Officially a pit bull hater

Recently had to appraise and propose for some interior water damage for the daughter of a good friend. She invited me in and on her right side was an adult pit staring at me...on her left side was her one year old son. Immediately asked if the dog was ok. She said that he was fine but I was lucky the mean one didn't attack me as I walked from my truck...wth???

Your a saint to carry spray Randy....me I'll kill them.

1st one was with a 2x4 on a job site,I had it posted NO DOGS or radios.It attacked me and home owners,I got 12 stitches and shots.
2nd one had attacked our 13 yr old German shepard that was try to protect my ex and was on a leash on their walk to the lake in NF surrounded by cabins,campgrounds and people.I came up on the scene in my truck and jumped out,saw the lock that poor excuse of a mutt had on Jackie and grabbed my 30-30,cracked it on the head then shot it as it came back at me.
The owner came out of cabin with 2 more rescue dogs running and I shot at the ground in front of them.Told the guy one more step by anything in that yard and there would be more dead to collect,him too.I called 911,sheriff and FS showed up and cited the owner,tried to give me a lecture and I produced my badge and law book backing my position.
Our dog survived with neck torn open and dozens of stitches and lived 2 more yrs.

3rd was one that had killed 2 of our Alpaca sheep and was on a 3rd. The owners had been our orchard picking our fruit,trespassing/stealing. I had them arrested/cited too.

It was the start of the end of my LEO career and what I will not tolerate anymore.

Can not count the number of times my dogs(leashed) have been attacked by dogs that are running loose here in bozeman. Have a carbon fiber ski pole that I always bring now that works great. Nothing like the "oh $hit" feeling you have when you see a stray dog coming at you at full speed and no weapons for defense. I don't like to carry handguns much even though I have my permit. Don't fancy my chances with law enforcement if I discharge a weapon in town. Different situation on local trails, etc.

Since reading this thread I have added a Wetterling axe(not full size) to a small day pack when we walk the dogs. Any dog that the carbon fiber pole will not deter will get its skull split by a hand forged "battle axe" now. I'm sick of this crap.

Bozeman is nuts with out of control dogs - and I remember one time when someone sprayed an aggressive dog with bear spray and he got his butt handed to him by the community.

Plus, if it was my dog, you've just set yourself up for a severe ass-beating. mtmuley
I tell you this from personal experience.
The ass beating would go to the owner who did not care enough about his dogs and cats to keep them out of my secure, fenced back yard. If your dog is going to menace me in my own back yard it will be killed.

The fact that a dog like that may need to be removed is understood. The cowardly way in which it was done is where the ass-beating would come in. mtmuley

It seems a common thread that the owners of these dogs love to let them run helter skelter.
When I was in my early 20's and still living with my parents, I made my living raising exotic birds for taxidermy. Everyone around knew this since I had been doing this since age 12.
One day I heard the birds going nuts and looked out to see a pitbull chasing my peacocks and chickens hell bent on killing. I grabbed the shotgun and put some birdshot in him. To my surprise he sheepishly crawled to my feet. Turns out that a young couple who knew me and my business had come over to get parts off of a junker that my dad had laying around. I politely scolded her for turning her dog loose on my property and she said " no way her dog was chasing birds, he would never do that
"
A few days later she had the nerve to call me and insist that I pay for the vet bill.

The fact that a dog like that may need to be removed is understood. The cowardly way in which it was done is where the ass-beating would come in. mtmuley

Guess I should have done it in an "honorable" way like dueling pistols at ten paces. Dead is dead, problem solved.

Quite a story Fin.

Like many on here, I am not a fan of pitbulls. Even if we put aside the fact that they are more likely to flip a switch and go lizard brain on a person, I think what they are capable of is reason enough to not own them or want to be around them.

For argument's sake, say you do trust an individual pitbull as much as you have trusted any dog. I still wouldn't let that dog around my family, if only for the reason that if they flip the switch, it would only take a moment for that dog to rip the throat out of a kid. It's what they are capable of compared to other dogs that gives me pause as much as anything. Whether you have a cocker, a lab, or a pitbull, you'd be a foolish to think they could never crack in a moment. People crack, and I trust people more than any given dog. Even my own lab, who lets my toddler son poke her in the eye, kick her in the junk, and tug on her ears with nothing more than 100% pacifism, could lose that part of her brain that regulates restraint.

When I was 6, a German Shepard tore the right side of my face off. We were over at a friend of my folk's house and I went over to pet it. It wasn't used to children and put my head in it's mouth. Dozens of stiches later my cheek was reattached. I will forever have the scars below my eye and on my jaw line where its mouth closed down on my face. Wierdly, it didn't really effect my feelings about dogs growing up, but when my son or daughter tries to pet a dog I don't know, I find myself inching closer and becoming tensed up, always making a plan for my own attack - even with my own sweet and motherly lab.

Last edited:
I'll have to lean on the side of the fence of not liking pit bulls...although no near death experiences, the facts don't lie. I've had one run after myself and my pointer while jogging past a house, and another time one came out at me, my daughter and my pointer.

Everytime I see one of these things I keep the dogs and kids away from it...worthless. There's always the exception to the rule...but there is also the majority.

Quite a story Fin.

Whether you have a cocker, a lab, or a pitbull, you'd be a foolish to think they could never crack in a moment. People crack, and I trust people more than any given dog. Even my own lab, who lets my toddler son poke her in the eye, kick her in the junk, and tug on her ears with nothing more than 100% pacifism, could lose that part of her brain that regulates restraint.

So true.
My brother-in-law had a mutt that began to snap and would attack for no reason. I warned my brother-in-law that one day that dog was going to tear the throat out of one of the many little kids that were always around.
One day I was playing soccer with the kids when suddenly the dog attacked me from behind, latching on to my love handle / spare tire. When he witnessed this attack he asked me if I wouldn't mind putting his dog down................not a problem.

Wish you had to take some type of classes to own a dog, that would weed out alot of the problems. When I had my german shepard, I couldn't even guess at the number of times I had to grab him and hold him up so he didn't bite some aggressive dog that ran up to us off leash on hikes/walks. Most of the times the owners were thankful that I didn't let him go ape chit on their dog, some where more than angry when I would kick there dog away.

The most scared I have ever been on a camping trip (and I had bears sniffing outside a one man tent before) was on a trip to a state park with a large group of friends from work. I was walking through a friends campsite to say high and as I walked by a camp chair it suddenly shot a few feet up in the air. His BIG rottweiler was staring at me and I was pretty sure I was about to be mauled. thank god he was a friendly dog, I scared him as he was sleeping soundly under the chair.

Back