Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Officially a pit bull hater

You are correct in that just about any dog can be turned into a blood-thirsty monster in the right environment.

That is not the discussion though.

The difference with pitbulls is that even in a good environment, the mean instinct cannot be taken out of them. It may go dormant for a while, but it can still be provoked.

That is why they are different from other breeds. Its in their genetics and we can't do anything about genetics.

Oh thanks I almost forgot:rolleyes:

Blacks love Watermelon... Mexicans wear pointy shoes.....and All Irish are drunks..etc,etc...:D....

Oh thanks I almost forgot:rolleyes:

Blacks love Watermelon... Mexicans wear pointy shoes.....and All Irish are drunks..etc,etc...:D....

You're getting waaaaay off-topic here.

If you don't think genetics play a role in dog behavior, explain to me why a chihuahua has never won a national field trial? Or why any dog that didn't come from hunting lines has never won a field trial.

I'm a big believer in dog genetics. I've trained several bird dogs, and I am willing to pay big $$$ for well bred dogs. There is a difference. And it is all genetic based.

To think that a dog that has been bred for generations to be aggressive can somehow lose that trait with some baby talk and snuggling is absurd.

Have had very bad luck with my dogs around the pit bull breed (three episodes). All these bad behaving pits have been owned by friends which are responsible owners. I think the fight/kill instinct is bred to strong in many of them. Doesn't matter what the owner does. They are bread to do what they do.

And this is the issue pit lovers will not admit: A pit that is loved as a puppy and never trained to fight can still snap due to instincts in the DNA. Sure, you can beat and torment a pit to guarantee a mean dog but not one of the pit lovers can explain away the cases were the pit "snapped" in spite of NEVER being trained to attack.

Word.

About a month ago there was a triple homicide (drug related) not too far from where I live. There was a young child and an infant that survived the murders along with almost 100 pit bulls that were used in a dog fighting ring. Besides the obvious heinous nature of the crime the thing that pisses me off the most was that the media seemed to care a whole hell of a lot more about what happened to the damn dogs that the well being of the two children. There have been plenty of reports both in the broadcast news and print about the "rehabbing" of the dogs and how many of them have found adoptions. Hell, there was even a call for donations to help the dogs, but I can't recall one story about what happened to or how to help out the kids. As far as I'm concerned they should have put down all the dogs at the crime scene.

smarandr you must live in Malad? I actually drove by there on my way over the divide the day the murder happened. I don't ever recall seeing the red semi truck though. One of my family members was first in attempting to get them all adopted :mad: I cringe at thinking that all of them will most likely be adopted, and many into family homes. These were bred killers!!

I hope everyone who is defending their pit bulls and rottweilers reads the already mentioned site: http://www.dogsbite.org/

I hope everyone who is defending their pit bulls and rottweilers reads the already mentioned site: http://www.dogsbite.org/

Careful posting up anti dog comments, some Mensa Genius from the Bitterroot Valley will start sending you hate PM's. Although, right now he is probably is his front yard with his Rott cleaning up beer cans for tonight’s party.

Last edited:
As someone who has owned 2 Rottweilers I can't imagine that they are a dangerous breed. They are the most affectionate dogs I've ever been around. Very sweet and gentle. Ours never even barked at people (one liked to bark at planes and tractors).

With that said, generally speaking statistics don't lie. This is a pretty sobering chart - http://www.dogsbite.org/pdf/8-year-dog-bite-fatality-chart-dogsbiteorg.pdf

Of the 251 deaths by dogs over the last 8 years, 151 of them were pit bulls, 32 were rotts and the next most was huskies with 10. One of the most common breeds of dogs in the entire US is labs and they accounted for only 4 deaths in that timeframe.

If you go by the % of the dogs out there to the % of the deaths they account for it would be amazing how high the % would be for pit bulls and rotts since they are not a very common breed of dog in most places.

Pretty scary looking through that dog bite site. I would be willing to bet that over the last 8 years more kids have been killed by pit bulls than by "assault weapons" by a large margin even with the Sandy Hook tragedy.

Here is the graph from Npaden's link. Like he said, very telling when you see a breed that is such a small segment of the entire dog population account for such a huge percentage of the total deaths.

I suspect this would be very similar if tracking severe injuries to humans by attacks, not just deaths. Probably would look the same if you tracked other dogs killed by attacks.

I draw from this, one of two conclusions. Either a disproportionate number of pit bull owners are irresponsible and allow their dogs to do this stuff, if as some claim, "It is the owner's fault, not the dog's fault." Or, the breed itself has been selectively bred for behaviors that result in a chart like this. Neither of those conclusions allow me to trust pit bulls.

I say the results shown on this chart is a combination of both of the possibilities listed above. Regardless of the cause, the end result is enough for me to stand by my comment in the title of this post. I am now officially a pit bull hater.

Attachments

• 8-year-dog-bite-fatality-chart-dogsbiteorg.jpg
    8-year-dog-bite-fatality-chart-dogsbiteorg.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 375
When my wife ran her boarding kennel Pits were not allowed. "Uh-uh, no way. Don't want 'em, hubby will shoot 'em."

I'd be curious to see the demographics behind the owners of pitbulls. Similar to gun violence demographics we know that the majority of gun violence occurs in poor urban areas, I'm wondering if the pitbull attacks/deaths have a similar parallel.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rohan7
Back