Is it time to switch to left handed shooting?

answer is get a single shot,,i have two and you only need the one shot anyway if time taken with your aim

There is something appealing about an ambidextrous single shot like those from Thompson Center and others. Could solve my problem.

My left dominant eye. I never really thought about this until recently but I shoot with both eyes open and naturally my left eye is the one that is on line with the sights and target. I stand square to the target and I don't have to do any strange stance or cant the pistol in any strange way. I just don't think cross dominance with a pistol is an issue at all.

Makes sense now. Shoot that rifle left handed. Get the rifle and practice sighting and the trigger pull (dry fire) hundreds of times over the summer. Your fine motor skills will shape right up.

Exactly what I do and it works really good for me.

Just my thoughts as I too am left eye dominant but right handed. I honestly have had a lot of conversations with people, and have convinced them a right handed bolt gun is actually built better for a left handed shooter. Sounds bizarre I know, but let me explain. As a right handed shooter fires his gun, he has to release his grip and cheek weld to run the bolt. But a left handed shooter using a "right handed" bolt gun gets to keep his left hand gripped and finger near the trigger, and also keeps his cheek weld, as his strong hand comes off the fore end and runs the bolt.

I've been shooting long range high power rifle competitions for many years, and I can tell you a right hand dominant, left eye dominant shooter who shoots a right handed gun has the advantage EVERY time over a traditional shooting style. I hope that makes sense to you. Trust me, you'll be MUCH better off using a right handed gun, and shooting it left handed and utilizing your dominant eye.

Of all the shooting I've ever done, only twice have I had issues with unburnt powder coming back in my face. Both times it was an auto loader, once an SKS while shooting a crate of ammo, and another time shooting a youth .22.

So think long and hard before you start spending money on a left handed rifle, because if nothing else the rifle selection and accessories are limited, especially in the used market.

-Storm

My young son was in the same situation. He's right handed, but left eye dominant. His shooting became much more accurate after we switched to LH. Beings he was 6 or 7 at the time, it was fairly easy to get him over feeling awkward shooting lefthand. My suggestion for you is to buy a BB/pellet gun. My son's resembles an M4! :D Reason I suggest this is that they are generally accurate enough for practice, and you can practice in your house/garage. I took a 14" square box that is 4" deep and stuffed tight with plastic grocery bags. At 15' and only 3-5 pumps on the gun, the BB's will not exit. He practiced quite a bit in the garage to get the feel of shooting LH down and then we moved on to "real" rifles. For less than $100, you could get 500-1000 rounds of practice it pretty easily. His has a red dot scope on it that came with it, which I liked as he was able to keep both eyes open more easily.

The safety aspect in the, albeit rare case, of a blown primer or case seperation is why my kid will be getting a LH rifle.

Back