Caribou Gear

NV muleys - A new season starts

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
After a couple days of meeting in Missoula, I came home today and I am packing and organizing like crazy. We leave tomorrow morning for a week of archery mule deer in the Ruby Mountains of Nevada.

Me, two traditional archer friends from Sitka Gear, and NVLongbow. Should be a lot of fun, but it is going to wipe me out. I have never entered a hunting season in this poor of physical condition. Fortunately, I am about five pounds lower weight than a few months ago, but my cardio and strength sucks.

I have lobbied the Forest Service for four years, trying to get a filming permit in a wilderness area. Finally, finally, I was able to work my way through the administrative rules and found a way that in some instances, a Forest Supervisor can make an exception. Huge thanks to the folks on the Toyaibe-Humbolt NF for seeing the benefits of promoting back country hunting.

Great news to finally get permission to film in a wilderness area. When I looked at my pack this evening, that news was not too exciting, given when lies ahead of me, as we head into our pre-determined camp location. Nice to try get far away from other hunters, but not so nice when you are a desk jockey and you get to carry it all on your back. Looking at the AK sheep pics of the last week, I am sure this would be a walk in the park compared to those hunts, so I will keep smiling and keep walking.

We drive to the trail head tomorrow, organize our packs, then head in the next morning. Probably a four hour hike. Given it is a wilderness area, we have to bring a week's worth of goodies on our backs. I think I will lose some weight on this hunt.

I love archery mule deer hunting. If you gave me one choice of where to hunt them with a bow, it would be Nevada.

It has been two years since I drew a tag down there. That year, I drew my first choice, which was a huge surprise. This year, I drew my last choice, and you could have bought this tag as a leftover, once the first and second choice draws were done.

We are trying a lot of new things with the show this year, mostly based on feedback from past seasons. I think we now know what people want to see more of. We have some amazing upgrades in the production equipment, so I think the imagery and quality of the footage will increase again this year.

I think I will have some coverage when I am up there. I don't think cell phones are prohibited in a wilderness area, so I will try to give updates whenever Mr. Verizon provides coverage and so long as Mr. Brunton can keep the sum charging our electronics.

Best of luck to all of you this season.

IMG_5503.JPG

Looking forward to viewing this hunt. If anything, the footage should be amazing. Good luck Randy.

Good luck. I guided in the Ruby for 10 years. We killed some great bucks. I have the second rifle season and can't wait to get back into that high country.
Wes

Good luck, Will be just across the way in 073 hunting Elk and 075 hunting Antelope starting Saturday the 25th. Will be following the best I can being out and about myself.

Good luck Randy! Have fun but don't push yourself too hard too fast.

Let the fun begin.I'm sure looking forward to reading your updates and best of luck to all involved.

My favorite time of year....Get home from my daily grind, read your hunt posts and wish I was YOU!!! Hope all goes well for you and your crew!

Finally..... I love reading your stories and keeping up with your hunts ....good luck guys!

never having been in the WA but been to the trailhead and it is some beautiful country. Be sure to have dinner at the Star in Elko.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back