MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

People have too much money..

Washington Hunter said:
But Curly, I don't think there's any good bass fishing in Montana. :D

That's why I said I'd keep it as an option. And besides, Fort Peck Res sounds really appealing. The walleye fishing is supposed to be good and I believe there are pike there too; I would be surprised if there aren't smallmouth bass there also. I could also get into some good fly fishing for trout too. I haven't done any good fly fishing since college when I fished Southern Oregon.

Oregon is on the top of my list for a state to retire in but having to wait a few years to draw a deer permit kind of sucks but who knows how the rules will be in 20 years.

(Hows that for getting off topic?)

I second what Moosie says.

If you haven't ever tasted even slightly "wild or Gamey", then you probably haven't eaten much elk at all. And don't try to tell me that it is because of all of the fabulous things that you do to take care of the animal after killing it.

I'm not saying even wild tasting elk is bad meat, but you can definately tell the difference between it and domestic meat products.

In short, I'm not buying it and you shouldn't be trying to sell such an obvious fabrication.

Have a nice day.

Canoe, well you and Moosie could be right. Maybe eventually I will get to taste some bad elk meat. But my point is I've eaten meat from 4 bulls that I can think of that were killed in the middle of the rut, so by what some have said, that meat should have been some of the worst tasting meat I ever had...but it wasn't! Not at all, in fact there was never even the slightest bit of so called "gamey" taste. So I don't know where you guys are killing these terrible tasting elk, but it sure isn't anywhere I hunt. I suppose it could also be that my sense of taste is different than others. After all, I very seldom eat beef. I have never bought meat in a store my entire life. I always seem to have a freezer full of deer and/or elk.

Conoe, I wasn't saying that I couldn't tell the difference between elk meat and beef. I'm just saying that the gamey/shit taste was not in any of the elk I've eaten and the elk that were in the rut tasted as good as cows shot in November.

You and Moosie maybe are right........I've only eaten about 7 different elk which isn't very many. I'm just saying that the only gamey tasting meat was from animals that the hide was left on for days.

I think the problem here is the terms being used:

to me, gamey = shit
wild = good taste

And by the way, don't have a nice day. And don't call me a liar.:MAD

Hey WH, I was typing as you posted. At least we agree since you said almost the same thing.

In short, I'm not buying it and you shouldn't be trying to sell such an obvious fabrication.

In short that quote pisses me off. Hey, if anyone wants to give me any elk they kill during the rut, I'll take it.

WH,I love to hunt elk but don't care for the meat. Maybe Bbarc's elk might be good, I'm going to have to give it a try sometime. I love my meat well marbled and elk is too lean for my taste.

Good one Pa mt man.

Hey, if you want to fly out here to WA and do some elk hunting, I'll be willing to take the elk meat from you. You can buy your elk tag right over the counter.

I already have a cow tag for Wyoming and I'm going to Colorado next year for deer and elk. But I might take you up on that some day.

pa mt man, so what do you do with your elk meat? just curious...

And do you dislike deer also?

Now that I think about it, if I didn't care for elk meat, I would still hunt them, but would probably grind up all the meat and make it into hamburger. Sure could make a lot of spaghetti, chilli, meat loaf, and various other casserole dishes with it. But it would sure seem like a waste of those awesome elk steaks.

WH,with me it starts in the field. In Colorado the rib meat stays in the field. We debone the rest (leaving evidence of sex intact). Yes we grind all the meat except the back straps. I still don't use it in burgers or chili. We make bolonga and hot sticks out of it. That's me and my brother.
If I get a cow in Wyoming this year the guys I'm going with can have most of it. They claim they love it. Last year I didn't get an elk, but help pack out 4 with horses and the guy I helped brought out all the meat. He isn't going with us this year and Wyoming says the ribs and neck are not edible so if it's up to me I'll leave those parts.
Pa deer on the other hand are great. They are corn fed and I have to cut over an inch of fat off them. The steaks melt in your mouth. I guess I'm more of a meat hunter here in pa.

I didn't buy a pa hunting lic this year cause it stopped being fun last year. First time in 40 years so I might have to get use to elk. :)

wow, and i thought this conversation was about critters in a fence. my bad

as far as meat goes, i will take elk over deer anyday. i have ever only had one bad deer that was so bad i had to throw it away, and have only killed 2 elk and they seemed great to me. but, great to one person might suck to another.

Buzz, I know it's dumb to you. Like I said I'm having fun. I enjoy everything else about it. Even helping pack out other people's elk. This year we have three poeple who haven't got an elk coming including my 15 year old niece. Boy I hope they all score.

There's a lot of pople who don't eat everything they shoot. I don't hunt these but coyotes,racoons and groundhogs come to mind.

pa mt man...

If you cant see the difference between ground hogs and elk...you're in big trouble.

Hope you have "fun"...I've just never found killing something for "fun" all that fun.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back