NV muleys - A new season starts

Woke up before daylight and could not hardly function. Liver is not a happy organ today. It tells me when it is unhappy and I usually pay attention. It had been flaring up for the last week and I think these last two days were enough to do the final trick.

I sent the camera guys with David and Jeff. Longbow kindly offered to stay in camp and make sure I manage myself. So this morning, I am not hunting. Nothing I can do about it, other than take meds and fluid, knowing it eventually stabilizes.

I will post any reports they may text to me.

No Himalayan Snowcocks, yet.

Keep yourself healthy, Randy. You have a lot more money to spend, I'm sure. ;)

Good luck with the liver and the cramps. I live in Houston and bike a lot, and tend to wake up in the middle of the night with leg cramps if I do not drink enough G2. Everyone seems to have a different food/med that works - good luck.

Hope it doesn't come down to "lets herd that buck towards Big Fin sitting in camp to see if he can get a shot"....... last years Montana Whitetail episode comes to mind!!

The crew returned late afternoon, out of water, completely exhausted and carrying some cool footage. Against my personal desires, but in my better judgement, I rested, filtered water, and drank water all day. Sometimes there is no alternative.

Feeling good enough right now to tackle the north ridge in the morning. A steady pace should have us glassing in two hours.

I wish I had some more recent recon on this location, before killing ourselves to get in here. My maps showed springs in every canyon, but they are all dry. If not for this lake we are near, we would be screwed. The bucks David and Jeff have been chasing are two huge drainage over. You cannot carry enough water to get there, hunt all day, then get back. Tomorrow it sounds like they are taking an extra water bladder borrowed from Longbow.

Had there ben water in every drainage, it would have been more huntable, but requiring brutal two hour climbs just to reach a glassing area. My fault for not getting local and recent info on the status of these springs. Had I known, we would have hunted a different area that has many guzzlers installed by NVBU chapters. They are consistent for deer, even if pressure is higher.

Pointer - the crew did film a Himalayan Snowcock today.

Hitting the sack, wil be a grunt to hike that ridge in the morn.

Keep healthy Fin! If you guys are near the only water, odds are you'll find the deer! Might not have to put yourself in the hospital to do it either!

Cramps aren't always from lack of potassium. If you really taxed yourself physically for a couple of days in a row that can certainly lead to cramps. You did the right thing by resting. Take it slow and steady. Good luck.

Pointer - the crew did film a Himalayan Snowcock today.
Way cool! If you can get a hunt for one on camera I'm sure that'd be another first for the OYOA crew. Crazy cool birds. I definitely plan on trying for one again sometime...

Climbed the north ridge this morning. But sure I could paint a picture of better mule deer habitat than what I am looking at right now. Someone needs to tell the bucks how great it is over here, because right now my morning tally is nothing but does.

Randy
Let me know where you are at, maybe I can give you some info. I spent 10 years guiding from Lamoille south to Harrison Pass. I've ridden in places that I don't believe ever saw a boot print.
Wes
801-550-4973

Can't think of a worse time for the hepatic system to sputter. Hang tough & be smart Fin.

Today was a good day, even if not fully recovered. I climbed some serious grades, glassed a lot of country, and had no set back. Jeff and David saw a group of bucks they plan to go after tomorrow morn. They think it will take them closer to the truck than to camp. I plan to look over some basins below camp.

We are pulling stakes around noon. Will be back to the truck before sundown then make plans for Saturday. I did hire the guy with the mules to come and get most our gear, at least most the production gear that was killing us. More than glad to give him any of our other gear that he had room for.

I hope those guys get one of those bucks in the morning. They have worked incredibly hard and it would be nice for them and the production crew to get a buck. They camera guys are about shot, but not one complaint, only smiles from them. They will be a great crew to have this year. Now, if we could just find a way to make Longbow our permanent production assistant, fill in host, and quartermaster, this show would be a breeze to produce.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back