DOGS - A Book Chapter Narration from p. 56 of "Dove Hunting" by Charley Dickey, 1976

TomTeriffic

The most heart-warming thing about hunting doves and other game with a gun is having a well-trained, loyal and loving K9 companion afield. The hunting dog is important for the conservation of game and the dog can even let you know if birds are coming in case you did not see them of hear them yourself. In spite of text in this book, you should not let your male dog chase stray bitches as a reward. He can get hurt by an automobile or impregnate stray bitches if he has not had a canine vasectomy. I am troubled by all these dove hunting videos I see this day and age without the employment or retrieving dogs afield.

Source publication:

Galahad Books New York City (January 1, 1976)
Language ‏ : ‎ English
Hardcover ‏ : ‎ 112 pages
ISBN-10 ‏ : ‎ 0883653362
ISBN-13 ‏ : ‎ 978-0883653364

Author's Dedication: "To Dave and all those boys in the back room."

Could probably take a dog turd from one of those errant dogs you’re talking about, put it on a pepper with cream cheese and wrap it in bacon and have it turn out. I personally like doves and pigeons but they don’t need all that crap on them to make them taste good.

I hear they are good wrapped in bacon, cream cheese and jalapeno. I hope you don't let your male dog loose to chase stray bitches or for any other reason.
You hear? Have you ever shot a dove and eaten it? Nobody I know uses a dog to retrieve doves. Not to say it doesn't happen, though. Not sure why you are "troubled" by not using one. Where did you come up with letting your dog roam free to search out a piece of tail as a "reward"?

How many mindless pieces of drivel can one guy post online?
e522680

You hear? Have you ever shot a dove and eaten it? Nobody I know uses a dog to retrieve doves. Not to say it doesn't happen, though. Not sure why you are "troubled" by not using one. Where did you come up with letting your dog roam free to search out a piece of tail as a "reward"?

How many mindless pieces of drivel can one guy post online?
e522680

Drivel? It came directly from the book which I cited here. If you don't believe me, please purchase the book and read it yourself. This book was published in 1976. This book's author states that millions of doves are wasted each season due to lack of retrieval by dog. Humans just don't have a dog's keen senses. Your shot bird might drop into a water hole. Do you want to swim for it? Can you smell out a bird dropped in cover with your own nose?

Some folks you know just might let shot birds go to waste. Do they find each and every bird they hit or think they hit? Can they recover all the cripples dogless? Food waste. Yes, that troubles my conscience.

Last edited:
All I'm trying to figure out is if an AI would edit, just to throw us of it's scent. Also, does AI have a scent. Carry on.

1681154339218.png

You didn't answer my other questions. Ever hunted doves? Probably not. Got your info from a 50 year old book. Great. Just how relevant is that today? "MILLIONS" of doves lost per year? Gotta call bullshit on that one. You have no clue about dove hunting or the places they are hunted in.

How about you get out of mom's basement, go out in the real world and look around. All you EVER do here is post up weird stuff with some link added in for a video and proclaim that your ideas of things are how it should be done. You NEVER add anything to someone else's thread.

You didn't answer my other questions. Ever hunted doves? Probably not. Got your info from a 50 year old book. Great. Just how relevant is that today? "MILLIONS" of doves lost per year? Gotta call bullshit on that one. You have no clue about dove hunting or the places they are hunted in.

How about you get out of mom's basement, go out in the real world and look around. All you EVER do here is post up weird stuff with some link added in for a video and proclaim that your ideas of things are how it should be done. You NEVER add anything to someone else's thread.
The simple answer is NO. I'm more interested in the dog aspects of wingshooting than the shotgun aspects. Any damfool can buy a dozen boxes of shells and bang away at dove all day long. If a man were to take a mourning limit with just one 25-count box of shells and recover each and every one of those 15 birds, I would gladly shake his hand.

Not many folks here seem to make new threads often. I seem to outpace everybody else here. If Dave N were to make a new thread right now, I would gladly pay it a visit to add something to it just to oblige. I don't like to try to add stuff to threads that are stale date-wise. I seemed to get followed a lot by some folks here. Some web forums are much more stale than others. New threads are far and few between. Who in the devil is going to read a thread made back in 2015?

Last edited:
If i shoot a collared dove off the bird feeder in the back yard should I let my untrained dog after it or should I retrieve it myself?

Who in the devil is going to read a thread made back in 2015?
Maybe someone that reads a book from 1976 and takes it as gospel.

There are plenty of new threads here. Some even started by myself. But you would know that since you are now following me. Feel free to participate in any of these you would like.

If i shoot a collared dove off the bird feeder in the back yard should I let my untrained dog after it or should I retrieve it myself?
What kind of gun would you use and is it properly marked and stamped? Are there any stray bitches nearby that might be a problem? Would you promptly clean said dove to eat and how would it be prepared? Is your grass mowed in a classic manner enabling you to quickly locate the dove so it's not wasted? We need details!

I use the classy 2x4-stocked cross man in .22 caliber. Stamping is iffy at best. When my fence-jumping dog takes a leap, you could consider her stray. If I felt like I could shoot a few, I’d wait for multiples before cleaning. If one and done, fire up the grill just for that one. Propane be damned! I also would it like a mostly-civilized cave man. No peppers, bacon or cream cheese harmed in the making of a proper invasive dove breast. Just maybe some salt and pepper, cooked medium rare. Back to the cave man part, I hate lawns. Monocultures suck. My backyard is currently dirt scattered with weeds and dead leaves, however locating fallen doves for a sportly retrieve doesn’t seem to be too challenging.

Dave, I’m so glad you ask the hard questions.

I use the classy 2x4-stocked cross man in .22 caliber. Stamping is iffy at best. When my fence-jumping dog takes a leap, you could consider her stray. If I felt like I could shoot a few, I’d wait for multiples before cleaning. If one and done, fire up the grill just for that one. Propane be damned! I also would it like a mostly-civilized cave man. No peppers, bacon or cream cheese harmed in the making of a proper invasive dove breast. Just maybe some salt and pepper, cooked medium rare. Back to the cave man part, I hate lawns. Monocultures suck. My backyard is currently dirt scattered with weeds and dead leaves, however locating fallen doves for a sportly retrieve doesn’t seem to be too challenging.

Dave, I’m so glad you ask the hard questions.
Inquiring minds, you know. ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back