Is it time to switch to left handed shooting?

DLaw

Hi everyone. This is my first post here. Reading various threads over the past week I've been very impressed with the tone and quality of this forum. It's such a great resource.

I'm an inexperienced hunter from western Pennsylvania. I've hunted a few times with relatives but have yet to take a deer. This year I want to figure things out on my own. Find my own location on state forest land or a state game land, learn the area, do some scouting, find some spots, and spend a lot of time in the woods.

As I prepare for the fall I'm running into a firearm issue and I keep going back and forth when trying to make a decision. I'm right handed but left eye dominant. I'm a very proficient right handed pistol shooter and have a good amount of professional training with handguns. I've also had professional training shooting an M4 right handed but I'm not nearly as proficient with the rifle.

Looking back, I'm somewhat surprised we didn't take an eye dominance test in my early days of fed firearms training. I've always excelled with a pistol but have been somewhat below average with the long guns. I think it's an eye dominance / quick target acquisition issue.

As I get into hunting I feel like I need to make the decision once and for all. Should I switch to a left handed rifle?

Here are some of the possibly relevant factors:

- Right handed, left eye dominant
- Shoot pistols right handed with no issues at all
- Own one rifle (30/30 lever action that was a wedding gift)
- Two sons.. one left handed, one right handed
[/LIST]

If switching to a left-handed rifle will make me a better hunter I'm willing to do it. At this point, shouldering a rifle left handed feels so odd to me. If I make this switch I will end up with left-handed rifles and right-handed pistols. Is that odd? My oldest son (still only 7 y/o) is left handed so eventually he could use a left handed rifle as well.

Sorry for the long winded post but I'd love some opinions. I'm wavering right now.

Welcome. My advice would be to try to borrow a left-handed rifle for a bit of range time. This would let you find out if you can make the switch and if your accuracy will indeed improve.

My problem is that I am left-handed and left eye dominant, but my left eye is my worst eye. I still shoot pretty well with it, though, so I don't think that I will change at this stage in my life.

Wondering if you have shot multiple rifles, or only your gifted 30/30. If only one rifle, the subpar part of the equation may be the rifle and not you.

Shotgun v handgun v rifle trigger action theoretically should be equal, but I know in my case wishing it were so does not make it so. Same for you?

It may be possible to modify your current rifle stock to get your dominant eye closer to being inline with the bore. A stock maker can bend your stock to add cast or alter the comb. It may be worth while to visit a shotgun stock fitter to develop a "prescription" for your stocks that would help you be a better shot.

Here's a couple of crossover stocks modified for guys with the same problem

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 143
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 148
A lever action is already left hand ready as long as you don't mind the shell ejecting in front of your face. But, as said before sub par on paper may be the gun. Lever actions aren't exactly target guns. If I were trying to switch over I would buy a .22 in a gun similar to what my hunting rifle would be. If you want to keep the 30-30, fine, it will do great in the Pa hardwoods. Just get some sort of .22 like a marlin 39a which will have similar weight and handling. With the .22, you can concentrate on learning instead of recoil and expensive ammo. I think you will be better off making the switch in the long run. It's hard to fight mother nature.

Welcome. My advice would be to try to borrow a left-handed rifle for a bit of range time. This would let you find out if you can make the switch and if your accuracy will indeed improve.

I may try my 30/30 left handed at the range just to see how it feels. I know it's rare but catastrophic failures generally send gasses and powder out through the ejection port so it makes me a little nervous to do it that way. I don't know anyone with a left handed rifle I could borrow at the moment.

I'm not too worried about re-learning trigger control with the left hand -- I already practice weak hand pistol shooting and it's a challenge because of grip strength and not really trigger control. Should be less of an issue with a rifle.

I'm am really interested to see how much better it feels to look through optics with my left eye and not have to close one of my eyes.

Here's a couple of crossover stocks modified for guys with the same problem

I had no idea such a thing existed. Potentially worth exploring if I can't find a better solution. I'm sure that work is not cheap!

A lever action is already left hand ready as long as you don't mind the shell ejecting in front of your face. But, as said before sub par on paper may be the gun. Lever actions aren't exactly target guns. If I were trying to switch over I would buy a .22 in a gun similar to what my hunting rifle would be. If you want to keep the 30-30, fine, it will do great in the Pa hardwoods. Just get some sort of .22 like a marlin 39a which will have similar weight and handling. With the .22, you can concentrate on learning instead of recoil and expensive ammo. I think you will be better off making the switch in the long run. It's hard to fight mother nature.

I really dislike the idea of having my face on the ejection port side. I may try a few practice rounds like that but I think I would always be a nervous doing it that way.

I'll always keep my 30-30 for sentimental reasons but I'm certainly not tied to it as I try to get into hunting a little more. There's nothing fancy or expensive about the 30-30 but I know I'll be passing it down to my right handed son one day.

I like your idea about a .22. It's about time I start teaching my left-handed 7 year old and it would be a shame to force him to use a right handed rifle when he first starts learning. I may look into a smallish bolt-action .22 for lefties.

Wondering if you have shot multiple rifles, or only your gifted 30/30. If only one rifle, the subpar part of the equation may be the rifle and not you.

Shotgun v handgun v rifle trigger action theoretically should be equal, but I know in my case wishing it were so does not make it so. Same for you?

I've shot a lot of different rifles over the years include a lot of time behind an issued M-4. The 30-30 is the only one I've owned. I've shot them all equally below average, especially for rapid acquisition type drills. It just never feels right and I have to close one eye. When I do that it's so hard to see the impact and you loose all your depth perception.

What's interesting is that I'm no good with a rifle but always do well with a pistol where cross-dominance is much less of an issue.

Thanks everyone for the very helpful suggestions.

Along with this thread I did some other research on the issue the issue today and I'm going to attempt to make the switch to a left handed rifle. I'm going to practice shouldering my 30-30 to my left side a bit each day while I look for a left-handed bolt action compact .22. I can use that at the range and teach my son with it as well while I make sure this switch is a good idea. Once I'm convinced, I'll start the search for a left-handed deer rifle. It is nice that I have a left handed son so at least I'll be able to pass down any lefty gun to him.

I really dislike the idea of having my face on the ejection port side. I may try a few practice rounds like that but I think I would always be a nervous doing it that way.

I'll always keep my 30-30 for sentimental reasons but I'm certainly not tied to it as I try to get into hunting a little more. There's nothing fancy or expensive about the 30-30 but I know I'll be passing it down to my right handed son one day.

I like your idea about a .22. It's about time I start teaching my left-handed 7 year old and it would be a shame to force him to use a right handed rifle when he first starts learning. I may look into a smallish bolt-action .22 for lefties.

Don't blame you there. I've got a left handed buddy that shoots a right handed autolaoder. He said it took him years to get used to it. Lots of good left handed guns out there. Given that you may be changing to lefty, I'd start off with a .22 before I bought a rifle. Also a single shot like an encore wouldn't be a waste even if you went back to right handed. Good luck, and keep us posted. Dealing with this with my daughter. I'm trying to make her a left handed shooter before she's too old to care.

Just my thoughts as I too am left eye dominant but right handed. I honestly have had a lot of conversations with people, and have convinced them a right handed bolt gun is actually built better for a left handed shooter. Sounds bizarre I know, but let me explain. As a right handed shooter fires his gun, he has to release his grip and cheek weld to run the bolt. But a left handed shooter using a "right handed" bolt gun gets to keep his left hand gripped and finger near the trigger, and also keeps his cheek weld, as his strong hand comes off the fore end and runs the bolt.

I've been shooting long range high power rifle competitions for many years, and I can tell you a right hand dominant, left eye dominant shooter who shoots a right handed gun has the advantage EVERY time over a traditional shooting style. I hope that makes sense to you. Trust me, you'll be MUCH better off using a right handed gun, and shooting it left handed and utilizing your dominant eye.

Of all the shooting I've ever done, only twice have I had issues with unburnt powder coming back in my face. Both times it was an auto loader, once an SKS while shooting a crate of ammo, and another time shooting a youth .22.

So think long and hard before you start spending money on a left handed rifle, because if nothing else the rifle selection and accessories are limited, especially in the used market.

-Storm

When you shoot the handgun right handed, which eye is targeting?

My left dominant eye. I never really thought about this until recently but I shoot with both eyes open and naturally my left eye is the one that is on line with the sights and target. I stand square to the target and I don't have to do any strange stance or cant the pistol in any strange way. I just don't think cross dominance with a pistol is an issue at all.

Just my thoughts as I too am left eye dominant but right handed. I honestly have had a lot of conversations with people, and have convinced them a right handed bolt gun is actually built better for a left handed shooter. Sounds bizarre I know, but let me explain. As a right handed shooter fires his gun, he has to release his grip and cheek weld to run the bolt. But a left handed shooter using a "right handed" bolt gun gets to keep his left hand gripped and finger near the trigger, and also keeps his cheek weld, as his strong hand comes off the fore end and runs the bolt.

That is interesting and I can see the advantages from certain shooting positions. Shooting off-hand or using a tree as a brace I would think it would be difficult to let go of the rifle with the support hand. I definitely see what you mean when shooting from a bench or prone but would it work for all shooting positions?

I've been shooting long range high power rifle competitions for many years, and I can tell you a right hand dominant, left eye dominant shooter who shoots a right handed gun has the advantage EVERY time over a traditional shooting style. I hope that makes sense to you. Trust me, you'll be MUCH better off using a right handed gun, and shooting it left handed and utilizing your dominant eye.

Of all the shooting I've ever done, only twice have I had issues with unburnt powder coming back in my face. Both times it was an auto loader, once an SKS while shooting a crate of ammo, and another time shooting a youth .22.

So think long and hard before you start spending money on a left handed rifle, because if nothing else the rifle selection and accessories are limited, especially in the used market.

-Storm

This is only an advantage when you are at the range, or shooting prone from a bi-pod while hunting. In many hunting situations, the left-hand rifle is still the best answer. I shot right-handed rifles for a long time before deciding that I am too old not to shoot what I want and what fits. Some lefties are dyed-in-the wool right-handed rifle shooters and that is fine.

I have one right-handed rifle left and I don't mind shooting that type of rifle a bit. I won't buy another one, though, unless I get a steal on it.

i have similar problem but its that my right eye is deterioration due to old age
answer is get a single shot,,i have two and you only need the one shot anyway if time taken with your aim

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back