Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Rifle and scope recommendations

sep0667

Hello, new member here and just starting to get into hunting out west. I am doing my first pronghorn hunt this fall in WY. I need to get a rifle and scope yet. My home state has no rifle seasons and I am mainly just an archery hunter for whitetail and turkey so this is all new to me.

I've been doing a lot of research and reading on rifles suggested for pronghorn, but want to reach out and ask for suggestions before I make my decision. Right now I am leaning towards purchasing a 30.06 as it seems like a pretty versatile rifle for big game and can be used to hunt everything from deer to pronghorn to elk and moose from what I have read. I like the idea of owning just one rifle and just changing ammunition based off of what I am hunting versus owning multiple guns, I'd like to get into elk in the future. I've read that 120 to 150 grains with a 30.06 will work just fine for pronghorn.

And probably more so than a rifle I need some suggestions for optics. Like I said 99% of my hunting has been archery so I know next to nothing about scopes etc as well. Seeing all these #'s for rifles and optics is like a foreign language to me.

I would like to not spend much more than $1,000 between gun and optics, but I do want to have something I am confident in and reliable so uping that price is okay. I'm hoping that maybe going an annual pronghorn hunt each fall may be something I do or at least something every couple years.

Sorry if I seem like I don't know what I'm talking about, that's because I don't lol. TIA.

Welcome! I am a Tikka freak. They are amazing rifles. A Tikka T3x lite would be a solid ticket in 06. There are a million rounds out there that will work, but something in 30 caliber will be very versatile.

Scope wise I am a huge advocate of Vortex. I’ve owned Leupold and others, but I think you get the best scope for the money with Vortex. There warranty is amazing.

I just got a Tikka T3x Lite Veil 6.5 cm in wideland camo with a vortex viper on top. Ready for mulies and whitetail this fall!

lots of options. Why don't you offer a price range you're looking for, that will help everyone understand where you're at so we can offer the best bang for your buck.

Welcome! I am a Tikka freak. They are amazing rifles. A Tikka T3x lite would be a solid ticket in 06. There are a million rounds out there that will work, but something in 30 caliber will be very versatile.

Scope wise I am a huge advocate of Vortex. I’ve owned Leupold and others, but I think you get the best scope for the money with Vortex. There warranty is amazing.

I just got a Tikka T3x Lite Veil 6.5 cm in wideland camo with a vortex viper on top. Ready for mulies and whitetail this fall!

English for a newbie? so a Tikka T3x lite is a 30.06?

lots of options. Why don't you offer a price range you're looking for, that will help everyone understand where you're at so we can offer the best bang for your buck.

Hoping to keep under $1,000 between both rifle and scope. A little more is okay.

I think you are on the right track. Just a couple of suggestions:
  • I'd consider a 308 or 270 as well; just as capable and kick less
  • I'd not worry about switching bullets; pick one that works and learn it well. For the 308/30-06 I'd lean 165gr for weight and look for something fairly stoutly constructed
  • A decent fixed 6X scope or 3-9X40, with a simple reticle. Leupold and Meopta both make options in these that I'd consider.
  • As far as make/model of rifle shoulder a few you think you like and go from there. Tikka would be near the top of the to look at list.
  • For western hunting, prioritize your money on boots, backpack, and binoculars.

Hoping to keep under $1,000 between both rifle and scope. A little more is okay.
Howa 1500 is a good gun for the money: ~$450

That would leave you about $500 for the scope. You can save a few bucks and go with a diamondback 4x12x40 for about $200

I run that almost exact set up for my GF, great gun and the optics will work for basically everything under 400 yards.

Can you do better? sure, but that's a high value package.

For what caliber to get it in, that's a whole different debate, but I love the 308, but the 30-06 is a fine round too.

I have that same Howa as shown above. I topped it with a Leupold VX2 which I got for around $200. I use 165 grain accubonds from it now that I load, but Federal Fusions were an amazing option for a factory load that have shot great in everything I used it in and you can't beat the price for a good factory round. I still shoot them in my .308. 165's are a nice middle ground for weight...not overkill for an antelope and not undergunned for an elk. I do agree that a 30-06 is a great all around rifle for pretty much anything in the lower 48.

I have that same Howa as shown above. I topped it with a Leupold VX2 which I got for around $200. I use 165 grain accubonds from it now that I load, but Federal Fusions were an amazing option for a factory load that have shot great in everything I used it in and you can't beat the price for a good factory round. I still shoot them in my .308. 165's are a nice middle ground for weight...not overkill for an antelope and not undergunned for an elk. I do agree that a 30-06 is a great all around rifle for pretty much anything in the lower 48.
That's my rifle, except weatherby vanguard. I switched to copper, but used to shoot 165's leaded.

English for a newbie? so a Tikka T3x lite is a 30.06?

The brand is Tikka, and the model is T3x Lite. You can get it in a variety of calibers. Here’s a link to where I bought my last rifle;

Here is a great scope option for the money. Three to 9 magnification would be a great setup for you. You can hunt in the close forest and the fields.

Many people made great points. Binoculars are critical for western hunting. You can’t kill what you can’t find, and you can’t find what you can’t see.

I'd just buy one of those Remington 783 or Savage Axis rifle scope packages in .243 or .270. Even the cheap 3 x 9 scope that comes with them is adequate for a first time/one time trip.

30/06 is great but if you're mostly going deer and antelope i'd get a .270. Less recoil, flatter trajectory and plenty of power to take everything including elk and moose with the right bullets. There are plenty of very accurate factory rifles that are inexpensive. If I had your budget I'd probably get a Weatherby Vanguard in .270 Win and a Leupold Vx-3i 3.5-10x scope. This shoot be pretty close to your budget and you can usually find a discount somewhere. I'd then get an all copper 130 grain ammo and never look back. I use to like the idea of shooting different grain bullets for different animals in the same rifle but I've found that that can be a real headache and most of the time isn't really necessary.

The rifle package that Randy worked with Howa on would be just the ticket. In 308, that would be a solid choice..

30/06 is great but if you're mostly going deer and antelope i'd get a .270. Less recoil, flatter trajectory and plenty of power to take everything including elk and moose with the right bullets. There are plenty of very accurate factory rifles that are inexpensive. If I had your budget I'd probably get a Weatherby Vanguard in .270 Win and a Leupold Vx-3i 3.5-10x scope. This shoot be pretty close to your budget and you can usually find a discount somewhere. I'd then get an all copper 130 grain ammo and never look back. I use to like the idea of shooting different grain bullets for different animals in the same rifle but I've found that that can be a real headache and most of the time isn't really necessary.

This^^^....just don't jump on the bandwagon and get a 6.5 manbun. LOL

Here are two links that may be useful:

I would grab a Tikka T3X, Begara B-14 or Howa 1500 in the stock type (wood or synthetic) and metal type ("blued", stainless or "cerakoted") of your choosing. I would get it in .270Win, 7mm08Rem or .308. I would add a Leupold vx-3i 3.4-10x40 scope if on a budget, or vx-5HD 3-15x44 scope if you can afford it (contact HT member @schmalts for the very best pricing).

I would not mess around with different bullets. A 130gn TTSX in .270, a 120 or 140gn TTSX in 7mm08Rem or 150 gn TTSX in .308 is all you will need in NA.

Last edited:
Back