Ranking 10 Common Bolt Action Hunting Rifles Under $750

I got a Patriot in 243 just to fool with. Had the plastic stock but ordered a wood stock right away. Did shoot it early on with the plastic stock and seem's it shot fine as it was. But I like wood. Wood stock is not checkered, called stippling. Action is bedded on plastic but works fine. trigger guard is also plastic and the front guard screw crush's it, don't care for that. Mossberg say's torque is 25# max. Seem's to work fine! With good handloads mine with shoot right at 1/2" at 100 yds. Liked it so well I also went out and got one in 308 for shooting cast bullet's. Trigger is good but don't know if I care for the tab sticking out of it. Probably just matter of getting used to it. All in all I think it's a super rifle, with the wood stock of course, and I hate stainless too! Really like Rem 700's but been a lot of years since I've bought one. Prefer the ADL for whatever reason. Thing about Rem 700's is they are really easy to bed and I like the trigger everyone else hate's! They only adjust down to 3# safely but then mine are hunting rifle's!

I've already got an American in .30-06... I could always use an excuse for a new gun so it sounds like a Patriot in 6.5 manbun might be the ticket for my student budget.

Whats the general consensus on the Patriot? Everything I've read online seems too good to be true at the price point so I figure it probably is... Fluted barrel, recessed crown, fluted bolt, pretty checkered hardwood stock, etc. On paper it looks like Mossberg hit a home run.

I don't think you can say it's too good to be true. The 300wm I bought (for about $400 no less) shoots like a laser with 180 Corelokt up to 400 yards. Pretty sure it would shoot a lot better in the hands of someone who really knows what they're doing.

Seems like every day somebody on HT posts looking for a basic rifle recommendation for themselves or a kid. In 2019 just about any factory gun will shoot 1.5 MOA (and many 1 MOA) right out of the box with factory ammo. So, within 350y and with appropriate cartridge/bullet and shot selection all will effectively take big game/predators. But there are differences between $299 guns and $750 guns. Stocks, triggers, actions, fit/finish typically (but not always) improve as the price rises. Based on owning and shooting all but the Begara, here is my ranking from top to bottom. FWIW - I am perfectly happy hunting with any of the top 6. I would be interested how other HTers would rank these. (I haven't owned or shot a Rem 783, Win XPR, Thompson/Center Compass, Stevens 200 or Browning AB3 so I left them off the list)

1. Tikka T3x Lite
2. Begara B-14
3. Howa 1500/Weatherby Vanguard Series 2
4. Savage 1x/1x0 series
5. Ruger American
6. Savage Axis II
7. Rem 700 (base factory not blueprinted)
8. Mossberg Patriot
9. Marlin X7
10. Savage Axis

I don't know how the Kimber Hunter couldn't make the list above, well..any of those IMO. But it's just that, my opinion. :) I am a fan of the Rugers as well.

I don't know how the Kimber Hunter couldn't make the list above, well..any of those IMO. But it's just that, my opinion. :) I am a fan of the Rugers as well.
Because when I made this list and did a quick price check I was seeing it in the $850 range which didn't meet my arbitrary criteria. If it was on the list I would have put it down fairly far giving how much noise there is about some being shooters and some not and folks hoping to get lucky and get a good one. But I have not owned one so can only speak from second hand info.

I have a Winchester XPR in .308 that's been very good to me. My dad took several hogs with it and I plan to take it elk hunting this year. The trigger is pretty good in stock form and is adjustable. I can hold a 1" group with cheap Winchester 150 grain soft points. The stock is not great for me. The comb is too low and the forend is pretty flexible. I added a cheek riser and pillar bedded the action. If it does well elk hunting I'll reward it with a Boyd's laminate stock. The XPR is made in the same factory in Portugal as the Model 70. The Browning AB3's, though made in a different factory, appear to be mostly the same as the XPR. I'm sure most people know Winchester and Browning are both owned by the Herstal Group.

I also have a Thompson Center Compass in 6.5 Creedmoor. Before I get flamed for owning a Creedmoor, I traded for it and it's my wife's rifle, I swear! I have shot my personal best group with it. The trigger is heavier than I like even after adjusting it to a drop safe poundage, but it's fine for a hunting rifle. It's factory threaded which is nice. I put a muzzle brake on it to take what little recoil there was out of it for the missus. The stock feels pretty solid, no excessive flex. Hopefully my daughter's will someday get to use it if they get into hunting.

Keeping this to Rifles I either own or have owned or have used extensively.
#1 1x / 1x0 Savage-Own
#2 Ruger American-Own
#3 Savage Axis II-Owned
#4 Rem 700-Owned
#5 Browning AB3- My Brother Owns
#6 Marlin X7 -Owned
#7 Tikka T3-Owned for one week and sold that POS. Got dupped into buying another by friend ranting and raving about Sold it within 6 Months. Only rifle I will publicly bash. If you love yours great I got burned twice in a row. Beretta's customer service sucks.

A lot of Brands have their issues and if you are garage gun smith you can save a lot of finicky rifles.

I am interested in trying a Win XPR, would also love to try out the T.C. Compass, The Howa 1500 has me interested as well.

If you ever want to be astounded run a bore camera down the barrel of a Savage out of the box. Some are better then others, but first time I did I was like this thing isn't gonna shoot worth anything. And I was right until I fouled the barrel. 30ish rounds iin it sucked that group below 1".

Because when I made this list and did a quick price check I was seeing it in the $850 range which didn't meet my arbitrary criteria. If it was on the list I would have put it down fairly far giving how much noise there is about some being shooters and some not and folks hoping to get lucky and get a good one. But I have not owned one so can only speak from second hand info.

That must be list price. Typically they're selling for around $740

Seems like every day somebody on HT posts looking for a basic rifle recommendation for themselves or a kid. In 2019 just about any factory gun will shoot 1.5 MOA (and many 1 MOA) right out of the box with factory ammo. So, within 350y and with appropriate cartridge/bullet and shot selection all will effectively take big game/predators. But there are differences between $299 guns and $750 guns. Stocks, triggers, actions, fit/finish typically (but not always) improve as the price rises. Based on owning and shooting all but the Begara, here is my ranking from top to bottom. FWIW - I am perfectly happy hunting with any of the top 6. I would be interested how other HTers would rank these. (I haven't owned or shot a Rem 783, Win XPR, Thompson/Center Compass, Stevens 200 or Browning AB3 so I left them off the list)

1. Tikka T3x Lite
2. Begara B-14
3. Howa 1500/Weatherby Vanguard Series 2
4. Savage 1x/1x0 series
5. Ruger American
6. Savage Axis II
7. Rem 700 (base factory not blueprinted)
8. Mossberg Patriot
9. Marlin X7
10. Savage Axis
Thank you very much for the info and your time, I will certainly ask you questions if I have any in the future. The Randy Newberg Howa rifle I’m going to check out and here is some others I’m wanting to check out and wondering your opinion about them, Savage Arms 110 Apex Hunter comes with a Vortex Cross Fire 11 3-9x40mm scope, also the Christensen Arms Ridgeline Titanium Edition rifle I know this one might be a bit over the top, maybe not. That’s why I’m asking you for your opinion. Thanks in advance for your help.

Thank you very much for the info and your time, I will certainly ask you questions if I have any in the future. The Randy Newberg Howa rifle I’m going to check out and here is some others I’m wanting to check out and wondering your opinion about them, Savage Arms 110 Apex Hunter comes with a Vortex Cross Fire 11 3-9x40mm scope, also the Christensen Arms Ridgeline Titanium Edition rifle I know this one might be a bit over the top, maybe not. That’s why I’m asking you for your opinion. Thanks in advance for your help.
I prefer the howa (and Tikka) over the savage but the savage will get it done. I do not like the crossfire at all - the leupold vx3 is a much much nicer scope. I haven’t shot a Christensen but have heard good things.

A CZ 557 Synthetic should probably be fighting it out with the Tikka for the top spot.

Remington probably deserves more than a single representation since Savage gets three. They both make some decent guns for the low budget end of things.

If you’re gonna spend $700 on a factory rifle, and don’t intend to mess with it after that, Howa, Tikka, and CZ are probably all you should look at. For going cheaper than that, or for upgrading later on, Savage and Remington 700’s are probably all you should be looking at.

Last edited:
Although I bought my first centerfire rifle over 50 years ago and I now have a safe full of rifles, I only have two on VikingsGuy's list: 2 Rem 700s and 3 Weatherby Vanguards. I have "upgraded" my Rem 700s and I like to tinker so I have modified something on all of my rifles. Once I get a rifle to fit me and to shoot moa or less groups, I just shoot it and see no reason to replace it with the newest wiz-bang cartridge or rifle.

I have stocked, re-stocked, or modified the stocks on just about all of my rifles and shotguns. I like a 14" lop and many rifles come from the factory with a 13.5" lop so as a minimum, I've lengthened the lop of most of my rifles and shotguns.

Last August ajricketts asked:
"BTW, if anyone knows an easy way to extend the LOP let me know. Not interested in buying a whole new stock though."
Then VikingsGuy advised him to:
"Unscrew the buttpad, buy plastic grindable spacers, add the right number of spacers to get the length you want, grind the flush with stock profile, replace buttpad."
That was good advice, but its not quite that simple. If you add length to the stock, the original buttpad will be too short to line up with the bottom of the stock. You have to either grind the spacers and bottom of the buttpad to a different angle as the stock, or buy a larger pad and grind it to the original line of the stock.

Also, some plastic stocks, like the one on my Rem 700, use a recoil pad that has a recess that fits into the stock. When I extended the lop on that stock I had to first make a wood "plug" that fit into the back of the stock, then I epoxied and screwed the spacer to that wood plug, and then screwed a new recoil pad to the spacer and wood plug. The screw holes on the new recoil pad did not line up with the screw holes in the stock.

Last edited:
@VikingsGuy ...here's an article from Nov '19. Don't know if it's already posted...a few I'm not familiar with.

I hadn't seen. Seems generally consistent with the above discussion. I think they may have used MSRP as the cutoff. Also, some of these outdoor/magazine "reviews" are starting to seem more like paid ad space than real comparisons.

I hadn't seen. Seems generally consistent with the above discussion. I think they may have used MSRP as the cutoff. Also, some of these outdoor/magazine "reviews" are starting to seem more like paid ad space than real comparisons.

Totally agree!!

It looked more like the writer copied the manufacturer’s spec sheet than a real review, and to leave out Remington, Savage, and Howa(I know they included the Vanguard), suggests that the list had more to do with which manufacturer paid to be featured than any sort of functionality or popularity.

Totally agree!!

It looked more like the writer copied the manufacturer’s spec sheet than a real review, and to leave out Remington, Savage, and Howa(I know they included the Vanguard), suggests that the list had more to do with which manufacturer paid to be featured than any sort of functionality or popularity.

I've had good luck putting the specific rifle I'm thinking about on google and you'll get a list of reviews from many sources. Go to all of them and get a general idea from all over the spectrum of reviewers, even google videos going through the rifle. Magazines sometimes seem to be brand friendly, but Joe Redneck on a forum is willing to be honest. Especially the lesser known forums. I've also found reviews on Bud's to be helpful when shopping.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back