Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Upland 20 gauge recommendations

USAF Ret

Hi. I am setting up a hunt on a nearby game preserve for me and my late son's best friend. It will be very special. This hunt is for pheasant, chukkar and quail. I don't have an upland shotgun. I would like to buy an semi-auto gas operated 20 gauge for this hunt, and maybe future hunts. Maybe even some duck hunting for woodies.

I do not want to get something cheap, but I don't want to break the bank. I think $700 is my cap. Right now I am looking at the Beretta A300 and the Tristar Viper. I did call for a quote on a new Remington 1100. I may break the bank a little for that one.

Any other shotguns I may have missed? What are your thoughts on my choices? Do you have one of these?

Sounds like a special hunt indeed- You're already looking at the two that I was going to recommend- Tristar off of reviews; A300 from very little, but positive, personal experience.

Have you looked at the Weatherby Element at all? In your price range, and seems to have good reviews. Inertia driven action versus gas-operated.

Might be because I hunt birds in really thick cover, but I like a relatively short barrel. On a pump or semiauto, 24" is a great length for upland hunting. I can't imagine hunting grouse with a 28" barrel. So personally, I'd rule out any pump, or semiauto shotgun that didn't come with a 26" or shorter barrel.

Also, give a little thought to your LOP. If you're an average size guy, you're likely fine, but my LOP is really long, so I'd want to make sure that the stock on this shotgun would be relatively easy to add spacers/new pad to. Some of them have crazy angles in them that require you to cut length off the stock in order to square it up and be able to add spacers (or with synthetic stocks, some are impossible to alter).
Getting the correct LOP on an upland shotgun is a gamechanger. It baffles me that so few shotguns are designed around the thought that people might change the LOP...

The Beretta is a solid gun.

I've shot a Tri-Star and was really impressed with it, for what it's worth. That was a 12 though.

Fit and weight are your two biggest concerns, really. If it fits, and you like it, get it. For upland, you're carrying the gun far more than shooting it. Lightweight is important.

Love my beretta 12ga, would not hesitate to buy any of the A series in 20.
My current 20ga is a Weatherby Element Upland.
It isn't a fancy gun, but still looks okay and shoulders spectacularly for me.
My LOP is above average, used an included shim and am good to go

How about a Winchester Model 50? I believe there’s a few on Gunbroker right now.

Attachments

• A6ACAD0B-655B-47DF-9467-E6DCB65CB9BF.jpeg
    A6ACAD0B-655B-47DF-9467-E6DCB65CB9BF.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 22
Also, give a little thought to your LOP. If you're an average size guy, you're likely fine, but my LOP is really long, so I'd want to make sure that the stock on this shotgun would be relatively easy to add spacers/new pad to. Some of them have crazy angles in them that require you to cut length off the stock in order to square it up and be able to add spacers (or with synthetic stocks, some are impossible to alter).
Getting the correct LOP on an upland shotgun is a gamechanger. It baffles me that so few shotguns are designed around the thought that people might change the LOP...
I have a pretty short LOP. That's why I like the A300. LOP adjustable.

Have you looked at the Weatherby Element at all? In your price range, and seems to have good reviews. Inertia driven action versus gas-operated.
I really want a gas operated. I have upper spine, shoulder and neck injuries. I do rifle shooting and cannot handle anything bigger than a 308 with a break or can.

The Beretta is a solid gun.

I've shot a Tri-Star and was really impressed with it, for what it's worth. That was a 12 though.

Fit and weight are your two biggest concerns, really. If it fits, and you like it, get it. For upland, you're carrying the gun far more than shooting it. Lightweight is important.
Thank you.

Forget the semi auto, a few months ago my dad bought a CZ 20ga side by side on sale at Scheels that is a great gun...
I would love that or an O/U. I just like the reduced recoil with a gas operated semi-auto.

stoeger 3020 the youth model has a shorter pull, adj shims for stock, and a slip on limbsaver you can adj length also,,, i bought one this year 479.00 cabelas, black one, shot over 400rounds this year

stoeger 3020 the youth model has a shorter pull, adj shims for stock, and a slip on limbsaver you can adj length also,,, i bought one this year 479.00 cabelas, black one, shot over 400rounds this year
I had always wondered about the Stoeger. They have the same operating system as Benelli, correct?

The Franchis are good guns as well.

I've not heard of many good experiences with Stoeger shotguns. It does not seems like the quality control is as good as other brands. Lots of jamming, doubling, etc.

The kickoff strings the recoil impulse out so long it feels much lighter. Other guns are as good otherwise, but none are better. The A400 shoots softer yet, but that's over budget.

I had a tristar viper in 20ga that I gave to my niece. Her and my sister shot trap a lot with it then traded it away for $400. It was having reliability issues with feeding rounds. Niece then bought an o/u. I shoot upland with an o/u or sxs. But for waterfowl I use a benelli semi auto I inherited. Rem 1100 work well, owned one of them before. If I was buying a new semi auto, the winchester sx4 would be my pick in your price range - Ive seen family members shoot them without issue in terrible conditions, which is how I judge function.

I had a tristar viper in 20ga that I gave to my niece. Her and my sister shot trap a lot with it then traded it away for $400. It was having reliability issues with feeding rounds. Niece then bought an o/u. I shoot upland with an o/u or sxs. But for waterfowl I use a benelli semi auto I inherited. Rem 1100 work well, owned one of them before. If I was buying a new semi auto, the winchester sx4 would be my pick in your price range - Ive seen family members shoot them without issue in terrible conditions, which is how I judge function.
Looking at the SX4, the going prices start at $800. A bit above what I wanted to spend. Very nice shotgun.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back