Caribou Gear Tarp

Pucky Sammiches

You're a tough one to please, boss! Your shirt needs to say "Friends don't let friends eat Pucky!"

Big fin, so, how about the pickles, Home made fermented or store bought vinegar?

Pureists don’t eat store bought, and only ferment their own.........

I'll admit these were of the store bought variety. My preference is the neighbor's garden-grown and home-canned variety. @stillkickin here on Hunt Talk has access to some of the finest homemade kraut I've ever tasted. Some of that alongside a fresh burger will often replace the pickle arrangement shown here. But for now, I'm out of both.

Come August, our neighborhood bartering system will be in full swing. Wild game and walleyes in exchange for home grown veggies and a few passes granted to their raspberry groves. For the neighbor's fresh rhubarb and a few bundles of carrots, I even part with some of the manually harvested wild rice I acquire via bartering with friends back home in MN.

My wife makes me add fat to our burger and sausage, but at least it's good pasture fed home grown pork. She's from MN, and when I found out about the wild rice out there always wanted to try to pick some. She used to work at Hell's Kitchen in Minneapolis and they make an awesome porridge with wild rice. I see why the three bears liked porridge. Been wanting to try to make some kraut for a while, maybe this year, got a few cabbage plants going.

Fresh off the Treager......Wyoming Range mule deer, garden fresh lettuce Mrs. Fin allowed me to pluck from her garden, slow grilled at 265F for 45 minutes, a thin layer of Colby Jack for two minutes, topped with some sliced dills on a sesame wheat bun.

No pucky to hide this mix of amazing natural flavors. If this was a Zoom conversation, I would see all of your mouths watering,

Your Honor, the Defense rests his case.

View attachment 143555

Look at this guy pretending cheese isn't just pucky in its solid form.... ;)

I'm imagining the camera man, first week on the job. After eating freeze dried all week in the backcountry hunting with Randy, success!! Dream job!!... get off the mountain to head home and stop in town for fuel and some real food at subway... 5 mins into the order looking around the room terrified like what did I just get myself into.

Probably a lesson here if you were wondering if Randy had some secret for running around the mountains successfully for 20 + years. The man has not taken in an empty calorie since hes remembered what they taste like.

I would be eating with the cameraman and not Randy if I were in that huntin group LOL. I like ketchup, mustard and sometimes red hot added to my burgers. I am one of those to add pork fat to my lean ground game meat IF I am making sausage LOL otherwise I do about 10-15% beef flat if I am making burger patties. I don't do 100% lean ground game meat unless I add something to keep it together or if I plan to use that ground game meat for meatloaf. I also like onions which would have Randy making me ride in the box LOL

Dinner experiment: puckyless brats...........for the win!

I understand the argument as framed by Big Fin about the calories for sure, and the tastebuds are still dancing to the happy polka played by spice, muscle and fat, boiled first and then crisped on the grill. No covering pucky to battle against the brat. (I notice that I didn’t feel the literary need to place pucky into quotations.......another possible indication of a conversion).

Big Fin would have fun in our hunting camp because every burger and every brat gets pucky LOL, with some of us lots of it. Most of the brats get kraut to go with them too. I sometimes even take up rocky mountain oysters, deep fry them and we dip them in horseradish sauce or just use a bit of salt and pepper.

Look at this guy pretending cheese isn't just pucky in its solid form.... ;)

I was going to post something to this effect. What is cheese? It adds fat and salt which both enhance the flavor..... pretty much the same thing that mayo does. Pickles add salt and tang... same thing mayo does.

Team Pucky!

I do like a good quality brat or hot dog laid in a quality roll sans any pucky. You get to taste the bread and meat. I can see Fin's point on fat and calorie reduction. I bet pucky reduction or elimination would greatly reduce many's caloric intake.

You have to watch out for the quality of the pucky. If it’s made with soybean oil or other hydrogenate products you must avoid that, kiss of death. Salad dressing should be oil, vinegar, water and Italian seasoning or the yogurt based pucky dressings but in moderation for those. My favorite dinner salad is sardines, feta, tomatoes, green leaf or romaine lettuce, croutons and Italian dressing. Heavenly. Favorite trail sammich is liverwurst on sourdough with light olive oil mayo and stone ground mustard on opposing sides with onion slice, aged Swiss, green leaf or romaine and maybe tomato but always sprinkled with chiltepin pepper for some kick. 😋

I can see Fin's point on fat and calorie reduction. I bet pucky reduction or elimination would greatly reduce many's caloric intake.
Reducing calories is a great way to be hungry but not a great way to lose weight or keep weight off.

Fat is food. Ditching the roll, potato chips, and cookies (aka simple carbohydrates) that go with our diet will slim you faster than reducing calories.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back