Caribou Gear

Ryan Busse. Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So no one?

I haven’t read the book, I don’t know the man personally, I’m going off of comments of other posters, but it appears to me that commenting on gun culture and especially advertising is well within his wheelhouse.

If anything is problematic here it’s the NRA et al. trying to stifle discourse.
I'm on the waitlist for the book at the library and will reserve judgements until then.

I've also lived in a variety of Gifford rated places, mostly in F & D states, but also in a few "damn near impossible" places (NYC & DC). I agree with your previous statement, there has to be a happy middle ground.

I've been sort of wrestling with where the nation falls between our second amendment rights and the state's "monopoly on the legitimate use of violence" that Weber outlined as a sort of a metric for robust stability of a nation in Politics as a Vocation. Keep in mind, I haven't read Busse's the book yet, but from my perspective it does seem like a lot of modern firearm advertising is geared toward diminishing the state's "Monopoly on Violence" and engendering the "armed intimidation" that's previously been discussed on this thread. It also seems that that very advertising has shifted the definition of "gun culture."

EDIT: It looks like the Duke Center for Firearms Law recently had a panel discussion called: "The Second Amendment and the State's Monopoly on Violence." I'll have to see if I can find a recording.

I'm on the waitlist for the book at the library and will reserve judgements until then.

I've also lived in a variety of Gifford rated places, mostly in F & D states, but also in a few "damn near impossible" places (NYC & DC). I agree with your previous statement, there has to be a happy middle ground.

I've been sort of wrestling with where the nation falls between our second amendment rights and the state's "monopoly on the legitimate use of violence" that Weber outlined as a sort of a metric for robust stability of a nation in Politics as a Vocation. Keep in mind, I haven't read Busse's the book yet, but from my perspective it does seem like a lot of modern firearm advertising is geared toward diminishing the state's "Monopoly on Violence" and engendering the "armed intimidation" that's previously been discussed on this thread. It also seems that that very advertising has shifted the definition of "gun culture."

EDIT: It looks like the Duke Center for Firearms Law recently had a panel discussion called: "The Second Amendment and the State's Monopoly on Violence." I'll have to see if I can find a recording.

Yeah MA's laws are draconian, ineffectual, and I believe actually unconstitutional (due process, and equal protection not just 2A)

On the flip side... marketing a bag for CC'ing an AR... this one just make me feel uncomfortable. I have a permit and I can't imagine a circumstance where it would be a good idea to CC an AR.

A development that touches this thread, at least a bit, is the news that Remington just reached a settlement with the SandyHook families for 73 Million dollars.

Part of why that case turned out the way it did was the manner that Remington marketed their Bushmaster rifle.

Yeah MA's laws are draconian, ineffectual, and I believe actually unconstitutional (due process, and equal protection not just 2A)

On the flip side... marketing a bag for CC'ing an AR... this one just make me feel uncomfortable. I have a permit and I can't imagine a circumstance where it would be a good idea to CC an AR.
I'm disappointed with this product as it seems I'd have to choose between carrying a MacBook and body armor in their pouch when I'm going on a latte run. I never get a latte without being fully prepared. File this under the "Why my pack sucks" thread.

Well, looks like I’ve created a bit of a stir. First, I am not anti gun. Never have been. Don’t even know how many I own. My boys regularly run out of ammo just like all of the rest of you. Second I am not calling for bans or any of the myriad other stuff that has been asserted.

The book is the truth of my life and that of my family, intertwined with the truth of the change in our country. It’s all supported by verifiable references and footnotes. It’s not a policy treatise. I hate those sort of books and did not want to write one.

If you have read the book, I will field any and all questions. (Randy and Gerald and both Bens and many of the rest of you know I won’t shy from honest thoughtful discussion) If you have not read it, then I suggest you should before forming opinions. I’d bet the its is not what you think it is.

As a teaser….I’ll say that it is not in any of our best interests to have a culture we care about be hikacked by politcal forces that then convince us to be distracted by made up conspiracies and culture wars. It’s not in our best interests to look away from armed intimidation. It’s not in our interests to allow police state enforcment of dissent. It not in our best interests to forget responsibility.

No healthy entity or idea exists if it demands groupthink and given the importance of guns in our nation/culture I think this topic deserves some real thought and consideration.

Yet another fake news perspective to argue about gun control with skewed information. The failed DEA plot to put firearms in the hands of Cartel criminals in an attempt to track the Cartel members and arrest them is oft irrationally cited as a sitting President's ploy to promote gun control. There are many factual instances to examine in advocating for 2A ... you don't have to don your tinfoil hat to conjure them up.
That was ATF... not that it changes your shared opinion.

I flat out disagree with the reviews/ cliff notes of Busse's position.

It works in the same fashion as a politician's voting record. I agree with @hossblur regarding the hypocritical position specifically due to personal connections with Busse by those here.

I appreciated Randy's assessment and understanding of Busse. I feel, based on the cliff note version: Busse is out of touch with the purpose of 2A due to a traumatic event that curved his opinion.
That shit should not occur and understand/respect a person who makes a stand publicly - whether I agree or disagree with him.
That would leave a VERY sour taste though emotions charged his position due to a dumbshit that has every right to carry a firearm though NO right to impose his position on a 12 y/o.
***Then again, the 12 y/o was brought to a protest of this sort by a parent.

Welcome to the forums, Busse. No New member introduction necessary. :)

Well, looks like I’ve created a bit of a stir. First, I am not anti gun. Never have been. Don’t even know how many I own. My boys regularly run out of ammo just like all of the rest of you. Second I am not calling for bans or any of the myriad other stuff that has been asserted.

The book is the truth of my life and that of my family, intertwined with the truth of the change in our country. It’s all supported by verifiable references and footnotes. It’s not a policy treatise. I hate those sort of books and did not want to write one.

If you have read the book, I will field any and all questions. (Randy and Gerald and both Bens and many of the rest of you know I won’t shy from honest thoughtful discussion) If you have not read it, then I suggest you should before forming opinions. I’d bet the its is not what you think it is.

As a teaser….I’ll say that it is not in any of our best interests to have a culture we care about be hikacked by politcal forces that then convince us to be distracted by made up conspiracies and culture wars. It’s not in our best interests to look away from armed intimidation. It’s not in our interests to allow police state enforcment of dissent. It not in our best interests to forget responsibility.

No healthy entity or idea exists if it demands groupthink and given the importance of guns in our nation/culture I think this topic deserves some real thought and consideration.
Thanks for engaging and welcome.

Welcome, I guess I can't get over the fact you are on the staff of an anti gun organization. Maybe Peta could use some help also? I'm sure the pay and perks are great.

Just as I am opposed to those who show up to rally for a cause and end up looting and damaging private and public property, I am opposed to those who show up wearing tactical gear and toting AR's as though they feel it expresses an emphasis on point of view. Bring a sign and perhaps a bullhorn to a rally, not matches and firearms.

Full disclosure; I have owned firearms since before I could spell 2nd Amendment; I have served over thirty years in the US Army with two tours Vietnam. Huge pet peeve is the wannabe militia idiots, wearing tactical gear and strutting around in public places fully armed with pistols and ARs, whether intentional or not, threatening peaceful civilians. To them I say, "If you want to be a real warrior ... then step up, sign up, train up, and serve up!"
"Otherwise, save your tactical, wannabe warrior shit for your bros at your favorite strutting and shooting range!"

Last edited:
I was bored, until Busse jumped in. And for that he deserves credit.

To wllm, yes, there are all sorts of people you can have honest and frank discussion on guns.

But did Busse become honest when he criticizes gun culture? Or when he was supplying it with weapons?

Is it honest to criticize the NRA for creating scare tactics, which they do, yet campaigning for a President that does this ?

Valentine's Day can still be fun even if you broke up. Do you have information about a former (or current) partner involved in illegal gun activity? Let us know, and we will make sure it's a Valentine's Day to remember! Call 1-888-ATF-TIPS or email [email protected].

So yeah,. You, and I, and my neighbor, or your neighbor can at least attempt to have honest discussion, because (I'm assuming), you don't work for a gun company, or an anti gun org. Neither do I.

I don't expect a Ford salesman to have a honest discussion on the best truck, either.

I think open carry is stupid, mainly because it seems the carrier would be the first shot in an instance.

But I'm not afraid of black guns. I own them. The shoot the same .223 my bolt gun does.

I dO KNOW who made the black gun scary, despite statistical data showing pistols are used more in crime, and murder. The Gifford's group, does, among others.

Would this book even got noticed if Busse self published it, then went to work at a hardware store? No. Sex sells, and nothing is sexier than a "repentant" gun salesmen, doing with Gifford's.

I was bored, until Busse jumped in. And for that he deserves credit.

To wllm, yes, there are all sorts of people you can have honest and frank discussion on guns.

But did Busse become honest when he criticizes gun culture? Or when he was supplying it with weapons?

Is it honest to criticize the NRA for creating scare tactics, which they do, yet campaigning for a President that does this ?

Valentine's Day can still be fun even if you broke up. Do you have information about a former (or current) partner involved in illegal gun activity? Let us know, and we will make sure it's a Valentine's Day to remember! Call 1-888-ATF-TIPS or email [email protected].

So yeah,. You, and I, and my neighbor, or your neighbor can at least attempt to have honest discussion, because (I'm assuming), you don't work for a gun company, or an anti gun org. Neither do I.

I don't expect a Ford salesman to have a honest discussion on the best truck, either.

I think open carry is stupid, mainly because it seems the carrier would be the first shot in an instance.

But I'm not afraid of black guns. I own them. The shoot the same .223 my bolt gun does.

I dO KNOW who made the black gun scary, despite statistical data showing pistols are used more in crime, and murder. The Gifford's group, does, among others.

Would this book even got noticed if Busse self published it, then went to work at a hardware store? No. Sex sells, and nothing is sexier than a "repentant" gun salesmen, doing with Gifford's.

I'm not really sure what your point is here.

Are you asserting that his job history disqualifies him from discussing these things? Or has your perception of hypocrisy launched you on a crusade to discredit his arguments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back