Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Ranking 10 Common Bolt Action Hunting Rifles Under $750

Just my opinion. Nothing more. I do know what cartridges are effective on deer though. You wouldn't like my list of elk cartridges. mtmuley

99% of gun/cartridge/backpack debates on HT work without argument. (political cartoons on the other hand . . . . . :D)

Last edited:
If your looking for a budget rifle the Stevens Model 200 belongs on this list I would buy one over the Ruger American, Mossberg, Axis and Marlin. If I remember right they were $299 new, shot lights out. Only downfall they were ugly as all get out.
I had a Stevens in 22-250 and it was a shooter with my hand loads. Fun and very functional...but not pretty.

no experience with many of them but the Tikki listed worked well.

disclaimer we use rifles and view them as a tool, like a hand axe or chain saw for example I have noticed many of you will pass on a rifle because it is "ugly"

So on your list Vikingsguy, I will say Tikki

My dad picked up one of those T/C Compasses in .308 on clearance a while back, it's very accurate, I'll buy it off him some day...

The RUM may have knocked some sense out of you...
No, most of those budget rifles just don't appeal to me. I picked up my first Tikka 15 years ago. Flimsy plastic. Felt like a bb gun. Over right there. Savages barrel nut is cosmetically ugly. Over. Most of my shooting and hunting has been done with 77's, 70's and 700's. Solid rifles. I find it funny that is a problem. Just like long barrels. Guess I just don't conform. mtmuley

No, most of those budget rifles just don't appeal to me. I picked up my first Tikka 15 years ago. Flimsy plastic. Felt like a bb gun. Over right there. Savages barrel nut is cosmetically ugly. Over. Most of my shooting and hunting has been done with 77's, 70's and 700's. Solid rifles. I find it funny that is a problem. Just like long barrels. Guess I just don't conform. mtmuley

You're right, the plastic stock was junk, the wood stock is much better.

I have a stock 783 in .308 that will shoot 1MOA at 100 with off the shelf federal fusions if I do my part. It will be my elk rifle for the time being. Sure, the stock sucks and the factory scope is mediocre at best, but I got it used for $200 and it shoots great.

BTW, if anyone knows an easy way to extend the LOP let me know. Not interested in buying a whole new stock though.

I've got a couple of savage axis rifles in the safe, I think they're as ugly as a three dollar hooker, but they get the job done. Art as tools works better for me, and I've been bitten by the m70 bug (preferably in classic cartridges), on the other hand, I can loan the savages out, or use them in crappy weather without trepidation. They have a place in my world.

I have a stock 783 in .308 that will shoot 1MOA at 100 with off the shelf federal fusions if I do my part. It will be my elk rifle for the time being. Sure, the stock sucks and the factory scope is mediocre at best, but I got it used for $200 and it shoots great.

BTW, if anyone knows an easy way to extend the LOP let me know. Not interested in buying a whole new stock though.

Slip on recoil pad. Or if you want to do a little more work, add a custom recoil pad. No experience with the 783, but can't imagine you couldn't figure a way to do it.

70s and 77s are typically above $750 so left off for that reason, not because they aren't nice guns.

Unscrew the buttpad, buy plastic grindable spacers, add the right number of spacers to get the length you want, grind the flush with stock profile, replace buttpad.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back