Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Outdoors w/ the Kids - Pic Heavy

Buschy

Three parts to this post.

First, The Northern Badlands Chapter of the Mule Deer Foundation put on its 3rd Annual M.U.L.E.Y. Day Camp. I helped out as the speaker again this year and we talked about Mule Deer 101, the basics of locating and hunting mulies. To my surprise my eight-year old daughter, Julia, really wanted to help with the presentation. She covered about a quarter to the presentation and did a great job. I was both impressed and proud of how she stood up in front of 80+ people and spoke with confidence.

IMG_0164.jpg

My assistant, Julia
IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg
IMG_0174.jpg
IMG_0172.jpg

Elk, goats and deer be warned, the next few years are going to be tough with Jakey behind the rifle!!
IMG_0178.jpg

Prizes for everyone!
IMG_0169.jpg

What will I get???
IMG_0179.jpg

Second, was a fishing trip with Jakey and Julia to a lake south of Bismarck last weekend. Upper Deck’s father, Jim, has been going there 2-3 times a week and crushing walleyes. If it were any easier catching fish here right now, they would literally jump in the livewell themselves. Walleyes, monster perch and some occasional pike kept the kids very busy. They could not keep crankbaits in the water for more than a couple of minutes without having a fish on. I could hardly keep up with driving the boat, netting/unhooking fish and making sure the kids were fully resupplied with snacks and drinks during the battle!! We fished on Saturday and did great, then spent the rest of the day swimming in the pool at Jim and Upper Deck’s ranch. We stayed overnight at the ranch and went fishing with Jim on Sunday. We caught a four-person limit of 20 walleyes in an hour and five minutes!! :eek: It was just crazy.

IMG_0187.jpg
IMG_0188.jpg
IMG_0185.jpg
IMG_0189.jpg
IMG_0190.jpg

Freakin' Big Perch!!!
IMG_0198.jpg

TIRED KIDS!!
IMG_0182.jpg
IMG_0183.jpg

Finally, I went fishing on the same lake yesterday and took the young man who lives next door and the son of a consultant who is here from New York City, “Sennie”. Sennie lives in the Bronx and doesn’t get much exposure to the outdoors or fishing. He had a hard time getting the concept of setting the hook when fish bite. Regardless, he caught lots of fish and had a great day. He also had some difficulty netting fish and my net is lying on the bottom of the lake somewhere!! A small price to pay for the fun we had though and I needed a new net anyway.

IMG_0195.jpg

The summer is going way too fast. The positive to that is we leave for Alaska in six weeks to for caribou (and now moose). The moose tag I drew months ago finally showed up in the mail yesterday. I was beginning to wonder if I somehow PO'd the AKG+F :rolleyes:

I got the best prize - a couple of kids who are looking forward to hunting season!!!

....always enjoy your kid activity posts Buschy. Just a guess but I'll bet your little girl is a character.

Buschy,
What kind of netting is that in the picture of the archery targets?
Does it work?
To what level or poundage of bow?
Thanks
S

Dang Buschy I think your a shoe in for father of the year!

Nope, I do too. Every day....

All this talk about work reminds me my unemployment check gets deposited tomorrow. Looks like I'm going fishing for a week :D

Great stuff Buschy! Memories for a lifetime. And those PERCH! Sheesh - Those are pigs! Great times! Your daughter speaking in front of 80+... I would be darn proud as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Great post Buschy and sorry that we missed the MULEY event this year but were vacationing in the Black Hills at the time.

Obviously you have instilled your love of the outdoors in those kids and will have partners for life.

Good on you dad!

yellowdog,

The archery equipment was provided by the ND Game and Fish Dept. It's part of their youth archery program. I will shoot them an e-mail and try to find out what the material is. It does work well for stopping arrows. I work for the school system here in Bismarck and we have a wall of that material we can string along the back of our gyms when archery is taught in the schools. I have shot my bow in the gym during the winter months and it has stopped arrows from my bow as well.

Back