Opening morning AZ Coues jack stomping

redline410

Without going into to too much crazy detail- My dad, Uncle and I were lucky enough to all draw coues tags together this year. Scouted hard for months and decided that although it would cause us great amounts of pain, there were some good bucks in this particular canyon and it would be worth the climb in. Opening morning at 4:30am we dove off into the abyss in search of two bucks we had spied 2 weeks prior. Just as the sun was lighting the eastern sky we arrive at our destination, split up and went to glassing- I got settled in, spun the 15's to the first edge of the grid and not 5 minutes in I caught a flicker in the mesquite. turned out to be an ear and the antlers quickly materialized. a quick range, 471- just a touch out of my comfort zone so I went to closing the gap. I rounded the corner and saw my old man glassing the same hill side- walked up to him and asked "are you going to shoot that thing or is he not big enough for you?" he looked at me like I had 3 heads. "Where?" he asked. I trained his binoculars on the spot and let him stare at it for a few minutes before the buck finally flinched again. Wanting him to take a good buck was my main mission on this hunt so we found him a good solid rest and were planning on waiting for the buck to stand, right up until the rest of the bucks we didn't see started coming out of the bottom to feed. Another good buck strolled onto the playing field and pops decided that one was good enough and closer to boot. I told him that if he gave me a second to set up, I'd scope the bedded buck and hopefully his shot would get him up- worked like a charm. His buck folds and the bedded buck stands up, only he was still in the danged ol' tree. The perch dad had was at a better angle so I low ran back to where he was, kicked him off the rock, squared up and center punched the other. Hmm, two down within 50 yards of each other. turns out there was 6 bucks in that little mess and the remaining four were in no hurry to go anywhere. Dad told me to run back and see if Mike wanted any deer or if he was looking for something giant. I ran the 200yards back around the mountain- rousted up my uncle and told him that if he would shoot any buck there was a good forky standing around just waiting to get whacked. Back to the shooting rock again and the bigger of the 2x was still eating along like he had good sense. 316yrds, hold, breathe, squeeze, down....over......it was all of 7:30 a.m. and we were done.... well, almost......cut, quarter, cape, strap on the packs and up the hill we went arriving at camp around 5pm.....that hurt me bad but I wouldn't trade if for the world. to see my old man as excited as he was, was worth every grueling step.......

I'm sofa king we todd it that I can't figure out how to caption each photo individually so here they come in this order:

My dink-
Old mans stud buck with a split brow-
Hawks battle tested deuce-
mess-o-horns-
and sweet success-

Attachments

• 100_0932.JPG
    100_0932.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 260
  • 100_0943.JPG
    100_0943.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 260
  • 100_0939.JPG
    100_0939.JPG
    162.9 KB · Views: 273
  • 100_0957.JPG
    100_0957.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 259
  • 100_0963.JPG
    100_0963.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 257
redline410,

you guys have used all your Coues luck for quite some time...congrats to all three of you. Those are great looking deer...

Wow, three bucks off the same rock within minutes of each other. Impressive! Good job.

Thanks boys- Every now and again the sun shines on a dogs ass. We got way lucky there's no deniying that.......

Fantastic bucks CJ!!! Wish I had thought to pack a tank and flops too, I'd have been much cooler on hike out ;)........

That is amazing. Never heard of anyone shooting three Coues on the same morning. Congratulations.

Tomorrow we leave for Kaibab. With any luck, we'll do as well.

That is amazing. Never heard of anyone shooting three Coues on the same morning. Congratulations.

Tomorrow we leave for Kaibab. With any luck, we'll do as well.

We actually killed 4 on opening morning... mine was the biggest... but I got him on the second day... we went 5 for 5 opening weekend... but it was in the late 70's ......Redline and his trifecta rocks..[ harder to do what they did in 2008] good luck in the Kaibab... Danr

Holy Smokes! 3 Coues by 7:30am on opening day? You've obviously done your homework and it's paid off extremely well! Kudos to the Coues slayers! Also good luck to you too, Dan!

Anyone remember left over coues tag days?... thousands of left over tags down south in the 70,s 80's back then you could find herds of 50 to a 100 coues ....thats why Redlines hunt is so awesome.....not even close to as many deer these days

Anyone remember left over coues tag days?... thousands of left over tags down south in the 70,s 80's back then you could find herds of 50 to a 100 coues ....thats why Redlines hunt is so awesome.....not even close to as many deer these days

There are tons of left over coues tags every year (none is december).

This year there were 2500 left over general tags(all coues I believe). 27 left over mzzld deer tags. 700 archery draw deer tags. 106 junior only tags. 2000 junior javelina tags and 354 12a turkey tags.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back