Caribou Gear Tarp

Pie Town, Life is Good.

Pies over cakes anytime. So y’all please tell me where this pie town is so I can visit someday.
On US 60, the Original coast to coast HWY. West of Socorro,NM & east of Springerville,AZ. Gateway to the Gila. The Pieway as it's called here.

I would eat any of those pies, but what I miss from my Southern CO and Northern NM days is the green chili cheese burger, hold the cheese.
Sarah does a killer burger @ the Pie Shop.
Hand made patties cooked to your pleasure,real bun,slabs of tomato,green chile,cheese and bacon if you wish.
And chile roasting season has started. 2fer time road trips

Pie Town,NM. Catron county. Largest, least populated county in state. Last place settled/homesteaded in lower 48. Maybe 3200 people on 7500 sq.miles.
Land of the Zuni & Apache nations. Mangas Coloradas,Cochise and Geronimo until 1900.

Largest cattle drives in history til the 60's.
Reserve is county seat.
Where the San Fransisco Plaza along the bosque was found by Coronado in the 1500's,trading center of the Apache.
And he never came back. No one would til late 1800's.

I love small town America , I got to have breakfast Wednesday in a little nowhere spot in Chiloquin, Or . These kinda places are the jewels at america. I hope I get to go to pie town , I can’t stand cake . Haven’t for years , I will eat it on rare occasions, like when mom makes one homemade for my birthday, but I’m a pie guy all the way .

Dad & my ex were pie makers.Real ones. For family & friends. Rustic foodies. 5 star chefs raved about her pies...

I told Kathy today that the ex had come with me and had pie when she visited a few years ago. How could I not introduce her after the stories....they were packed,but we still had pie. The smile returned when I said,"She approved.Said my dad would concur."
She smiled a big Kathy smile.
She had heard a story or 2 about dad's & the ex's pies. The food-offs...lol.
She asked me one day after handing me a slice of blueberry,just to test. Tell her what might make it better? Me?
I just smiled and said maybe the only thing that might make this a better slice of pie,maybe, just some huckleberries in it ,to mix it up.
There was that smile ,again.
The Pie Queen, today she handed off the oven mitt to Sarah.

This thread is brutal. I was just talking with another HTer about how it was time to really buckle down and get serious about fitness before season starts. Now I just want some pie. Good stuff, Hank.
The key is to workout in the mornings, get all your suffering out of the way so you can enjoy a nice slab of pie and a beer in the evenings.

Pie Town is definitely on the travel bucket list.
Montana's tourism has a feature called the "Pie Trail" which lists mostly small town cafes and eateries across the state with the best home-baked pies. We have been hitting the trail pretty hard the past few years. So far the best has been Sour Cream Lemon pie at the Crazy Mountain Inn in Martinsdale. The food there is excellent but it's worth the trip just for a piece of pie, whatever the flavor of the day!

Pie Town is definitely on the travel bucket list.
Montana's tourism has a feature called the "Pie Trail" which lists mostly small town cafes and eateries across the state with the best home-baked pies. We have been hitting the trail pretty hard the past few years. So far the best has been Sour Cream Lemon pie at the Crazy Mountain Inn in Martinsdale. The food there is excellent but it's worth the trip just for a piece of pie, whatever the flavor of the day!
They sure use to have some yummy cheese burgers there at the Inn after a long cold day on the mountain.

Sarah,my neighbor in front of her new place,rushing around for a family party coming, and opening weekend at The Pie-O-Neer . Told her the HT crew needed pics for proof. See,I do have a friend.
IMG_0035 (1).JPGIMG_0034 (1).JPGIMG_0033 (1).JPGIMG_0036 (1).JPGIMG_0037 (1).JPGIMG_0038 (1).JPGIMG_0039 (1).JPGIMG_0043 (1).JPGIMG_0041 (1).JPG
Next door for breakie, at The Pie Shop, I had french toast & bacon,coffee...real coffee! Served by my favorite waitress,Starr. ItIMG_0024 (1).JPGIMG_0026 (1).JPG has been a joy to have her serve me for many years,now here.She came to where folks are apppreciated.
IMG_0028 (1).JPGIMG_0029 (1).JPGIMG_0025 (1).JPG
Kids welcome too. It was early and 1st pies coming out. There was only some truck drivers this morning finishing breakfast.
I asked her for a clarification on discounts, Veterans,Active Duty Military.
Locals still something...she gave me 2 fresh frozen chickens from her ranch to take home as I was leaving. Gifts she said.
Damn her.
I'll have to go back & get the numbers,so you can call ahead about what is up with selection daily. And rumor has it they will SHIP PIES soon again!
9-5 Wed.-Sun.....I will verify that too.
IMG_0048.JPG
Life is good.

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back