Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Ranking 10 Common Bolt Action Hunting Rifles Under $750

VikingsGuy

Seems like every day somebody on HT posts looking for a basic rifle recommendation for themselves or a kid. In 2019 just about any factory gun will shoot 1.5 MOA (and many 1 MOA) right out of the box with factory ammo. So, within 350y and with appropriate cartridge/bullet and shot selection all will effectively take big game/predators. But there are differences between $299 guns and $750 guns. Stocks, triggers, actions, fit/finish typically (but not always) improve as the price rises. Based on owning and shooting all but the Begara, here is my ranking from top to bottom. FWIW - I am perfectly happy hunting with any of the top 6. I would be interested how other HTers would rank these. (I haven't owned or shot a Rem 783, Win XPR, Thompson/Center Compass, Stevens 200 or Browning AB3 so I left them off the list)

1. Tikka T3x Lite
2. Begara B-14
3. Howa 1500/Weatherby Vanguard Series 2
Sept '22 Update - 3.5. CVA Cascade
4. Savage 1x/1x0 series
5. Ruger American
6. Savage Axis II
7. Rem 700 (base factory not blueprinted)
8. Mossberg Patriot
9. Marlin X7
10. Savage Axis

Oct '21 Update: Just saw this video along the same lines:

July '22 Update: Slightly increased price range, similar question:

Aug '22 Addenda - "What you get (and don't get)" as the price point rises.

Udate: Probably worth adding CVA Cascade to the top half of the list.

Last edited:
Wow, if you have personal experience with all of those 10 but the Bergara, you are an experienced guy! I live close to the original Remington factory in Ilion, NY; 200 years old last year. This is Remington Country, at least in my mind! So I have a LOT of experience with model 700's and Model 7's. While I own other makes of guns like Savage 22, Ruger 1022 & Precision Rimfire 22, Henry 22, Marlin 30-30, Browning 243 and a few more, all my go to stuff is Remington.

Therefore, I cannot do any justice to your ranking system as I have no experience other than handling a LOT of guns in stores. Obviously, in my book Remington ranks right up there!

So many good rifles available anymore... I think a lot of this depends on personal preference. I tend towards Remington 700's, but that choice was made 40+ years ago and I have nothing against the others.

Regards, Guy

...a 700 is, IMO, the perfect canvas.
I agree, if you are starting with the base and going to upgrade piece by piece there is no better place to start - so many compatible pieces, volumes of information and able service providers. But I was assuming for this list that a person was going to leave in factory condition. In that form, I think current factory base model Rem700s are iffy.

The best rifle is the one you like looking at and carrying around! In my experience most rifle's can be made to shoot. Two I would not have again because I couldn't make them shoot are the Rem mod 7 and Ruger. That Ruger was one of the original M77's tang safety. Now if Ruger still looked like that rather than these plastic stocked night mares, I'd probably try another. Wouldn't do another mod 7 though, worst shooting rifle I ever used and I really found I didn't like carrying it round. That said I really do like 700's! I like all rifles I like to look at really!

I am not up to date on the price or quality of the Winchester model 70, nor is it on your list. But, like Guy, who likes the Rem 700 based on his decision 40 years ago, my vote, based on my preference over 50 years ago, goes to the Win model 70. But if one must stick with your list, it would be Tikka and Weatherby, but I do not have experience with all of them, so without having experience with each one you listed, I am not sure I am qualified to vote, but will enjoy watching to see which of the ones you listed gets the most votes

I'll only hunt with Remington Model 700s, Model Sevens, and push fed Winchester M70s. They've all shot great in their factory offering with no need to upgrade.

If your looking for a budget rifle the Stevens Model 200 belongs on this list I would buy one over the Ruger American, Mossberg, Axis and Marlin. If I remember right they were $299 new, shot lights out. Only downfall they were ugly as all get out.

I am mostly a Ruger M77 guy but my Remington 700 sees a lot of use. I have no experience with any of the others on your list, however we were at the gun shop last week and while my wife was ordering a Kimber 84, I was fondling a Bergara and I am pretty sure I need one.

I am not up to date on the price or quality of the Winchester model 70, nor is it on your list.

Win70s new run $900-$950 so didn't make the list. Lots of good options from $750-$1250 too, but purposely kept the list to the "value" options as that is what is most commonly asked for and vastly outsell the higher prices ones in the US.

1. Upgrades built on rem 700 actions
1.5 Old Remington's
2. Old Rugers
3. The rest of them

The upgraded Rem 700 takes you over $750 and involves a lot more than the typical hunter asking for "what gun to buy" is ready for. Similarly, buying nice old guns can be fun, but also not what the typical forum questions is looking for.

If your looking for a budget rifle the Stevens Model 200 belongs on this list I would buy one over the Ruger American, Mossberg, Axis and Marlin. If I remember right they were $299 new, shot lights out. Only downfall they were ugly as all get out.
I will add to my "never used" list, so I will take your word for it.

I'm extremely happy with my Howa 1500. I have a Ruger American that shoots sub MOA with Federal Fusions. I have a Savage Axis 25-06 that has piled up antelope and deer. I have a Remington 700 SPS in 7 mag that shoots lights out with factory ammo, but I'll be loading for it soon. I have a Savage 111 in .300 wm that shoots factory ammo very well. I've always believed that it's the shooter and rifle/ammo combination that matters, not the price of the rifle.

I agree, if you are starting with the base and going to upgrade piece by piece there is no better place to start - so many compatible pieces, volumes of information and able service providers. But I was assuming for this list that a person was going to leave in factory condition. In that form, I think current factory base model Rem700s are iffy.

Yeah, pretty iffy...

Bone stock 700...20" barrel, 100 yards 2nd load I tried.

0220161146.jpg

Another bone stock 700, 24" barrel, 100 yards:

IMG_2931.JPG

Same rifle 200 yards:

IMG_4358.JPG

Same rifle 300 yards:

IMG_4362.JPG

Not saying I didn't get lucky with picking a 700...but still, just sayin'...

Yeah, pretty iffy...

Bone stock 700...20" barrel, 100 yards 2nd load I tried.

0220161146.jpg

Another bone stock 700, 24" barrel, 100 yards:

IMG_2931.JPG

Same rifle 200 yards:

IMG_4358.JPG

Same rifle 300 yards:

IMG_4362.JPG

Not saying I didn't get lucky with picking a 700...but still, just sayin'...

Nice shooting, obviously a keeper, - but I am not the only guy out there with questions about modern factory base Rem700s.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back