Other hobbies?

The fermentation piqued my interest, I've worked with fermenters in a research lab and always wanted to extend that to the home and try to make neat stuff. I looked up that brand and it looks like an affordable way to get started.

Here's a good read for you. "The Fantastic Laboratory of Dr. Weigl" by Arthur Allen. It's about two Jewish scientists kept at Nazi concentration camps to develop a cure for typhus and how they sabotaged the war effort. Fascinating story.
Looks like a good read! I currently have Winston Churchill's six-book memoirs on WWII that I'm working through.

Traveling
Bird watching
Morels
Conservation - currently rehabbing 10 acres of white oak savannah

The fermentation piqued my interest, I've worked with fermenters in a research lab and always wanted to extend that to the home and try to make neat stuff. I looked up that brand and it looks like an affordable way to get started.

Looks like a good read! I currently have Winston Churchill's six-book memoirs on WWII that I'm working through.
Just cleaned out the "library" in the throne room where I rediscovered the book on Weigle's lab ... and also Churchill's "Closing the Ring". He sure thought a lot of himself. What most impressed me was how he and Roosevelt managed to keep appraised of all that was going on in the world during WWII. Stalin was an already established demonic moron from his pre-war destruction of his own country. Awful trying to deal with that thug but a critical neccessity. The sheer volume of daily death and destruction everywhere on earth except the Americas is difficult to appreciate today. You get a real feeling for it reading Churchill's detailed memoirs which are essentially his daily diary.

Currant hobby is trying to get trees & such to survive in SW NM. Elk & rodents. One pest & one the best.

Did a material list/count in my head last night. I'll see how close I got when I dig out my drawings. Mind exercise.

The only complaint I have with SS stuff is except for the thermowells and tri-clamps are some fittings are non-welded fittings resulting in a more intensive cleaning regimen. I plan on breaking everything down at some point and having my welder buddy sanitary weld all the bulkheads. Maybe they've started welding or everything is tri-clamp now since I got this stuff 5 or so years ago but I haven't looked. I'd check out Spike's equipment too.

I've got their brite tank as well, and its probably the best money I've spent on a single piece of gear. Makes carbing and clarifying, and the little bit of bottling I do with a beer gun super simple. I've messed around a bit with it as a firkin and cask ales. Being able to pressure transfer through all the equipment instead of syphoning cut down on so many headaches.

I really like the heat jackets and the internal chiller coils, and have them for the conical, brite and bucket. Instead of stuffing them into a fermentation chamber they get to sit in full display in the bar with a glycol chiller tucked away underneath even while cold crashing.

Reactions: Zak
I scrolled quickly through the four pages and saw some really cool pictures. I have a number of hobbies but at this point in my life I must consider hunting, fishing, and the outdoors a lifestyle as opposed to a hobby.
Reminds me of a defunct sporting goods store in my hometown, Palestine, TX.
circa 1978/1985-ish(?)
"Ducks 'n Bucks"
Started out on Palestine Ave/North Jackson St.
Moved to and died out on West Oak St.

Got back into ceramics after a 25 year hiatus (Funny what not being able to drink and going through the pandemic lockdown does to a feller's free time)

New House, new studio. I took 1/2 of the garage over for the studio. The Mrs thinks she's going to be able to park in the other half, so I'm figuring out how to get to her to abandon that.

Before the mud:
1617048408263.png

Big old bowl for putting your apples & such in (about 10 pounds of clay & 14 inches across):

1617048531279.png

Cocktail cup:

1617048594735.png

Funky little chawan;

1617048674493.png

Used to SCUBA dive all over the world. Now days traveling the globe with grandchildren
How is COVID-19 affecting your travel?
Are you finding some countries difficult to get into and out of?
A fellow blogger on another site has been hung in Europe since about April of last year.
He got in pre-COVID. Post-COVID and flight restrictions, he can't get back home.

Otto Matic, Covid put a stop to it last year. I was in solitary confinement most of the year and still caught the darn sickness. This summer we are back on course. I am 82 and have not missed anything I can think of, have been a lucky man. Kindest Regards

Otto Matic, Covid put a stop to it last year. I was in solitary confinement most of the year and still caught the darn sickness. This summer we are back on course. I am 82 and have not missed anything I can think of, have been a lucky man. Kindest Regards
Glad to hear you whipped that "creeping crud"! LOL!
Nasty stuff!
I have, I think, dodged that bullet. At 70, I didn't isolate or quarantine but never, fortunately, fell ill or had any symptoms.

Kudos on beating the "bug" and best wishes and good luck on your travels this summer.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back