MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Painting my bathroom ceiling 🔨

You need to duct and insulate the fan in the attic. Besides ruining your bathroom ceiling, you may be seriously compromising roof structure. Go up in the attic now and you will almost certainly see everything covered with frost. Ask me how I know! My bathroom ceiling also has the same problem. When the contractor replaced the shingles after hail damage, they put in a new roof vent but used flex hose crap that either came loose or was never even attached. A couple years ago when I finished the taxidermy trophy room I went up in attic to retreive a big elk cap mount. Looked like a snow storm blew through there! Those rafters being wet all the time will soon start to sag and rot. I ducted it properly with aluminum pipe AND insulated the duct. For now I would suggest Jerry rigging some ducting to a gable vent (AND INSULATE IT). Come summer you can get someone to duct it properly.

Pull off the crown molding. Makes painting a lot quicker. You don't have to be so fussy when painting the corners. Pull the old finishing nails through the BACK side of crown molding. Don't try to push them back out through front side. That will tear up the molding. Pulling them through back with vicegrips will tear the wood too but no one sees the back side. Then nail it back up with new nails when you finish painting. Don't use the old nail holes.

After you peel the blisters away, you can use drywall compound to even the potholes out. Sand smoothe and don't forget to paint over with drywall primer. Otherwise the patch will just suck up the finishing paint. Been there.

Aside from all the previous advice, I'd add to use a semi gloss ceiling paint.

Ventilation is key and the exhaust should be directed to the outside, not to the attic

Make sure existing drywall wasn't damaged by moisture. Strip everything. If those patches are the paper backing on the drywall, things were done incorrectly from the get go. Primer/sealer then paint. I'd pull the trim too. mtmuley
Maybe someone has a better suggestion which I'm all ears, but but I've found Kilz to be the best primer in this or any situation really, worth the $.

Last edited:
The light is a fan.
I think part of my issue is having no real attic vents, but that would be a hell of a commitment.
For around $150 you can get a pretty nice fan/light. We had the same/ fan light fixture as your pic when we bought this house. Worthless as tits on a boar. Changed them out with a way higher cfm.

Last edited:
Maybe someone has a better suggestion which I'm all ears, but but I've found Kilz to be the best primer in this or any situation really, worth the $.
Agree, although it didn’t work in my garage. Moisture is a bitch.
That picture is worth a thousand words when people talk about renting vs buying. It’s a dozen of those that makes renting worth it.

The light is a fan.
I think part of my issue is having no real attic vents, but that would be a hell of a commitment.
Those light/fan combos are IMO useless. The “fan” barely moves any CFMs. Get yourself a good fan and vent it out and you will be much happier with the results.

Agree, although it didn’t work in my garage. Moisture is a bitch.
That picture is worth a thousand words when people talk about renting vs buying. It’s a dozen of those that makes renting worth it.
Idk that's a pretty easy fix still...ymmv what didn't work in your garage you got mold?

Those light/fan combos are IMO useless. The “fan” barely moves any CFMs. Get yourself a good fan and vent it out and you will be much happier with the results.
You gotta shop but we bought some I'm not sure of the brand but highest cfms available of any regular fan with the light..wasn't easy to find but there out there.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back