Officially a pit bull hater

I've had 3 bad encounters with pits.
3 dead pits.
Idiots of all walks have them all over here in NM.
Mixed with cow dogs,lion dogs that can be just as bad.

I carry a 9 now most times I think I need to.
End of story

Randy, Dogs are like kids. Kids reflect their parents and dogs reflect their owners.

Danr55,

For the most part I agree with you. There's never an excuse for a lack of control over your own dog. However pits have a genetic predisposition for aggression towards other dogs and I would never trust them around children or other animals.

Way to go Big Fin, I sit and wonder what this world is coming to.

I have had a concealed carry permit for years, just recently I started to carry more often. My wife and I took the motorcycle out the other day and when my wife placed her hands on my side she asked why I was carrying a pistol. I responded quickly that I have to be ready and able to protect my family and innocent people around me. I hope that I could react as quickly as you did.
Thank you Sir for helping that man and his dog.

Randy, Dogs are like kids. Kids reflect their parents and dogs reflect their owners.
Yep. Two great kids and picking up our new rottweiler the end of the month. A much misaligned breed, but this is our 3rd one. A more loyal and protective dog you will not find. It's all in the family tree. mtmuley

Best pitbull is a dead pitbull I've had too many bad encounters with them including the neighbors deceased pitbull now grabing a hold of my three year old niece, who knew an outdoor edge knife was made for other things than gutting an elk

Just read a 3 yr old was killed by 2 pits in Ok last Sunday.I don't care much for that breed or rotweillers.My ex wife loved rotties and we rescued a few which all had to go back for biting either my kids or their friends.Of course we were told how loving they were,lol.I will say they are very loyal,but God forbid your kids start wrestling around with their friend in a rotties presence

I'm sorry to those that love this breed, but when I here how loving they are I wonder if those people have ever had a lab, retreiver, collie, or any other typical family pet breed. Has anyone ever read about a lab turning on anyone or killing a kid? I haven't, but I guarantee they are rare at best. Sorry but its not like the parent kid debate. The kids are genetically linked to mirror the parent. A dog's habits can mirror the owner but genetics will play a much larger role. Cattle are the same way. We just got rid of a bull because some of his calves tend to blow up when cornered. Not all of them but enough that there is a correlation. It's the same way with dogs. I certainly can't question each of your dogs individually, but as a whole that breed is a danger to society.

When our new next door neighbor was moving in last year I joked to my fiancé that they probably had a pitbull. Well, the joke was on me because they do. It really sucks that I have to arm myself now to just go outside and play fetch with her dog. The thing stands by their door with a ferocious bark wanting to kill her little corgi. It's really put a damper on living in an otherwise awesome neighborhood. If they still have pits when we have young children, I'll probably end up moving because of it. A guy should be able to let his kids play in the backyard without having to stand over them ready with a gun.

I used to work with someone that had a neighbor who would let their rottweiler out at night. Dog would jump the fence and get into peoples trash and it was very mean.
After numerous run-in with the dog at the trash cans I told her husband to put out a bowl of anti-freeze next to their trash cans. That took care of the problem. It works on stray cats too.

Kind of a chickenshit way to handle it. Regardless of the dogs behaviour, it didn't deserve that. Hard way to die. mtmuley

Kind of a chickenshit way to handle it. Regardless of the dogs behaviour, it didn't deserve that. Hard way to die. mtmuley

And who knows what else dies. Right up there with poison bait.
I would rather lay in wait or confront it one on one,been there done that.Dogs,wild pigs.Even with bears.

Plus, if it was my dog, you've just set yourself up for a severe ass-beating. mtmuley

My daughter and I have each owned pitbulls and they were nothing like what's being described here, however , there are a lot of bad ones out in society, so the fear and loathing is understandable. They are the most misused and abused dog breed in America.

Plus, if it was my dog, you've just set yourself up for a severe ass-beating. mtmuley

^^^^ This....call animal control or even shoot it if it is going after your family or pet but THAT is definitely chicken shit and an invitation to have an "accident" of some sort.

if the dog was in trash big deal but still anti freeze to kill it that's kind of chicken shit, I have killed a pit but that's because it got a hold of my three year old niece on my property and she had to get stitches because of that little bastard but anti freeze to kill a dog that was in trash? You're just asking for an ass beating

It seems every problem you see on the news with a dog breed is a pit-bull. As they say you can't change a tiger's stripes. At some point their instincts for which they were bred kicks in.

Kansas has over 50 towns and cities that have banned them. I have no tolerance for them and whenever I see them I keep an eye on them.

www.dogsbite.org gives you a state by state dangerous dog ordnances.

Last edited:
I understand the statements made that "it's the owner, not the breed" for those who have never had a bad experience with a pit bull or a bull-mix. I always subscribed to the same theory. Until enough events with pit bulls caused me to think otherwise.

Since I wrote this in 2013, I had another pit bull encounter, though not quite what this one was. I drove to the trailhead where I do my daily hike. When I pulled up, a mother was on the top of her car screaming frantically. Her two little kids were inside, crying their eyes out. Walking around the car acting aggressive and barking was a young pit bull. I jumped out, grabbed my pepper spray and my trekking poles and went toward him. Like a lot of younger dogs, when confronted, he cowered and ran. I chased him to the owner and told him his dog will get sprayed if I ever see him again. I also explained that the dog had scared the chit out of some mother and her children. When I returned, the lady was in her car, hugging her kids to try comfort them from what had to be a terrifying experience.

As always, the reply given by the owner was, "This is not like him. He never gets aggressive. He wouldn't hurt anyone." I suspect if the dog did have intentions to hurt someone, he would have quickly been on top of the car chewing on the mother. Yet, for a mom and some terrified kids, that was probably enough to ruin their day. Probably enough to ruin any trust they had in dogs. I suspect that family no longer goes on trail hikes around Bozeman, given how many dog owners refuse to control their dogs.

Just about every event I hear of, personally encounter, or read of, that involves pit bulls, is the same story from the owners; "This is so out of character. He never has hurt anyone. blah, blah, blah." And I suspect those owners are sincere in that feeling, if they have always had positive interactions with the breed. Yet, for some reason, these dogs that supposedly never had a bad bone in their body lose it and bite, maim, and sometimes kill people with greater frequency than any other breed.

The statistics do not lie. Pit bulls make up a very small portion of the dogs in this country and are the overwhelming majority of incidents that involve injury to people. That cannot be denied.

For all who have the breed and have a good experience with them, I hope it continues to be a positive experience. I know of some people who have positive experiences and when I posted this on Facebook they read me the riot act. I get why their personal experience leads them to feel I am being harsh.

That said, I don't trust that breed. I've had too many negative experiences with them. For reasons I don't understand, my experience shows that the majority of pit bull owners are low-life ass clowns, though surely not all owners are of such character. Just a high enough percentage in my personal experience that I don't trust the in-breeding that created these thug-style owners any more than I trust the breeding that has created a dog that can flip his switch without warning.

I now go on the offensive with any dog that looks even slightly threatening, pit bull or otherwise. I carry pepper spray with me in my car and on every hike. I am not taking a chance if it comes near me and is not on a leash. Though pit bulls are not allowed in Bozeman, they are like fleas around here. I suspect I will have more encounters with them, given I hike every day and find myself in situations where moronic dog owners feel they are not responsible for controlling their dogs.

I had three dogs until two of them died in the last five years. My dogs knew how to behave and were socialized to interact with people and other dogs. They were never off leash, unless in my yard or at the neighbor's pond being trained, in their large outdoor kennel, or while out hunting. Not everyone is as comfortable around big dogs as I am, so I try to make sure my dogs do not make other people uncomfortable. Too bad the majority of dog owners, not just pit bull owners, think the rest of the world wants their mongrel jumping on, barking at, or growling at strangers.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back