Caribou Gear

***OFFICIAL*** 2023 SPRING BEAR THREAD

Was in 520 yesterday before the famous FWP pending closure email was sent. I bet a couple more sows will be shot before Friday night official close. Just like 510. I believe almost double the quota was shot in 510 this year, and it was mid week like 520. Montana invasion has alot of bear hunters moving in. Wonder what the male harvest is in 520 when the female quota is met? Saw multiple bears yesterday. Even had a low flying plane circle me and one of the bears I was spotting at the time. Pretty obvious what the plane was doing with two wing tip circles over the bear.
Felt like I was on one of my multiple breaks sheep hunts with Lewton flying over.

Some fine looking dinks on IG. My favorite had a caption about the bear having big claws; ugh they look big because the bear is tiny
A buddy of mine who has a YouTube channel shot a tiny boar 2 days ago. Of course he had to shoot it since he needed the content for his channel.

It had taken a hamburger bun into its mouth when he hammered an arrow into its liver. The bun was about the size of its head.

#hamburglar

A buddy of mine who has a YouTube channel shot a tiny boar 2 days ago. Of course he had to shoot it since he needed the content for his channel.

It had taken a hamburger bun into its mouth when he hammered an arrow into its liver. The bun was about the size of its head.

#hamburglar
I mean it's a boar... but I'm not sure if I would take that into the check station...

IMG_3102.jpeg

I saw a person asking on a Sask FB page since they have two tags if a sow and cub comes in can then shoot both
On this topic I was listening to Meateater a long time back and he mentioned a book, "Forty-Four Years of the life of a hunter" - Meshach Browning. It's the memoir of a hunter in Maryland in the early 1800s... that dude did not hold back on bears. Not only did he kills hundreds he would regularly shoot sows and cubs.

On this topic I was listening to Meateater a long time back and he mentioned a book, "Forty-Four Years of the life of a hunter" - Meshach Browning. It's the memoir of a hunter in Maryland in the early 1800s... that dude did not hold back on bears. Not only did he kills hundreds he would regularly shoot sows and cubs.
Was a much different time back then. Bears don’t have much meat on them to start with for their size but what would you get off shooting a fuzz ball size cub or even a yearling.

"It is illegal to harvest a sow with cubs"

yeah, but can you harvest a cub with a sow and then a sow.🤦‍♂️
That’s basically what he was asking. Actually in Sask just illegal to harvest sows with young if the year. If she has yearlings you could legally hammer her if you wanted

My NB bear hunt outfitter just posted a photo of bait going out. A thousand pounds of molasses/corn feed and 14 barrels of maple syrup.

I thought it'd be a capital offense in Canada to feed maple syrup to bears but what do I know

#hamburglar
Linky? So we can learn more about bear hunting and hamburgers.

Back