PEAX Equipment

Other hobbies?

MarvB

So obviously most of us here have a passions for hunting, fishing, or both...what other hobbies do you have more on your collective plates?

Until a few years ago mine was coaching; coached softball and volleyball from youth ages up through college aged (4 to 18/19 year olds) for nearly two decades.

Other than that it’s culinary (do most of the cooking, a little brewing and liquor works) and some photography.

You?

mine has kind of varied over the years. Did some coaching, grew up on a farm and continued to farm after I moved away up until about 5 years ago, collect some knives, enjoy yard work and gardening, enjoy grilling/smoking, traveling with the boys and watching them play ball.

Little farming, used to do about 80 to 100 acres of hay in small bales. But gave it up due to time constraints. Still like to help my cousins out when I can. Probably start getting some pigs and steers for the kids to feed out. Having some animals to take care of teaches a lot of life lessons for em imo.

Also love butchering and processing all of our wild game and some domestic critters as well. Along with canning vegetables we can about 200 quarts of tomato sauce every year with my dad's side.

Last edited:
Hobbies? Way to many cut down on a few. Collect rocks. No. Don't know what half of them are just go for color shape size and sometime throwing(the perfect fit)
Tool leather (don't do as much as I use to do). Need to get the guitar and banjo back out and start all over with the practice.
Have done oil painting which I did enjoy(very limited)
Now into cutting wood and making silly animals, butterflies and so forth.
I would say cutting fire wood but that is a must up here where we now live.
Am I good? Maybe? Halfway fair?
Into making hose holders in a unique way now.

I am an bird watcher or actually an animal watcher. I keep an annual list of every species of Bird, Mammal, Reptile, Amphibian, and fish that I identify each year. I have another category that I lump in other critters I deem interesting. I hunt mushrooms and edible wild plants. I like gardening. I like cooking and I try to do photography but the pictures I see on this forum make me think I'm not very good at it.

So obviously most of us here have a passions for hunting, fishing, or both...what other hobbies do you have more on your collective plates?

Until a few years ago mine was coaching; coached softball and volleyball from youth ages up through college aged (4 to 18/19 year olds) for nearly two decades.

Other than that it’s culinary (do most of the cooking, a little brewing and liquor works) and some photography.

You?
A little bit of everything. Sometimes I make cheese, sometimes I brew beer, sometimes I go hiking. A lot of the times I'm watching my boys play hockey. Just depends...

Carpentry, gardening and a bit of a home vintner.
A big chunk of my gardening is blackberries and grapes.
The blackberries are easy except for the thorns.
The grapes? Well, they're an adventure all their own.
Concord and Muscadine. They make a gorgeous, dark sweet wine.

Share a lot of commonalities here👍🏻
Many of mine have def shifted with age, time, and priorities. Grew up on small ranches/farms with all the animals- now have none. Went through a dirt bike/motocross stage, now it’s a quad and SxS. Used to waterski and tube ride, now we don’t even own a boat. Used to do more woodworking, now its helping in construction projects. I seem to have migrated to things that allow multiplicity, go hike, observe wildlife and scenery, take pics... 3for1 lol.

The usual hunting fishing sidelines: reloading, fly tying, gun tinkering, etc. A whole bunch of hobbies now gone that I miss: horses, piano repair, restoring antiques, coaching, research & writing. The few I have maintained: woodworking and taxidermy.

Edit: I forgot trap/skeet/clays and canoeing. I have a 17' kevlar Souris River that's a dream to paddle.
20210327_160153.jpgCitori case 2.JPGCitori case 1.JPGAmmo Box Montage.jpg20200315_200821.jpg20201010_113425.jpg

Last edited:
This ties into my hunting hobby but I think the act of researching for hunts and looking at maps has become a hobby in and of itself for me. I spend countless hours on gohunt and onx researching different possible hunts. I also do a lot of backpacking and reloading.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back