Rifle and scope recommendations

Welcome to HT! Where are you from? I’ll be doing my 1st antelope hunt this fall w Savage axis ii 6.5cm and Leupold vx-2

Some Walmart stores have the Remington 700 ADL rifle on sale for about $300. You could start there and mod it out as you get into shooting.

Schmalts on here is a resource for great deals on Leupold scopes. I’m not sure of the other brands he sells, cause I’ve only bought Leupolds from him.

Good luck on your hunt and your rifle search.

Some Walmart stores have the Remington 700 ADL rifle on sale for about $300. You could start there and mod it out as you get into shooting.

Schmalts on here is a resource for great deals on Leupold scopes. I’m not sure of the other brands he sells, cause I’ve only bought Leupolds from him.

Good luck on your hunt and your rifle search.
Not a bad option, or find a good used remington or whatever you want with a good used scope already on it.

A beginner will be ill equipped to navigate the rabbit hole of tweaking a 300 dollar Rem 700 & it's attendant expense. The 'go-ready' Tikka or Howa with a VX3i schmaltz Lupe is good advice, and within the OP's expressed budget.

Good cartridge selection OP.

Here are two links that may be useful:

I would grab a Tikka T3X, Begara B-14 or Howa 1500 in the stock type (wood or synthetic) and metal type ("blued", stainless or "cerakoted") of your choosing. I would get it in .270Win, 7mm08Rem or .308. I would add a Leupold vx-3i 3.4-10x40 scope if on a budget, or vx-5HD 3-15x44 scope if you can afford it (contact HT member @schmalts for the very best pricing).

I would not mess around with different bullets. A 130gn TTSX in .270, a 120 or 40gn TTSX in 7mm08Rem or 150 gn TTSX in .308 is all you will need in NA.

I have to ask since you mentioned the ttsx. I have a new scope ordered for my 270 that hasn’t been shot in a couple years and I was considering making it a lead free option (etip or ttsx) Have you shot the Barnes factory ammo or just hand loading those?

Another thing to think about as you're collecting gear. Take what is left over from your rifle/scope purchase and put it towards a good set of binoculars. I recently got a set of Theron Questas and I would put them up against any brand name glass on the market for 1/3 of the price. Again, get ahold of @schmalts for them. If you play your cards right, you can get yourself started with a good rifle and scope and a set of binoculars for under your $1000 budget.

I have to ask since you mentioned the ttsx. I have a new scope ordered for my 270 that hasn’t been shot in a couple years and I was considering making it a lead free option (etip or ttsx) Have you shot the Barnes factory ammo or just hand loading those?
Both. In 25-06, .270, 7mm08, .308 and 300WSM. Handloading 280AI in progress. TTSXs shot great in all the rifles except my son's 7mm08. I had to upgrade to Hammers to get that one to shoot sub MOA.

Maybe look for a used Ruger Model 77 MK II or Hawkeye in 30-06 or 280 Remington. Either cartridge is perfect for just about 95% of hunting in North America.

I really like the 165 gr. Accubond or Partition in the 30-06 and 140 gr. Accubonds or Partitions in the 280 Remington. If you find a used rifle in 280AI that's within your budget that would be a good bet too.

Scopes: Hard to beat a 6x42mm Leupold or a 3.5-10x40mm Leupold with the B&C reticle. If you want a little more power the 4.5-14x40mm Leupold is sweet. I have one and love it. I also have a 6x42mm fixed power Leupold and they are fantastic.

A beginner will be ill equipped to navigate the rabbit hole of tweaking a 300 dollar Rem 700 & it's attendant expense. The 'go-ready' Tikka or Howa with a VX3i schmaltz Lupe is good advice, and within the OP's expressed budget.

Good cartridge selection OP.

What tweaking are you referring to that doesn’t make it “go-ready” as you say?

N2, I've spent a few bucks trying to get fairly expensive 700's to accurize.....my best shooting rifles are 700's. I'm not knocking them...love em. Removing a fore end pressure point, bedding, trigger work, perhaps re-crowning...etc, is not for someone with OP's experience nor stated budget, IMHO.

Now once he breaks the seal and is bitten by the tinkering bug it's a whole nuther story as I'm sure we can agree.

I have operated Sako, A7 (not applicable), Tikka, and Vanguard (Howa)...all MOA out of the box..never did a thing to them.

Last edited:
I'd suggest a Thompson/Center in 7mm-08 and a leupold VX-3i 2.5-8 or 3.5-10

N2, I've spent a few bucks trying to get fairly expensive 700's to accurize.....my best shooting rifles are 700's. I'm not knocking them...love em. Removing a fore end pressure point, bedding, trigger work, perhaps re-crowning...etc, is not for someone with OP's experience nor stated budget, IMHO.

Now once he breaks the seal and is bitten by the tinkering bug it's a whole nuther story as I'm sure we can agree.

I have operated Sako, A7 (not applicable), Tikka, and Vanguard (Howa)...all MOA out of the box..never did a thing to them.

I would figure the plastic stock on the ADL model wouldn’t be a great one. Lol. But, for his budget and the amount he sounded like he might use it, it sounded like it might be a good option to get started. If I’m not mistaken, I think those Walmart ADLs includes a scope. Not sure of the brand of scope, though.

Definitely an expensive hobby once you start down that road. Heck, I’ve had to talk myself out of buying one of those ADLs a dozen times over the last couple of weeks. 😂

I’m a huge 30-06 fan, but if you haven’t shot one then recoil may be a little stout to start with. Maybe a 7-08 or 270, as have been mentioned.

Don’t go with super light bullets. I agree with finding a good load (handload or factory) and sticking with it. I’ve tinkered so much in the past but would have been better off sticking with a good load and practicing with it more.

I really like Nosler Accubonds, and have had wonderful success with them on deer sized game.

I also really like Tikkas, but find what fits you best and go with that. Weatherbys are beautiful and accurate, but the stock configuration just doesn’t fit me. Others really like them. This same concept applies for all brands.

Preferably you need to shoot a few rifles rather than just picking a few up or choosing based on someone else’s recommendation.

For glass, you will be hard pressed to find a better scope for the money than a VX3i, but there are better scopes available for more money. Newbies ought to stay away from dials and gadgetry until they have some experience under their belts.

Most of all, practice in practical field positions up to and beyond the range that you plan to shoot at.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papretzelman
Back