Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Rifle and scope recommendations

I’m really happy with my current rifle setups. But, I do believe if I were to have to start all over again from scratch, I would look strongly at a Ruger American rifle in whatever caliber I wanted and then spend some $$$ on a decent scope, a Vx3i or higher quality probably, and finally like Cush said, as quality a pair of binos that I could afford. If all I were doing was pronghorn hunting with it I may even go to a lesser priced scope and higher priced binos.

I’m really happy with my current rifle setups. But, I do believe if I were to have to start all over again from scratch, I would look strongly at a Ruger American rifle in whatever caliber I wanted and then spend some $$$ on a decent scope, a Vx3i or higher quality probably, and finally like Cush said, as quality a pair of binos that I could afford. If all I were doing was pronghorn hunting with it I may even go to a lesser priced scope and higher priced binos.
My 2 cents - I have two Rugers, not nearly as nice as the Howa 1500 for similar money. And not nearly as finished at the Begara or Tikka (but notably cheaper).

Welcome to HuntTalk.

Your research seems pretty solid.

Some of us here will just throw out a question, "What's the best Rifle/bow/scope/truck...", then open bag of popcorn and watch the fireworks.

There is a reason so many recommend .30-'06 as a first big game rifle. It's proven with a century of history. It just works.

The only real advice I can add is that you should get to a store with a good rifle selection and throw a bunch to your shoulder. There is a protocol of sorts. All gun safety rules apply, the retailer should open the action and check the chamber before handing you the weapon, you check it again. After it is verified that the chamber and magazine are clear, ask the counter person if it's ok to dry fire it. Shoulder it pointed up and away from anyone. If they said's its ok, dry fire it pointed in that safe direction to get the feel of the trigger. Experience how the safety works, etc. I've "killed" more taxidermy in gun stores than you can imagine.

Following this protocol also tells the retailer you are not a hack. You may get a more quality retail experience

$1000 is plenty of rifle/scope budget. I'm a bigot for expensive rifles, but the truth is most are happier putting more toward the scope than the rifle. I have several Leupold VX-2 scopes that have served well for years.
I'm not a Vortex guy, but many here really like them and their warranty and service is ALMOST ;) as good as Leupold.

Whichever way you go, enjoy your pronghorn hunt and keep us all updated in your prep and progress.

Go to a range that has rentals and see what YOU like. Find a rifle that feels good and doesn’t beat you up. I’d pick something that has readily available ammo.
You can usually find 270, 308, 30-06 ammo everywhere.

Go to a range that has rentals and see what YOU like. Find a rifle that feels good and doesn’t beat you up. I’d pick something that has readily available ammo.
You can usually find 270, 308, 30-06 ammo everywhere.
One last thought. If you are new to rifle hunting you want to get a lot of range time. If you are new to recoil, that may dissuade you from putting in the reps you need to be proficient. Three approaches: (1) get a companion .22LR with a similar stock fit and similar scope/reticle - in the short term this is the most expensive choice but over the years can pay for itself with ammo savings; (2) move to a low recoil cartridge that will still be a great antelope and deer rifle -- worry about elk and moose later -- .243Win and 6.5 Creedmoor fit the bill well here; or (3) get a .270Win, 7mm08Rem or .308 -- if you aren't bothered by the recoil after a box of ammo then you are good to go -- otherwise, if you are bothered, you can buy a simple shoulder pad for practice time, as in the field you are only going to shoot once/twice.

Concur with Vikingsguy and Cushman. A Howa 1500 scoped with a Vortex Diamondback will cost you around $800 out the door. Plenty of reasonably priced ammo choices in 150 or 165grn categories. I'm shooting 165 Partitions for antelope, deer and elk.

This is great guys, I really appreciate it. Way more feedback than I expected, and quick, and a lot better than just reading an article here or there off the web of just one persons opinion.

Welcome aboard. If you really want to set yourself up right the 1st go around, I'd rethink the '06 .Why? Ya just don't need to carry the weight, endure the recoil, burn the powder, nor ruin excess meat. I've been a long time advocate of Big Fin's (Randy) recommendations for rifle selection, primarily because he recommends what I discovered a couple of decades ago. Get the right rifle for you.
. Bigger ain't better.
From 'Lopes to Elk & Moose a 7mm/08, or a 308, will serve you with admirable distinction as long as You do your part. Ruger (I have 3), Howa (I have 2) and from what I've heard Tikka (I have 0) all are good quality rifles. Check out Predator Optics (Schmalts, here on HT) for a scope buy. And on a final note get to the range and shoot, then repeat, then repeat, and again.......Good Luck & Good Hunting.

Last edited:
Tikka t3x is a great rifle. But I don’t like the safety mechanism at all.

I’m looking at the model 70s right now for the 3 position safeties.

I'll throw in another vote for a Tikka T3X. I have 2, a .308 and a .270. good rifles and iv always tended to lean toward those two cartridges, they'll just about do it all, but I concur that a T3X chambered in 30-06 would be a quite adequate for speed goats and versitle enough for whatever big game you're after.

As to scopes, I have a couple of these:

One on the previously mentioned .270 the other on a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle chambered for .280 Rem. I don't think I paid more than $180 for either of them, but they are my favorite scopes. Clear, rugged, glare resistant, good eye relief. I'm not huge into optics but these are the best for the money that I've found.

And welcome aboard!

I bought a Weatherby Vanguard chambered in 257 Weatherby and put a Vortex 4x16 on in for right on $1000. That being said l have shot a 270 Winchester for 15 years and have killed 14 cow elk and a mule deer with it. Buy the heaviest caliber that you can comfortably shoot. Something in the 270 Winchester, 308 Winchester. The 7mm Remington Mag is a really great killer as well. Unless you are in Grizzly country, in my opinion there isn't much reason to shoot the big 300 Magnums, they just kick to hard for me to shoot comfortably on a regular basis.

I have been using an old Ruger M77 30.06 for 20 years for Elk, Deer and lopes, and everything has gone down that I have shot with 150 bullets, ammo is dirt cheap and can be bought anywhere between $18 -$40. Put a new Leopold 3-9X/40 scope on it and its a dead ringer, has hold over Cross hairs sighted at 200, the dot below it hits dead on at 300, the one below at 400. Great all around gun. Just bought a TC compass set up for a 6.5 creed; topped with a Leopold cdc scope and a rugger muzzle break; thing kicks like a .223 and dead rings at 300 (still setting up the CDS); rifle scope on that one set me back just $550. Shoots better than my Ruger too. My point is you have unlimited options under $1K.

Back