Yeti GOBOX Collection

Putting the welfare, in WELFARE RANCHERS

BuzzH

Grazing fee drops seven cents

by Brodie Farquhar

The fee for grazing on federal lands in the West has been lowered seven cents to $1.35, as low as it is legally allowed to fall.

Wyoming ranchers applaud the shift as appropriate, but say it reflects bad times for livestock producers.

"The lower grazing fee is actually bad news," said Bryce Reece, executive director for the Wyoming Wool Growers.

Because the grazing fee formula is pegged to the economy and prices are down, the lower grazing fee is simply another signal of tough times for the livestock industry, he said.

At $1.35 per animal unit month (AUM) for 2003, the fee rests on a floor established by Congress in 1978 and confirmed by an executive order in 1978. An animal unit month is the amount of forage needed to sustain one cow and her calf or a horse or five sheep for a month.

The 7-cent shift means $647,061 less revenue for the Bureau of Land Management, assuming that 2002 AUM numbers stay constant for 2003. They may not, given industry trends. Wildfires and the ongoing drought have pushed about a million AUM in livestock off of BLM lands.

According to BLM spokesman Tom Gorey, BLM had 10,087,988 AUMs on all its rangelands in 1999.

"That's dropped 20 percent since then," Gorey said, to 8,088,261 in 2002.

Ranchers are already economically stressed by the market and drought, so paying 7-cents less per AUM helps a little bit, Magagna said.

"Every little bit helps," said Jim Magagna, executive director of the Wyoming Stock Growers.

The lower AUM is fair, he said, since the drought has lowered the amount of forage on BLM lands and its nutritional value.

Grazing foe Jon Marvel, director of the Western Watersheds Project, called the grazing fee "an absurd anachronism. It is past time to have market-based grazing fees."

Marvel said the grazing fee formula bears "no relationship to the value of the land," and so subsidizes livestock producers.

"It is ironic that an administration that favors capitalism would advocate a command and control, Stalinist system when it comes to allocation of grazing lands," Marvel said.

The conservative Political Economy Research Center (PERC) in Bozeman, Mont., has given the Bush Administration a "C-" grade on public lands grazing, mostly because Bush hasn't required grazing permitees to post bonds for the environmental consequences of their actions, and hasn't allowed the exchange of grazing permits between willing sellers and willing buyers -- including environmental groups like Marvel's.

"We do agree that grazing fees are low compared to private grazing," said Jane Shaw, a senior associate and PERC editor.

PERC is a nonprofit research and educational organization with a goal of seeking market solutions to environmental problems.

The annually adjusted grazing fee is computed by using a 1966 base value of $1.23 per AUM for livestock grazing on public lands in Western States, Gorey said . The figure is then adjusted according to three factors -- current private grazing land lease rates, beef cattle prices, and the cost of livestock production. Based on the formula, the 2003 fee dropped primarily because of a decline in beef cattle prices in 2002.

The $1.35 per AUM grazing fee, which takes effect March 1, applies to 16 Western states on public lands administered by the BLM and the Forest Service.

Wyoming BLM manages approximately 18.1 million acres of public rangeland, and 1.3 million AUMs are authorized, with 1.1 million for cattle and 186,877 for sheep.

AUM data for the national forests in Wyoming was not immediately available.

I guess some things never change, like the value of grazing fees. Then they wonder why the government cant make any money.

eek.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-07-2003 16:09: Message edited by: BuzzH ]</font>

Many people don't know that an AUM (animal unit month) means one cow and a calf, or five sheep. So, the welfare ranchers get to let one cow with a calf graze on public land for one month for $1.35, or five sheep for $1.35. And the whole time they're doing it they are bitching about the gummint!

Now, how much does it cost to feed your canary for one month?

See why it's called "welfare ranching?
biggrin.gif
And the welfare ranchers are so greedy they don't even leave one inch of grass stubble for wildlife! And they try to cheat and leave their cattle out on the range longer than they're supposed to.

You're a taxpayer. Do you think this is a good deal for getting to graze your land and destroy wildlife habitat that could make our hunting and fishing much more productive? Remember, 60% of all BLM is in "poor" condition due to grazing.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-07-2003 18:25: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

Ah, I got on here to post this story but Buzz beat me to it.

So, the silence is deafening. No comments on whether or not this is a good deal for John Q. Public?

Oak

Tell us, How much do you guys pay for that land? Nothing, just what I thought.
I had a 40 parcel of BLM that I decided instead of arguing with anyone over I have fenced it out of my pasture. You're welcome to it, tho there is no access to it. How much was it worth to ya? I'll bet a whole lot less than it was to me, BTW I paid the entire amount to fence, nothing came from any of you or the gov't. Guarentee ya that piece of gov't land was in ahelluva lot better shape because of me standing up to the bs rules of the blm. real smart of you all to swear at the farmers with your mouth full of food.

Hey Lostagain, so, you're basically saying that public lands grazing has kept up with the price of everything else?

Lets see...the rates havent changed since 1978, I wonder how much a person paid for trucks, houses, BEEF STEAK, etc. in 1978?

Yet, you're telling me that grazing fees arent worth anymore? Thats BS.

I shouldnt have to pay jack shit, above and beyond my federal tax withholding. I aint making a damn thing off that BLM land, but the welfare ranchers sure are. My cows arent eating the grass, why should I pay for it? Sadly though, I DO pay for it, because the welfare ranchers have to be subsidized so they can still get their leases at the same rates they did in 1978! The public should be outraged! I sure wish I could still buy a house for $35,000 in Missoula too. I guess I need to find a way for the rest of the country to subsidize me, so I can...it would be no different than whats going on with public lands ranchers.

It would appear that the welfare ranchers are cutting a very FAT hog in the ass.

Money for improvements on even private land can come from NRCS Equip funds. Therefore, I can even pay for improvements on private land. I'm not complaining. I do feel that public land should be managed for the benefit of the whole public and to me that means healthy land. Sure would like to get gas for the price it was going for in '78. Heck, after this Iraq thing even that may be possible!
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif

Managers that work toward a healthier landscape are not only benefitting society in general but themselves as well. It is a no-brainer that a healthy landscape will support more cattle in the long run than one that is pounded for years.

I don't talk in stereotypes tho some of you do. Personally.... I pay for the fences, water, water storage and distrib, roads maintaince, weed control, dealing with sportsmen who donot know what is private and what is public b/c they're too damn stubborn to care. You bet, you and the blm kick in on taking care of your land then it would be worth renting it for more. The rates are the same b/c the amount of responsibilities have shifted from you to me. It used (before my time) to be a helluva deal, but anymore its the shits.....I don't want nothing more to do with your land, so kindly take it and shove it. You are telling me when I can have my stock on your land even when they shouldn't be and then fine me when I will not put them there b/c it'll damage the range. You people swearing at the farmer I sure hope you like unsafe, costly food b/c you're not going to have independent US ag people much longer.

LA, its still a good deal...or it wouldnt be leased.

I dont think we'll have unsafe food because of small individual ag producers going out of business...hell most of the successful AG businesses are big conglomerates now anyway. They still have to adhere to quality standards, so why the worry?

As for cost, the Ag community has forced prices low. If economics 101 kicks in, it will be better times for the ones that survive.

I dont give a shit about beef anyway, I hate it and rarely eat it. Thats why I smack a bunch of big-game every year, then I dont have to guess at the quality.

The management of federal lands will only get more contentious as we move to a more urban society. This is one of the few times in history where a society/government has had to ability to conserve wildlands and not just use land for food production.

for sure buzz, we'll just use our military to go take the food from what ever other country has it when we want it, just like we are now with the oil in th emiddle east.

LA, Sounds like a bunch of sour grapes on your part. I like the idea of having a free market in the free enterprise system. As much as possible, anyway. Ranchers think they're entitled to subsidies and guarentees. It's time they got over it. There's plenty of opportunities for anyone who wants to work.

The US is importing lots of beef now. You think we can't import a lot more? And we don't seem to have any problem producing all the other food we need.

I'm tired of the ag community trying to make it sound like we're all going to starve if they go out of business. And I'm tired of hearing about how they're going to sell all their land to developers. All they ever do is make veiled threats and whine.

Well , you eco-whiners need to contact all of your congressmen . The formula for calculating grazing fees is set by law passed by YOUR representatives . It seems the US Congress considers food production more important than some of you do.....

Some of you are great ones for insisting that the letter of the law should always be obeyed .

In fact , the cattle prices received by the farm/ranch sector are very similar to those received in 1978 . Any beef price increases you see in the store are due to the vastly increased ranch to retail spread........

Good logic Ithaca . Import more or all of our food from developing countries , put more of our own citizens out of work , while raping someone else's enviroment . In the meantime , maintain our land in a pristine , park-like manner .

Seems pretty selfish to me . Bill Clinton had the same idea .

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-10-2003 07:45: Message edited by: sdgunslinger ]</font>

Who's bright idea was NAFTA ? Pretty much majorities in both major parties , since most all of them are in the pockets of the multi-national corporations........NAFTA was ratified during Clinton's administration with his blessing .

I would think you like NAFTA Buzz , since you have said you are in favor of chopping down Canada's trees for our lumber needs , while preserving our forests .....

What I find interesting about the article above was the 20% reduction in alloted AUM s by the BLM in the last few years . Couple that with the data I found on a link off of Marvel's pages
biggrin.gif
;

http://www.rangenet.org/tools/blmgrazing/

; and you have a whopping 50% reduction in BLM grazing since 1950 .

50% and some of you green-whiners still ain't satisfied ............
biggrin.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-10-2003 08:44: Message edited by: sdgunslinger ]</font>

sd, We can easily produce a lot more food in this country. We actually produce a surplus now. As for beef, we're importing more all the time. Go talk to McDonalds about it if you don't like it.

"In the meantime , maintain our land in a pristine , park-like manner ."

That's right---OUR LAND, gummint land should be maintained in excellent condition. Just like I want my own land. No abuse. Recreational values have to be an important part of the equation. It's possible to graze responsibly and not abuse the land. You and your rancher buddies don't seem to know that yet.

Remember--60% of all BLM is in "POOR" condition due to grazing.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-10-2003 08:48: Message edited by: Ithaca 37 ]</font>

Ithaca , what you and your green friends don't seem to realize is that arid lands will not heal themselves overnight , despite the best of management or even no animal life at all on said lands .

It took over 100 years to get to where we are now , it will likely take another 100 to get where you want to be ........

You must also consider what that 50% reduction is from. I guess we should ignore the fact of OVERGRAZING that occurred for years. Also, the reduction of AUMs is not at first discernible. Many of the AUMs lost to livestock have been taken up by wildlife, in many areas cattle have been replaced by elk (which I prefer to some extent). Therefore, once you take into account that the 50% reduction was taken from an overly high number to begin with and that many of the livestock AUMs are being taken up by wildlife its not all that much of a reduction. Never mind that many of the areas with drastically reduced AUMs are those that were unsuitable or marginal for livestock use in the first place!

I'll be more than satisfied when it is harder to find an area with poor range condition than it is to find one in excellent condition.

The slack from the reduction in AUM s has been taken up by wildlife ? Isn't that the goal many of you have been after ?

Or is the goal complete elimination of the livestock industry , first in the West ?

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-11-2003 00:42: Message edited by: sdgunslinger ]</font>

It is to show that even though AUMs from cattle are reduced, there are still be AUMs used. SO, to maintain the game herds and help the land recover more AUMs have to be reduced to alleviate the grazing pressure. That can be done with more hunting or less grazing or a combination of both. Overgrazing is more apt to happen with livestock as they are more confined to when and where they can graze. Logistically, then it is cheaper, more simple to remove livestock than wildlife.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> The slack from the reduction in AUM s has been taken up by wildlife ? Isn't that the goal many of you have been after ?

Or is the goal complete elimenation of the livestock industry , first in the West ? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>So, yes I feel the process is getting better. The livestock industry in the West is depenendent on public lands, not so in the east, so it will never be eliminated. Also, I have no problem with livestock grazing as long as it's done in a way to benefit the health of the land. It can be a great and wonderful tool if used properly, but we are still reeling from its misuse from the 1860's to the present in some areas.

SD, " what you and your green friends don't seem to realize is that arid lands will not heal themselves overnight , despite the best of management or even no animal life at all on said lands .

It took over 100 years to get to where we are now , it will likely take another 100 to get where you want to be ........"

sd, what you and all your rancher buddies don't realize is that we should get started as soon as possible. And, actually, we'll see some great improvement in three years. In five we'll have some beautiful wildlife cover and the bird populations will be exploding.

Back