Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

20 Gauge Pheasant Loads?

Last year I was pheasant hunting and they were getting up wild due to the wind. I had picked up a case of 3” 2 stell that day and it hammered them lol. The next couple days the wind dropped off and I kept using them. Could have switched back to the 4 or 6 lead I had in the truck as they were all holding tight then. I also had lots of confidence with that steel. I had shot probably a case already that fall in waterfowl so I was super confident in leads with that shell

“If this it the same refuge you usually hunt, that is not the case. Right or wrong, your statement is not correct”.
As for the OP. I use 3" 4 lead. When on refuges, I use my waterfowl loads, Steel 2 or 3s.
@mtmiller your statment is incorrect.

They have required hunters to wear orange in the past. This regulation has recently changed.

“National Wildlife Refuge is no longer requiring blaze orange clothing when hunting upland gamebirds. As with the State regulations, it is strongly recommended that hunters wear at least an orange hat to reduce the chance of an accident. This change was made to be consistent with state regulations pertaining to upland gamebird hunting”. - Sept 2022

Hevi steel #2 or #3 shot, extended range choke. I hunt a lot of spots that require steel so I haven't bought lead in years, easier than swapping shells all the time.

I'm glad you posted this. I just bought my 1st O/U 20ga intended for ring-necks. The Local-Yocal's claim high base 7 1/2's are "Ta Die Fore" ....But I'm of the mind set that a 2 3/4" Hi base load of 5's or 6's should fluff some feathers if properly centered.

"Go Forth and slay critters..."

Thus say the 20Ga, Thus say HT.

Killed quite a few with 20 gauge lead 5s and boss bismuth 5s this fall over the new pup. IC or Mod choke depending on the cover was all that was needed. 3" loads in either are great, but also could be a little overkill.

I have shot literally hundreds of pheasants with my old 12 gauge 3" magnum Browning A-5. I generally have the recoil spring and friction brake changed to 2.75" but due to steel ammo shortages the last couple years I have often been compelled to use 3" shells on the federal refuge. I throw on the skeet choke and it works well. Rarely blow up a bird. I'm a firm believer in sticking with the same gun. My skeet average with this old A-5 is 22.5/25. I don't miss many roosters either. Or honkers.20211007_102524.jpgBlack Beauty 2(1).JPG

2 3/4 with 1oz 5 if i am hunting sharppies and phesant, after i give up on sharpies i go to same load in #4, few years ago i bought 40 cases,, a pallet load, from a sporting goods store for stupid cheap, like 8.00 box, my handloads are 1 ounce at 1300fps #4 in a chedite case with longshot, i have a few 5 gallon buckets of them,,,,,

I’ve been using 1 oz #6 at 1350 this year for pheasants and blue grouse in the 20. No complaints.

i think some time patterning your shotgun with a few differnt loads will be time well spent,,,

you might find out your gun shoots low left and 30 yards, has big holes in the pattern, or everything is just fine,,,

i shoot imp cyl and imp mod extended ported tubes in my o/u and sxs guns,,,

6 and 5 in the beginning as it gets later 5 and 4 i use a double barrel and throw a loser pattern first and follow up with larger lead and a tighter patter but 5's will do the trick all season and lead or copper plated lead

Have never hunted pheasant and most of my bird hunting experience is pass shooting dove on powerline ROWs in the South, so I need a little advice on preferred 20 gauge loads for pheasant. Steel, bismuth, copper-plated or regular lead? Shot size? 2 3/4" or 3"? Brand? Preferred choke for jump shooting over dogs?

I'm leaning toward 3" non-toxic in 5 or 6 but am open to suggestion.
Was talking to a professional pheasant guide in South Dakota a month ago - his preferred set up was regular vanilla #5 lead shot in 2 3/4” shells paired with an improved choke. Spending $20+ per box for “upland” pheasant loads is mostly marketing…

Was talking to a professional pheasant guide in South Dakota a month ago - his preferred set up was regular vanilla #5 lead shot in 2 3/4” shells paired with an improved choke. Spending $20+ per box for “upland” pheasant loads is mostly marketing…
Best load for hunting private and certain public lands. Otherwise, using exclusively lead will prevent you from hunting a lot of really good ground, legally.

Of the ones you mentioned they all will have a different fit or feel. You have to decide by handling them. I have shot shotguns for over 50 years, taught shooting classes, and know one thing. Everybody is different when it comes to shotguns. What I like the feel and fits me best might not be right for you. Would you want people on this forum picking out your spouse? I shoot my winchester sx3 best for bird hunting, so it is the best for me. That means nothing to anybody else other than they might try it with a bunch of others. Good Luck.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back