rattlesnake avoidance class for dogs

jerrym

I hunt deer in central MT and the rancher lets us also shoot sharptails, waterfowl, and huns (no pheasants). I never take my dog because it is mostly a big game hunt, but I am thinking of making a trip before big game season to shoot birds. The area is a little north on Lewistown. I am a little concerned of rattlesnakes and my dog. How many of you guys that hunt central to eastern MT have had your dog through an avoidance class for your dog?

This is a bit of a tangent, butI have both my dogs vaccinated for rattlesnakes, $40-50 per year for each dog. I own a beagle and a puggle (wife's dog), and we ony do this because we spend a lot of time out at the family ranch in wyoming where they can be prevalent. Last August, our 30 pound puggle was bit by a rattlesnake. The vaccine saved her life and the vet just gave her some antibiotics and watched her overnight. She was fine in a day. She did lose a big chunk of skin on her leg due to necrosis and is now a bare scar with no hair. She would have no doubt died in a matter of minutes without the vaccine. While the dog will survive, it is definitely wise to have the avoidance class!

Secondly, as a pharmacist...DO NOT GET BIT BY A RATTLESNAKE!!!!! Crofab, the anti venom costs about $3-4k per vial and most patients require at least 6 to 8 vials. So you better have really good insurance!

My sister (Who lives near Rapid City), recently had her dog bit by a rattlesnake. The dog was vaccinated and per the vet, it was the only thing that saved it's life. The dog jumped and yipped, but she never did see the snake. (Dang "snake in the grass") The dog became lethargic soon after. The vet had suspiciions, but it wasn't until the dog was shaved that they knew what happened.

Jerry, I only live 80 miles from Lewistown. I can tell you that your concern is valid and over here just to the East of Lewistown the rattle snakes have been out in force. It's so bad that every time I go for a hike I look as jumpy as Barney Fife (Don Knotts) hopped up on speed. I can't even begin to tell you how much I hate snakes and this year has done nothing to calm my attitude. I took this picture just a few weeks ago and its been way too common of a sight. I've seen a bunch since this photo was taken, I just happen to have had a camera with me on this day.
RattleSnakeJuly13Fridaythe13th.jpg

Get them vaccinated and then call the Vets here in Lewistown to see if they are prepared for snake bites. It has been getting down into the very low 40s and upper 30's lately so snakes are going to slow in the morning and out on the roads throughout the day. You need to be careful because the dog may not get bit but the snake will most certainly be ready for you as you follow the dog's patterns.

Since I'm in SC, I can't speak to the issue out West. I can tell everyone that down here, there have been a higher than normal incidence of rattlesnake encounters. Although, they can and will swim, rattlers don't like water; so, with all of the rain and the swamps flooding, they have moved to higher ground. Travis saw one less than 75 yards from the house, Sunday a week ago. Unfortunately, he didn't have a gun with him. I don't go out of the house without a pistol loaded with snake shot. Also, down here, we have to be on the lookout for water moccasins when deer hunting, since their den's are now flooded out they're moving a lot more, too.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I had some questions regarding rattlers too.

Are they pretty bad all over the west this year? I'll be in eastern Wyoming in 4 weeks and I wanted to know what people do to protect themselves. I did a decent amount of walking last year in the same area, but I didn't see any. With that said, it was mostly flat antelope country. We'll be hunting mule deer this year also, which means a lot more miles on the boots, more ravines and rocky areas and more sage brush. What kind of normal precautions do you all take? I like to hike in early to a good vantage point and glass. Is there much danger hiking in an area like this in the dark (when it's typically a little cooler)?

Do you all wear gators or just good heavy duty hiking boots? Thanks in advance and sorry again for diverting the conversation away from the original topic.

Our Yorkie took a hit from a Rattlesnake under the Deck of our Cabin in Central Arkansas 2 weeks ago. I got it the next morning, about 15". I think it was just a nick as the long hair on the dog must have saved it. We were lucky! John

Thanks for all the replies. I definitely will get her vaccinated if we come over in the early season. I doubt it will happen this year between teaching and coaching my weekends will be busy. I ran it by all my hunting buddies and they don't want to go that far for birds. That is sad, I am getting more into bird hunting then big game hunting.

It is hard to come over by myself with gas at 3.70/gallon. We will hunt deer right before Thanksgiving so we will be safe, 2 years ago it was -25. I would love to take my dog this year if I spent more time but it is usually 3 days. Last year I got my deer the last day, I could shoot the first buck I see and then bird hunt. Thanks again.

I have put my lab through it, and I'm not really sure it helped all that much. After all, he's a male lab. Not exactly the brightest creature on God's earth. He still eats food off of the table after being beaten endless times for it.

It wouldn't hurt to do the avoidance training, but I think my next do will just get the vaccination only.

Hunt the mornings and knock off by noon early in the year. When hunting chukars early we usually knock off by 10 am or so. Snakes are just getting loosey goosey by then.

Some of the guys I know down in South Texas put their tracking dogs through the "avoidance" class. It definitely works. Those dogs avoid them like the plague after the first run. It's saved quite a few very valuable dogs. If my lab was a working dog, it would be worth it.

I was kidding Mthuntr, I forgot to put a little smiley face by my last statement. I don't want to go over there and shoot a little deer. I see you live in Lewistown, was there any die off this year from blue tongue in the whitetail population?

jerrym, i have hunted just north and east of Lewistown several times in the past 2 seasons and the folks that own the ranch would always make a big deal about warning about an unusual abundance of snakes in the area. They acted like the closer you got to black butte, the worse it was. I had no problems whatsoever. As for training the dogs, we snake broke our curs by using a really large bullsnake with a bad attitude and the dogs on a check cord with lotsa verbal no, no's. Worked great! Two of the dogs just quietly go around the snakes now, and one will bark treed and circle the snake at a distance. Rattlers drive me nuts, because I can't hear them. I walked up on a 50 incher one day down at the house and he coiled up and started buzzing for all he was worth, I could not hear him from 4 feet away. My boys could hear him from about 30 yards. While bird hunting, I don't relax till snow covers the ground. Don't sweat it, use reasonable caution and have fun.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back