The impervious and quaking swamps - A MA Deer Tale

AvidIndoorsman

“my temple is the swamp… When I would recreate myself, I seek the darkest wood, the thickest and most impenetrable and to the citizen, most dismal, swamp. I enter a swamp as a sacred place, a sanctum sanctorum… I seemed to have reached a new world, so wild a place…far away from human society. What’s the need of visiting far-off mountains and bogs, if a half-hour’s walk will carry me into such wildness and novelty.” - Thoreau

Coming from the west I had experienced the dense thickets of gambel oak and thick stands of lodge pole pines and I thought I was a veteran of hunting hell holes... but holy crap did I get my ass kicked by the MA swamps.

I've hunted a number of different habitats in New England, but I've spent more days struggling through the impervious woods than any other. The draw, I think, has been a wild and strenuous hunt juxtaposed with the urban backdrop. Moments of panic at being lost then hearing the sounds of the freeway and remembering there is a dunkies about a mile away.
1670331920516.png

I tried my hand at hunting from a stand, that seems to be folks preferred method around here, I've catalogued 40+ in this small section of woods in various states of decay. From old wood tree houses, screw in steps leading to a wood platform, wood ladders and rusted metal seats, lock on's with steps eaten away by the years. Each stand I see makes me wonder what happened to that guy? Are these in some ways memorials to generations of hunters passed. I salute those who can't sit all day in a tree... I want to roam and have been still (loudly shambling) hunting these swamps for the past 2 years trying to connect with a deer.

I've now spent around 10-15 days out, lots of near misses, lots of learning.

Walk slower... nope slower

Wind still matters

Wait for a while, and see what happens... nope a little more.

It's been humbling, I lost a buck in 2020.

I've spooked countless others without getting a shot.

1670331771180.png
(Screw in steps to wood benches, not sure the age but the seat of moss says it's been here a while)

1670332165156.png

Last edited:
Day 4 of this hunt began the way numerous others had...

1670332759532.png

30 min later, waiting for the minutes to click by till legal shooting light
1670333006592.png

Creeping down the path
1670333082598.png

Finding old stands
1670333153358.png

Choosing another path when the trail is flooded out
1670333208497.png

That had to suck to drag in here...
1670333267073.png

1670333309081.png
1670333349272.png

Last edited:
Climbing up into stands the appeal becomes immediately clear...
1670333596821.png

on the ground you question your choices

1670333718279.png

There are no beautiful vistas, the only respite from the claustrophobia of green briar comes at slight inclines over looking the bog
1670333820032.png

Last edited:
By 10:30am it seems that I must once again call it a day, and find my way back to the car. Another morning enjoying the swap...

Slowly working my way down the trail I'm marveling about how loud the frozen leaves were coming in, and how silent they are now with the frost melted by the morning sun.

15 steps then wait for a 10 count...

15 steps... WTF is that actually a deer

No shit... lol it's broad side? Nah I'm seeing things...right? right... HOLY CHIIIIIT

I slowly pull up. The ranges here are obviously close so I've been loading buck shot, hindsight a risky choice.

"Blaukš!”

The forest rings, birds take flight, the deer bucks and disappears.

I've been to this rodeo...

I pump another round in, catch the spent shell and set it on the path at my feet to mark my spot. I slide my phone out of my pocket and take a picture of my shooting lane/sight picture.

1670334330626.png

F- me it's thick
1670334371789.png

I pull out the range finder... somewhere between 40-60 yards. Buck shot doesn't make a pop like a rifle hit, but I saw him buck... I give it some time.

I walk in as straight a line as possible towards where I believe the deer was standing.

No blood, not a drop... my heart sinks.

I remember that Rinella quote "boots of an optimist".

This is clearly going to suck, I shed some layers, stow anything not meant for a good bush whack and start the grid.

Last I saw the buck he was traveling left to right with regard to me, that would lead him down several trails deep into the swamp.

No blood in a grid around the shot ... "Did I hit him?"

I turn on my tracker and painstaking start searching the swamp, crawling down deer tunnels. (Purple line)

After close to 2 hours nothing...
1670334944292.png

The last spot to check directly in line with my shot, I head that way, mentally I'm thinking "Ok, probably not there he likely is wounded and in the middle of the swamp or maybe you pushed him... get out of the swamp and walk the perimeter and see if there are track in the mud in the trail"

I've basically given up at this point and start walking up a fallen log to navigate a particularly shitty section of green briar

The log...
1670335468306.png

No way....
1670335513211.png

Not a drop of blood on him...

It is a buck, looks like he shed both of his antlers already, pedicles look like they have recently started healing... and yes took me a couple of hours to find a deer that went maybe 70 yards 🤦‍♂️ The vortex of lines above directly in the path of the shot is where I found him.

1670335635151.png

1670335743894.png

Last edited:
At the parking lot there are 4 other hunters, all boomers. Super nice, hanging out shooting the bull with them is markedly different from every western trailhead conversation I've had.

They're giving me spots, telling me where they like to put stands that I might try. "I don't hunt there anymore because I can't drag a deer outta there, but you should try hunting..."

I ask if they have kids that hunt/where do they see many younger hunters?

"How old are you"

"34"

"You won't see anyone one out here younger than you, my kids don't hunt we really don't see anyone out here under 50..."

Small sample size... but definitely anecdotal evidence fitting with the aging out of hunters in the east with no replacements, at least when it comes to public land gun seasons.

This swamp isn't the Alaska Range, hell it's not even Front Range, but it is a sanctum for critters minutes from the city.

I hope places like it persist; aren't drained and paved. I hope that we can argue for their existence as vociferously as we do our big "W" wilderness for I think we need both.

I worry that when the guys from the parking lot leave the woods there won't be anyone else around that gives a shit, and swamps like this will become another cookie cutter neighborhood.

1670336802735.png

Congrats. Not too dissimilar to some of the terrain I hunt down here. I was telling someone yesterday who lost their private land access and was asking about hunting game lands like I do, you've just got to accept you aren't going to see deer. It's too thick. You're just constantly ready and all of a sudden one is there.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back