Upland 20 gauge recommendations

I shy away from anything made in Turkey. My son has shot out two different turkish guns, both over/under, shooting 4H and SCTP. He killed a 20 gauge with repeated broken firing pins and a 12 gauge with repeated broken firing pins and a barrel/monoblock failure. The biggest issue is parts availability. I get it, they are inexpensive shotguns and won't last forever. But the parts are often unobtainable for even simple repairs. The SX4's get good reviews and are similar to the Browning Silvers. Both have had rebates running all through the holidays. Keep an eye open for rebates.

I have, and love, a Franchi....but since you said gas gun and 20 ga I would DEFINITELY recommend the Beretta. In 20ga or even the 3" 12 they are great guns for the money.

Have you looked at the Weatherby Element at all? In your price range, and seems to have good reviews. Inertia driven action versus gas-operated.
A damn smooth action at that. It was a pleasant surprise to mess with one.

I've been looking at Stoeger O/U 20ga shotguns lately for small birds like doves and grouse.... Not what you're asking for, sorry. Been looking at Browning A5 sweet 16 a lot too..

Have you looked at the Weatherby Element at all? In your price range, and seems to have good reviews. Inertia driven action versus gas-operated.
It sounds like an Element is not the right shotgun for the OP but I’ll share this for anyone else looking for a shotgun. I bought a used element 20 gauge this fall to use at times when I don’t want to take a really nice shotgun. The barrel was clean so I didn’t even consider breaking the gun down and cleaning it good. That well used element worked flawlessly all fall. When I broke it down in November to give it a good end of fall cleaning I couldn’t believe how dirty it was, yet it cycled flawlessly. The Element is definitely a warrior in the field.

Go to a local store with a large selection. Shoulder and point each gun. Buy the one that points most naturally for you.

Well, I went off the reservation for the question I asked. Did a lot of looking today and went to my LGS and chatted with him and looked through inventory. I ended up getting a CZ Drake All-Terrain. I fell for the looks, plus CZ O/U shotguns have a great rep. I can also duck hunt with it since it has cerakote and won't shine or rust. I am weak and in my old age, impulsive with firearm purchases. Oh well.

Drake All-Terrain.jpg

Several of my hunting buddies have CZ over/under shotguns, and they all have great things to say about them. Enjoy your special hunt!

Several of my hunting buddies have CZ over/under shotguns, and they all have great things to say about them. Enjoy your special hunt!
Thank you. I am booking it tomorrow for the second week in February. My son's friend is very excited.

I found a CZ720 on an auction last year. Wish I would have done my research. Avoid that one. Mine needs doctoring. In 100 rounds I haven’t found it to be more than an overly complicated single shot.

I have a pretty short LOP. That's why I like the A300. LOP adjustable.
Have you considered the Winchester SX4?
It comes with spacers to adjust the Length of Pull.
Very durable and dependent.
There is also a compact model with a short 13 inch Length of Pull
as well as a left handed model.
compact model link
I've shot hundreds of rounds in my SX4 and never had a problem.

Well, I went off the reservation for the question I asked. Did a lot of looking today and went to my LGS and chatted with him and looked through inventory. I ended up getting a CZ Drake All-Terrain. I fell for the looks, plus CZ O/U shotguns have a great rep. I can also duck hunt with it since it has cerakote and won't shine or rust. I am weak and in my old age, impulsive with firearm purchases. Oh well.

View attachment 309803

This is your free pass gun.

You still need the autoloader. ;)

Forget the semi auto, a few months ago my dad bought a CZ 20ga side by side on sale at Scheels that is a great gun...
CZ is the most amazing gun I shot in my 52 years. I bought a Quail 20 ga and it is the bomb. O/U Looks like it is a $3k gun but I bought for $600 My buddies marvel at my shooting and its not me its the gun literally. That thing shoots!

This is your free pass gun.

You still need the autoloader. ;)
Agreed! Plus, the o/u in a duck blind is more difficult to use. Could argue that it can be dangerous 😏.

Have you considered the Winchester SX4?
It comes with spacers to adjust the Length of Pull.
Very durable and dependent.
There is also a compact model with a short 13 inch Length of Pull
as well as a left handed model.
compact model link
I've shot hundreds of rounds in my SX4 and never had a problem.
Thanks for that share. Keeping the sx4 compact in mind for my son when hes bigger.

Well, I reckon I could, but this is for pheasant.
I've looked at those a time or two in case I need a replacement for my turkey gun. The ol' Yildiz has loosened up some, but it's still hanging in there. I kill most gobblers with a .410 anymore so it'll probably last.

You'll want to keep your thumb on the same side of the stock as your fingers, especially on high birds. I learned that lesson that hard way as a lad knocking sq out the top of tall pines with a lightweight 20ga and high brass game loads.

Looking at the SX4, the going prices start at $800. A bit above what I wanted to spend. Very nice shotgun.
I have one of these in 20 gauge, and several 12 gauges. They have been incredibly reliable for me, and I like them very much.

i sold my Benellis after being seriously disappointed - I’ll never have another inertia gun. I had M2s and Vincis.

... Plus, the o/u in a duck blind is more difficult to use. Could argue that it can be dangerous 😏. ...
I have one of the CZ OUs in the All-Terrain configuration. They have magnets in the extractors that hold the shells in when the gun is open, so you can load them with the barrel pointing up. I'm not a duck hunter, but I would think that would make them much easier to handle in a blind. Mine is the CZ Upland Ultralight 20, BTW, which comes in at less than 6 pounds. Love it so far.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back