People Fleeing cities? Not according to Zillow

I've always thought that, when I'm ready to move, I'm willing to spend a little extra to buy a place that doesn't need any work. But based on how these things are selling I'm moving more and more to something like, buy the land/plot you want and fix up whatever house happens to be there.

We just bought a property with a 20 year old house that hasn't been updated ever. Got it for substantially less than asking and we'll put shy of $40K into it to update which includes new counters, paint & hardwood flooring as well as remodeling the main bath.

Just sold our house in Helena for $13.5 over asking and it's move in ready.

I really don't mind doing some work/having some work done. It just adds value to the house. I've never been burned upgrading a house.

Currently sitting a town that the lowest priced house that doesn't need $100k worth of work is $40K over my budget. Last week someone bought a house that I personally saw was structurally unsound for asking sight unseen.

In Utah, we have a 7% increase in median price from last year. I keep saying it’s unsustainable but it just keeps going. 🤷‍♂️

This is a story that is playing out in my neighborhood and I’m sure many others. Homes that would’ve been around $200,000 ten years ago are now selling for close to half a million.

My knee-jerk reaction is despair. I suppose a lot can happen that is unexpected, but I don’t know how the hell my kids will stick around and have things similar to what I have had unless they are in the top 95th percentile for income.

What’s happening and will continue to happen here makes perfect sense, but There are things I love about Montana that I don’t know can sustain over the long haul, and I hope I never feel like it has all gone to hell for keeps. It’s hard to tell whether I am overestimating the amount of change that will occur over the next decade due to the frenetic pace of everything right now.

This is a story that is playing out in my neighborhood and I’m sure many others. Homes that would’ve been around $200,000 ten years ago are now selling for close to half a million.

My knee-jerk reaction is despair. I suppose a lot can happen that is unexpected, but I don’t know how the hell my kids will stick around and have things similar to what I have had unless they are in the top 95th percentile for income.

What’s happening and will continue to happen here makes perfect sense, but There are things I love about Montana that I don’t know can sustain over the long haul, and I hope I never feel like it has all gone to hell for keeps. It’s hard to tell whether I am overestimating the amount of change that will occur over the next decade due to the frenetic pace of everything right now.
This is a concern of mine also. At the pace we are going a decent house is going to run a million bucks. Surely prices can't just go up indefinitely. I guess if we keep printing money anything is possible.

During our re-fi, appraised value is $150k more than our purchase from merely 5 years earlier.

During our re-fi, appraised value is $150k more than our purchase from merely 5 years earlier.
we're at 250k in 3 years.... :oops:

I have seen a few listed at prices that are in the "crazy" territory. I don't blame them. Someone wants to make me an offer I can't refuse and I will move to downtown Chicago or NYC. I do admit, I tend to be more adaptable to whatever environment I am thrown in. Every place has advantages and disadvantages.

I've wondered about the new trend of work from home and cost of living...

Companies in Silicone Valley pay employees a value comparative to COLA for the area employees reside.

If you don't need to pay employees to live in the Silly Valley , is it possible, wages may begin to reflect the new norm?

Sure, right now the pay is still, "competitive" though as that pool to select employees widens...

Well snap... articles are already whirling on the topic.

I get it’s a good time to sell in these markets, but where do you go that’s got a comparable way of life that’s not the same price or more? Do you just sell, bide your time, and figure it’ll drop or equilibrate eventually?

I get it’s a good time to sell in these markets, but where do you go that’s got a comparable way of life that’s not the same price or more? Do you just sell, bide your time, and figure it’ll drop or equilibrate eventually?
I think you have to have another option already, like a rental or some land you could build on (or get a camper and live on it Raising Arizona style)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back