Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

People have too much money..

DRAFTSTUD

Yesterday as I drove home I passed a high fence put up by some Goober to put his pets in a forty acre enclosure I saw what looked like a nice 6x6 and two cows. He also has a number of exotic deer in there also. Now it was 104 with a humitity factor out of this world, those Elk must have been cooking as they stood there. Down the road there is another high fence area of several hundred acres stocked with just about anything that Goober can buy at auction. I guess some folks never got to go to the Zoo enough!

I'd love to comment on this one but I won't. I think it was my mother who told me "if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all." And, I have nothing nice to say about this subject. Besides, it's all been said before and anybody who feels elk are no different than cattle will not have their mind changed, at least not by me.

…..And people shouldn't possess Goats either... goats should be Frolicking in the hills. Man, people with Goats piss me off.

That might be cruelty to elk, eh, if they were standing in the sun at 104, with or without cover? What does the Louisianna law say about that Draftstud?

Goats? I thought you were a sheep man! Might be good for a BBQ, Cabreto (mspl). Tom I don't know the laws on this subject in Louisiana, I know that Elk originally roamed parts of Louisiana, I just find it weird to have an animal out of it's element, just to have that animal. John

In 1997, I was working at Fort Polk and had to go out to a report of a helicopter crash in an exotic animal farm near the Installation. When our team got there, we found that a blackhawk had made an emergency landing into what I figured was the only herd of elk in Louisiana. It was about a 10-acre enclosure with about a dozen elk and I don't know how many varieties of exotic deer and antelope. Those poor animals were so scared by that helicopter setting down amongst them that anything with horns was stuck in the fence. We like to never got them all cut out. Miraculously, none were severely injured.

I have a very low opinion of any kind of high-fenced ranches. It is pitiful here in Texas how small some of the high-fenced places are. It gets even worse when they start putting elk and other larger animals in them.

My guess is that Moosie's spelling and punctuation is actually very good...he is just so busy posting and causing trouble on about a dozen other sites that he doesn't have the time to proof his posts. :D

Theres an elk farm about 15 miles from us. It's on a back road and I have only pasted it a couple of times. I just pasted it last week helping a friend haul some cars from auction and it wasn't 104, but it was hot. All the calfs were laying in the creek to cool off.

there is alot to Noharleyyet's theory but I do have to Admit I suckat typing and spelling. It's funny how when I was at Bcats house I logged on and Made a post while PMing 3 other peopel at the same time. I only type with 2 fingers. the problem with 2 finger typing is on a wod like Just my left finger 99% od the time Hits the s before my finger lifts off the j and taps the u so my Just is usually jsut.

What is even more Amising .... ;) is I'm not a Janitor for a living with the Chitty edjikation I have. Something to be said about a Positive attidue and Good work ethics ? Like typing on the Puter at 1:36 when I should be working ;)

Back on the main topic, I never said I was For the High fence hunting operations, But I can say that if an elk in Captivity is bread for a elk in Captivity it's jsut that. If it's wild letit be wild. Same goes for Horses. there are Wild horses and there are Domestic horses..... Same goes for the Mexican ;)

Doesn't it get 104 in Billings Montana and Denver Colorado, what about the wild elk around those states. The heat's not bad on the elk. Yep, I'm one of them durn elk farmers. I have lots of trees and ponds and at 100+ the buggers lay out in the sun lots of the time. About all I can figure is to get away from the flies.

BbarC, This is not an Elk or Deer farm, this is a guy who just wants Elk and Deer, what happens down the road when something goes wrong with the animals. He has no pens and a way to restain the animal for the vet to care for them. Maybe that explains my displeasure with the high fenced area. John

Goats? I thought you were a sheep man!

Sheep are a Montana/Wyoming thing...

Goats are lower on the life form thing than sheep and the Idahoers aren't as particular about what they call their girl friends on a lonely Saterday night... :eek: :D:D:D

high fence elk

there is a place south of new orleans that has a high fence and about 400 head of elk. A few nice bulls, and believe me it does get to around 100 degrees here. any way i talked to the owner and his intentions were to market elk meat and stud the bulls. he had 2 that he paid over $75000.00 for. i would rather hunt my own than buy it commercialy. :) :) :) :) :)

We've raised elk for 20 years and we butcher and process up to 20 animals a year. We sell backstap steaks, burger patties, german style sausage, dried smoked sausage, and jerky.About 70 percent of our customers have never had elk before and would not have if we didn't furnish it. They don't have the luxury of being able to hunt like we do. The other 30 percent are hunters that have run out of last years or the year before's meat and are "gonna die" if they don't get a taste of some elk meat soon. I hunt elk and have for MANY years and there's nothing else like it. I like elk meat and have eatten a "ton" of wild killed and farmed elk too. There is little comparison between farmed and wild killed elk. It is not your fault or mine but the seasons are set in the worst possible time for taking an elk for meat. They are usually set during or right after rut and body conditioning in the bulls is far from prime.The animal is often wounded and stressed. I've done this too, the meat is dragged or carried down the mountain or packed on a sweaty horse, hung in tree a day or two and then hauled home where it may hang and dry another day or two. Wonder where "wild taste" comes from???????Treat a beef this way and it'd have wild taste too. When our animals are at their prime [certainly not during rut] they are selected for processing.Our animals hauled to an inspected processor with as little stress as possible. They are handled and processed as you would prime beef. Don't get me wrong , I AM CERTAINLY NOT AGAINST hunting elk as I love to do so too.
I am merely making the point that there is certainly a place for commercially produced and processed elk meat.

I've eaten quite a bit of wild elk and not once have I ever experienced the so called "wild taste" or "gamey taste." And, most of the elk meat I've eaten has come from elk killed during the rut. I'm not saying elk meat can't be of poor quality if not properly cared for, just that in most cases there is no excuse for it.

I'll second what WH said.

I've eaten cow elk that were shot in November that you would not be able to tell the difference from a few bull elk killed during the peak of the rut. I've never tasted the shit/gamey taste on any wild animal I've shot or that my brother has shot. We've killed deer and elk during the rut and there definitely is not any bad taste with the meat from those animals.

I only know what the "gamey" taste is only because of trying some meat that someone else shot and they did not skin the animal until after a few days after it was killed (after driving from Montana to Washington). That meat would leave a film on the inside of your mouth. The person that shot those animals that taste "gamey" won't eat venison because he doesn't like the gamey taste. He won't eat it because he doesn't take proper care of it and therefore he and anyone who tries the meat that he gives away thinks that all wild game takes like shit.

The first cow I shot in Jackson Hole was absolutly awful, but I had an elk in the Freezer already, so gave the tough old bird away, her eye teeth were worn right to the gums and she had been chased for miles and shot at all the way, plus I got her because some one else had already wounded the poor creature, so I put it out of it's missery...

I saved one piece of the backstrap about four inches long and gave the rest of the old girl to others who don't know better.

That was the toughest backstrap I have ever eaten off of any animal, and it was gamey to boot, but who would have figured otherwise from the shape she was in when I got her... :)

I just don't shoot those "pressured" elk any more, not worth the time I figure, leave them to those who like that kind of stuff.. :)

Back