PEAX Equipment

Past Kodiak Deer Hunters

Ovis

Who did you do your boat based hunt with, how many days, abundance of deer seen, accommodations, would you recommend and/or do this hunt again with the same service? If so, post their contact info. Thanks!

www.ninilchik.com

We killed at least one buck everytime we made it to the top of a ridge. Deer were very high while we were there (1500 to 2600 feet up) PLenty of crab. All shot the seaducks we wanted , caught a few halibut without really targeting them and saw brown bears. Captain and mate we very friendly. Boat was clean and well maintained except for the fresh halibut and crab food was just ok. But I didn;t go there to eat anything but seafood ( and deer meat) anyway.

Would definitely recommend them and hope to go back some day.

What part of Kodiak did you hunt? Thanks for the info!

Who did you do your boat based hunt with, how many days, abundance of deer seen, accommodations, would you recommend and/or do this hunt again with the same service? If so, post their contact info. Thanks!
We went with Homer Ocean Charters. The ship was a new one and had awesome accomidations. We saw a ton of deer and bears out of Olga Bay where we hunted. At first I didn't think the hunt was to bad until after the trip was over. The captain was a prick and really got pissed when we were stuck on the boat for an extra two days. He never would take us to a different spot because he said the weather was to bad, which it wasn't. I think we hunted the same ridge for 3 days straight. We never got to eat crab because he said the pot was stuck to the bottom. He also never would go anywhere where we could catch a halibut. We stayed in the same shallow bay all trip. I wouldn't recommand them to many people and when I do it again it will be with a different outfit.

I will say though that the group of guys we went with had an awesome trip the prior year with them. The only difference was they were on the boat with a different captain. They said that captain worked his tail off for them. so it more then likely went south due to our lazy captain.

LArsen BAy

On the flight from Kodiak to anchorage I sat next to some guys that went with Homer Ocean Charters. Had the same issues As IdahoBugler. No Crab didnt move around alot.
I thought it was funny because I remember IB posting those things after their trip.

I think Buzz hunted with Ninilchik also the year before I went.

Thanks for the info guys. I was considering Ninilchik and have also been in contact with Alaska Coastal Marine.

IB, you didn't happen to have a guy named Dan as your captain, did you?

Thanks for the info guys. I was considering Ninilchik and have also been in contact with Alaska Coastal Marine.

IB, you didn't happen to have a guy named Dan as your captain, did you?
Nope his name was Rick something or other.

I believe I PM'ed Ovis (upon request) details about my experience shortly after the trip. Feel free to post your opinions here if you would like.:p

I'll just say that a few thing went wrong, a few thing went right and that I would do it again if I had the opportunity, but may not go on the same boat...

Ovis,
I went with ACM last November, awesome trip and I'm trying to figure a way to go back soon. Probably will have to book a couple years out again to get a week in early November.
Tim runs a real good operation and the crew was great.

--Bill

Ovis,

I went the same outfit that hntnhrd went with...ninilchik.

I would go again in a heartbeat with them.

I do think all the boat hunts are dependent on the captain and how you treat them. We were the last hunt of the season for the boat. There were plenty of deer, we saw anywhere from 50-150+ per day. Lots of bucks, but you had to sort through quite a few to find really good ones.

The deer were definately the most important part of the hunt, but I really wanted to bag a few sea ducks as well. I was pretty lucky and managed to bag a pair of oldsquaws, a drake harelquin, and a drake bufflehead in just a few hours of duck hunting.

We caught a boat load of fish one day as well. We took a day off in the middle of the trip and shot ducks in the morning and fished the second half of the day. We caught a limit of halibut for the boat...between 35-90 pounds, yellow-eyes, cod, flounder and sharks. The fishing was stellar.

We also set out crab pots and filled a a 55 gallon barrel with tanner and dungenous crabs.

I will say that the captain and the deckhand both went out of their way to see that we got opportunities at everything we were after.

Very good operation IMO.

Looks like I am all set on the deer hunt. Thanks to all for spending the time to reply. Miller, I searched through my PMs to refresh my memory about our conversation and couldn't find those particular messages. Can you tell me who you went with again?

My partner booked us with a guy out of Old Harbor. He hunted with him several times about 8 years ago. Kinda lost touch with him and finally was able to hunt him down again. $250 a day, minimum 3 people, max 5. We will be hunting an area that gets very little pressure...will cost us a few extra dollars for a trespass fee, but will be well worth it.

Now it is a matter of tying our goat hunt in with our deer hunt. Just a matter of getting relocated by Andrews/Seahawk and hoping the weather will cooperate come Sept/Oct.

The guy we are hunting with relies solely on word of mouth. Lots of talk about Booner bucks. Will pass the good gouge when the trip is over to those that are interested.

Thanks again for the replies. My intent was to go with either Ninilchik or ACM if unable to get in touch with this other guy.

if it is jeff, i've heard some good things about him as well. lots of native land he uses so the hunting pressure from other transporters should be alot less.

a guy i can recomend is a guy named dave that runs the "mythos" I can look in to the name of his outfit but i fished along side him when i commercial fished out of kodiak, great guy and his work ethic is amazing. i believe he hunts more the north end of the island but think he makes runs south depending on the deer. not positive cause i have never been on a trip with him but i know he always had poles on board so fishing shouldn't be a problem.

ex-kodiak kid

Thanks usneskimo, but I am squared away. Where abouts in VA are you?

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back