NRA On The Hot Seat - Exposed or Attacked?

I think we should all honor @Big Fin 's request to stick to hunting, public lands, and general outdoor areas of interest during this hunting season - to leave political and social hot-button debates to other forums and other times. He locked the one most active political thread of the moment (Blue Lives Matter), but there are dozens of these older threads that could be dredged up to take its place if we don't exercise self-discipline. BigFin and Mrs. BigFin give us the gift of this forum - let's do our part to honor their simple request for the next 3-4 months and not make them constantly chase the next firefight. I have been a frequent participant in these types of discussions in the past, but I am taking a hiatus out of respect to their ask - I encourage the rest of HT to do the same.

I respect that request. The thread, however, is inescapably political in nature. Impossible to discuss the NRA, especially the topic, without addressing the politics involved.

I respect that request. The thread, however, is inescapably political in nature. Impossible to discuss the NRA, especially the topic, without addressing the politics involved.

I think it more depends on your ability to think/type objectively and hear out other view points.

Big Fin and others here do a great job of discussing current events without resorting to the current my team your team mileu, sometimes their examples can be tough to follow but they should be the goal. Facebook is a great alternative if one just wants to pick fights with the world.

I don’t disagree, that’s really the point. BigFin is asking for these threads to take a time out for the season.

I appreciate everyone’s openness here and willingness to listen to other points of view.

I became a member of RMEF and the NRA in high school. I am still a proud member of the Elk Foundation because they have stayed focused and true to there mission. They have also shown a willingness to not see situations in black and white, but find creative ways to work for wildlife. I quit the NRA when I couldn’t handle the loss of focus. It fell into today’s divisive political game, and I refuse to partake. It got involved in big politics and it’s ego grew... now we see the consequences.

I may be idealistic, but I believe we still have to find ways to bring people together and work with everyone for the greater good. I believe the good is wild public land that is freely accessible to the responsible weapon owner.

My Mom always says, “Nick, if you get down in the mud your just another pig.” I’d laugh and tell her we should just slaughter them and make 🥓... She’d say, “Oh, Nick...” and laugh...

I refuse to read anything by that jackwagon. He's really burned me with his head-in-the-sand stance regarding the legitimate conflicts between recreation and wildlife. But I agree with the title.

I refuse to read anything by that jackwagon. He's really burned me with his head-in-the-sand stance regarding the legitimate conflicts between recreation and wildlife. But I agree with the title.
I don’t agree with everything anyone says, but he makes some good points.

What would NRA supporters do if they found out the NRA is promoting the sell off of public lands?

My guns mean nothing without a place to hunt with them, which is public land.....

The NRA has NEVER come out in support of Public Lands......their silence is deafening.

In all fairness, it's not part of their mission statement.
Good point.

Many people think that 2A support and Public Land support go hand in hand.....often the opposite is true.

I need a shower.

Pretty much the response of every person who ever met him in person. How funny that he was the guy in charge of the insurance program that is a huge money loser and part of what brought another level of inspectors to the NRA. For him to be professing innocence and claims of trying to change things from the inside has most laughing out loud.

Powell was disliked by insiders and outsiders. He doesn't have a lot of places to go, so the media and the folks hungry for a 2A story might seem like a welcome party to him. It was often surmised that his climb to that position was the result of incriminating pictures he had of an important person.

Bankrupt and moving to Texas. Looks like ol Wayne is leading the org straight to the scene of the crash (Ron White reference)...

I understand the logic of moving to a conservative state, although I think such a move is damning commentary about their regard for lawful practices. But why would they restructure in Texas? Sure, it has been a traditionally conservative state, but the drumbeat of demographic change that has driven the Sun Belt to increasingly vote for Democrats will likely keep progressing. Georgia didn't just suddenly vote for Democrats out of the blue in 2020, it has been trending that way for a while. Texas has also been trending towards Democrats over the last few cycles, and it has a lot of similarities to Georgia (larger urban/suburban population relative to the rural population, large minority population, large amount of younger college educated people moving in).

Maybe they are banking on the Texas legislature being very aggressive with the 2022 gerrymander, or maybe it has more to do with access to lawyers that you might not find in other states like Wyoming or the Dakotas. Or there are other things that I likely don't understand. But it almost feels like some old guy saying "Screw New York, I am moving to a conservative state!" while not realizing the Texas of his youth is slipping away.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htcooke
Back