Painting my bathroom ceiling šŸ”Ø

Not sure a textured ceiling would be my choice in a bathroom, especially one that has condensation issues. Too hard to clean.

Flat texture vs trying to get that paint smoothed out is a no brainer. A good skip trowel ends up with less than 1/8ā€ texture and no sharp edges. A minimum of two or three coats of good latex paint will take care of any condensation issues.

That looks like an old vent and light combo. If it is you can buy a replacement light/fan combo and replace the whole thing or you could just buy a universal motor replacement for the old one. Then Iā€™d buy some shiplap pine and cover up that ceiling. I hate painting so any chance I get to cover up something that needs paint I go for it.

That looks like an old vent and light combo. If it is you can buy a replacement light/fan combo and replace the whole thing or you could just buy a universal motor replacement for the old one. Then Iā€™d buy some shiplap pine and cover up that ceiling. I hate painting so any chance I get to cover up something that needs paint I go for it
This is very tempting

Welp, thatā€™s about a cluster #*^@#*.
Shouldā€™ve just left it alone.
The 50% of that chit that hadnā€™t already peeled off is really stuck on there.
Might be time to lower the ceiling.
View attachment 266239
Donā€™t lower the ceiling. Scrape off all the loose stuff and then use drywall mud to skim coat it and add a light texture. Itā€™s not hard. Then prime over that.

Edit. I see Gerald beat me to this. My wife skip troweled a big room and it turned out great.

Donā€™t worry about the stuff thatā€™s stuck. Peel the loose portions and cover with some all purpose drywall compound. If you use a random skip trowel smear, youā€™ll get a textured ceiling and not even have to sand. Then prime and paint.
I'd strip it all. There's a reason it's coming off. mtmuley

If youā€™re going to be in that house for a while, Iā€™d rip out the ceiling drywall and replace it with green board. Replace the fan unit while youā€™re at it.

I wouldnā€™t mess with the window, other than making sure itā€™s sealed well.

If youā€™re going to be in that house for a while, Iā€™d rip out the ceiling drywall and replace it with green board. Replace the fan unit while youā€™re at it.

Edit- Beat me to it.

Also what kind of exterior siding do you have that window needs to go if your gonna do it.

Last edited:

I mentioned starting fresh. I've seen enough of situations like that to know patching is usually an exercise in futility. At the very least strip, and if the drywall is OK retape and skim coat-paint. mtmuley

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DDavis
Back