RH, but left-eye dominant

Switch to Dominant Eye?

• Yes, go LH to match up with left-eye dominance.

Votes: 32 50.0%
  • No, too much effort for not much gain.

Votes: 32 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I also have this affliction. I have been shooting a recurve or longbow my whole life. One day I tried out a left handed longbow at a 3D shoot. I shot excellent out to 15 or so yards, but when I backed up I started shooting wide right.

I use my right eye for a rifle, but I end up using my left eye with a pistol. I have kids coming up shooting, and I think it is important to figure out their dominant eye early and arm them accordingly. Otherwise you develop bad habits that are difficult to cure like myself.

I have the same issue. At 62 I am too old to try and change. All of my guns are right handed. As long as I close my left eye I am ok. No issue at all with a scoped rifle/shotgun (turkey gun) or my pistols with open sights. Does cause a few misses when shooting Ducks, Doves, clays, etc. although I can shoot as well as anybody else I hunt with. My grandson changed when he was 10. He is 17 now and shoots great left handed. Glad he made the switch when he did.

I have been closing my left eye and shoot bow , rifle with scope and shotgun right handed. I am almost 70 and have been doing this since my teens so I have had a lot of practice. As said above practice and it will become natural either way.

Making the switch is the best and I believe "correct" move. With that said it can be very difficult and perhaps dangerous for the "more experienced" AKA older shooter. I'm left eye/ right handed and too old to change.
I shoot my pistol right handed with both eyes open slightly adjusting to line up sights w/ left eye. I shoot well but also shoot often and receive training.

For shotgun I use an extra long fiber optic bead (I think from Champion) that is only visible to my right eye. works pretty good for me. In the past I've tried glasses smeared or taped over to create a right eye dominance.

For rifle I set up with both eyes open then squint just prior to shot.

My first range instructor told his students he changed his eye dominance from left to right, although he would not elaborate how. The cadets assumed he yelled and belittled his eye until the dominance was broken;)

I'm left handed but right eye dominant. I shotgun right handed. Give it a solid try and see how it works for you. Any shooting that is done with one eye closed doesn't matter but for scatter guns you need both eyes for depth perception etc.

I'm in the same boat. I picked up this Boyds right action left handed stock for $89. I actually prefer this setup to a LH gun as I work the action better with my dominant hand, I haven't experienced problems in any shooting position.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 100
I'm in the same boat. I picked up this Boyds right action left handed stock for $89. I actually prefer this setup to a LH gun as I work the action better with my dominant hand, I haven't experienced problems in any shooting position.
I've long thought about a similar setup for my kids. The drawback to me is a safety issue. Many bolt actions are designed to vent gas, in case of a blown primer, seperated case, etc, down the opposite side of the action from the shooter. Shooting a 'wrong handed' action negates that feature.

RH dominant. Left eye dominant. I didn't even know there was such a thing when I started shooting. My $.02 is that a new shooter or hunter should shoot with whichever side their dominant eye is on. Someone who is experienced and doesn't have problems shouldn't bother to switch. If you are having problems though, switching to a non dominant hand to coordinate with the dominant eye more likely to help solve the problem than make it worse.

I shoot my bow right handed with both eyes open. I shoot a rifle either hand equally well and IMO everyone should know how to shoot a gun off of either shoulder. There's been several times when I've had game come in on the wrong side of how I was set up and was able to get the gun on them without shifting my position by shooting left handed.

I've long thought about a similar setup for my kids. The drawback to me is a safety issue. Many bolt actions are designed to vent gas, in case of a blown primer, seperated case, etc, down the opposite side of the action from the shooter. Shooting a 'wrong handed' action negates that feature.

I am curious if anybody has found this to be an issue?

I am lucky, RH and right eye dominant, still doesn't stop me missing though!

But i think i am missing something, if you are RH and left eye dominant, where rifle shooting is concerned, once you set up your rifle and scope, it's set for your eye, i would then assume if a person like me picked up your gun it would be way off target.

Cheers

Richard

I'm about the absolute opposite.. Left-handed at absolutely everything except shooting sports. Right eye dominant, shoot rifle/shotgun right-handed, shoot bow right-handed, but write, kick, punch, everything else VERY dominant lefty.

I am lucky, RH and right eye dominant, still doesn't stop me missing though!

But i think i am missing something, if you are RH and left eye dominant, where rifle shooting is concerned, once you set up your rifle and scope, it's set for your eye, i would then assume if a person like me picked up your gun it would be way off target.

Cheers

Richard

Don't have a ton of experience, but I am RH/LE all I've ever shot are borrowed rifles left-handed set up for RH/RE and haven't had any issues.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back