)(# the hammer. At fully travel they bump that sear, which releases the hammer.

(edit for clarity) Here is the I.J. Target Sealed 8. You can see the same "second trigger" behind the first, inside the trigger guard. One should not dry fire a rimfire revolver, but if you have the hammer at full @#)(# and watch the mechanism, the main trigger moves back and contacts this second trigger, which releases the hammer to fire the gun.

1706621389745.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks all. Still window shopping. I’ll let you know when a decision is made. It’ll be in the next few months I expect.

I got the Ruger Mark IV Lite. Finally got a chance to shoot it last week. Had a blast and couldn’t be happier with it. I think the Buckmark is pretty comparable.

It's hard to beat a Ruger Mark IV Lite. Do buy one with a threaded barrel, and you may want to get one with a picatinny rail to easily add a red dot or scope in the future if you want.

You're going to get a million suggestions on here. Some will definitely be great suggestions, but the smartest thing to do is to go to a handful of stores and handle as many handguns as you can. Everyone's hand it different. What fits my hand might feel like absolute crap to you and vice versa. Also, see what you like the looks of because lets be honest looks matter. Make a list of what you like.

Come back here with that list and see how it matches up with what the folks on here are recommending. My 2 cents.

You're going to get a million suggestions on here. Some will definitely be great suggestions, but the smartest thing to do is to go to a handful of stores and handle as many handguns as you can. Everyone's hand it different. What fits my hand might feel like absolute crap to you and vice versa. Also, see what you like the looks of because lets be honest looks matter. Make a list of what you like.

Come back here with that list and see how it matches up with what the folks on here are recommending. My 2 cents.

All that just to buy a 22 pistol?

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back