• @marksjeep San Rafael, Dirty Devil Ram

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • @KHunter 2022 ID bull and CO cow moose hunt

Votes: 20 24.4%
  • @jlong17 Wyoming Elk with my Old Man Part 2

Votes: 9 11.0%
  • @charliebravo77 Preference points are useless if you don’t use them

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • @theat Go North, Young Man (or not so young man)

Votes: 28 34.1%
  • @270.Rose Pronghorns, mud, and lemon bars

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • @Gerald Martin The Cliffs of Seduction / Gravy Train through High Cotton

Votes: 35 42.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hunting Wife

Update: there will be two prelim poll threads. Top half of vote getters in each will advance to a final. You get 3 votes in each. Prelims close January 6.

When I was putting this together, I was struck by how hard this is getting. There are some great writers among us, and some incredible stories were posted in 2022. Some make you feel like you are right in the thick of the action on a hunt and a tag you’ll probably never draw. Some make you see an ordinary hunt in a new way. Some take you places you’ve never been. Some give you a new experience in old stomping grounds. But the stories that make you feel something are special.

In the (probable) case I made an egregious omission, please post a link to your write-in favorite so others can enjoy it too.

With no further ado…here is a selection of writings that struck a chord.

@trb submitted a two-part saga of muzzleloader hunting

@TOGIE with a recap of a season adapting to new fatherhood

@Nameless Range with reflections on place and style

@marksjeep on a long-odds tag

@Khunter manages to post live hunts like no one else

@jlong17 tells a story of a hunt with his Dad

@charliebravo77 with a photo essay/story on how to burn points

@theat with a story of one incredible trip

@270.Rose with an oh-so-relatable story

@Gerald Martin proving that lightning does, indeed, strike twice

Last edited:
Dang, there’s always ones that I totally never saw. Got some reading to do.

I dont use hunttalk as much as many as i am hunting so i have missed many of these stories above but one of my favorite is still @Stocker "nebraska slam" last i know it was around 30 pages. It has everything from bad facial hair to mountain goats in corn fields and even a occasional animal get killed.

I dont use hunttalk as much as many as i am hunting so i have missed many of these stories above but one of my favorite is still @Stocker "nebraska slam" last i know it was around 30 pages. It has everything from bad facial hair to mountain goats in corn fields and even an occasional animal get killed.
Here’s the link

I dont use hunttalk as much as many as i am hunting so i have missed many of these stories above but one of my favorite is still @Stocker "nebraska slam" last i know it was around 30 pages. It has everything from bad facial hair to mountain goats in corn fields and even a occasional animal get killed.
I second this, too late to add this one @Hunting Wife?

I gotta bring this one up again for a write in nomination. Lifetime bucket list achievement, great volunteer organization, high centered side-by-side, no show midget strippers and a great moose..

What? My six chapters of African hunting didn't even get an honorable mention? Sigh! Well, at least now my head will get through the front door more easily. It'll still be a tight fit.

I gotta bring this one up again for a write in nomination. Lifetime bucket list achievement, great volunteer organization, high centered side-by-side, no show midget strippers and a great moose..

Yes that one as well, seems we should have a primary vote before the actual election. 😉

Back