NRA On The Hot Seat - Exposed or Attacked?

Imagine if you were given a brand to build a business around (with "business" being how successful non-profits operate) and you drove it into the ground during a period when 7 million new customers were handed to you, in addition to the existing 70 million customers that exist of which you have penetrated less than 5% of that existing market.

That is what the NRA has done. In the last two years we have 7 million new gun owners, guns and ammo sales are at all-time highs, a scarcity exists in all parts and components, yet the NRA has to file bankruptcy. They and their marketing message have only been able to appeal to 5% of existing gun owners.

The NRA has been given the baton of a Constitutional right under 2A, and they still can't make a go of it in an environment with virtually no competition. They have failed. No other way to say it. The NRA had nothing but tailwinds and a downhill grade from a business standpoint, and they ran it off the rails and we now see a pile of smoldering wreckage that is our interest in 2A.

If that was a corporation the entire Board of Directors, all senior management, and all trusted consultants/advisors would be gone. This is completely unacceptable. House cleaning is far more necessary than the irresponsible bankruptcy route that only passes the financial burden onto groups who helped keep the NRA afloat to this point. Vendors, contractors, others who the NRA owes money to will get screwed.

Next time the NRA tells me they support conservative principles, I'm gonna ask them when stiffing folks who do good work is a conservative principle. Most all reading this pay their bills, live within their budgets/means, and take responsibility. Yet the NRA is wanting a bail out, to not be held accountable for their financial malfeasance, displaying the antithesis of responsibility and the conservative principles they claim to support.

I've given them my opinions when the opportunity was presented. I know many much higher up in the shooting and hunting industry have given them an earful. I know some larger donors have voiced concerns. Yet, those who hold the reins of power, mostly the Executive Committee of the Board, the Board Nominating Committee, and the Senior Executive staff are all deaf to the calls for change. Given how much ignorance and arrogance is on display at the NRA, the only remaining path is to watch it implode and take a few more generations to rebuild an organization worthy of the trust gun owners have placed in the NRA.

Yes, at the time when representation on gun issues is at a premium, those who we have entrusted with that cause have failed us gun owners and members. A lot of ground might be lost due to the ineptitude of those leading the NRA. It is a reality. It is a lesson to be learned. This failure is not the fault of those promoting gun restrictions. The NRA had every possible benefit, every advantage in numbers and financing, every possible legal benefit of a constitutionally protected cause.

And here we are, watching the place burn down while those in charge take their grifting ways to a new location, asking the court to screw over the many people who they owe money, and let them hit the reset button for a new start without even the slightest demand for change or reform.

As an Endowment Life Member, the NRA and the current cadre of crooks will never get another dime from me. I will continue to advocate for gun ownership and do what I can to speak up for my rights under 2A. Giving money and the responsibility for this cause to the NRA is a proven path to failure.

Odds are we will not have another organization to replace the NRA. The NRA has damaged the trust gun owners have placed in them, making it unlikely a replacement group can overcome the scars the NRA has struck. It will be incumbent on each of us to speak up, to write, call, email our elected officials and make our voices heard. That is a far more effective manner than sending money, and the implied trust and responsibility that goes with money, to the NRA. The current ship of fools has proven time and again that they are not worthy of our trust.

A sad day, for sure. The sooner we face the reality and quit pretending the situation will change, the sooner gun owners will be started down a better path.

I better go shovel some snow. This entire fiasco, watching it unfold over the last five years, pisses me off to no end. If I typed what I really want to say, I would have to ban myself from Hunt Talk.

Maybe the government will bail out the NRA the way they did GM and Chrysler :unsure:

Imagine if you were given a brand to build a business around (with "business" being how successful non-profits operate) and you drove it into the ground during a period when 7 million new customers were handed to you, in addition to the existing 70 million customers that exist of which you have penetrated less than 5% of that existing market.

That is what the NRA has done. In the last two years we have 7 million new gun owners, guns and ammo sales are at all-time highs, a scarcity exists in all parts and components, yet the NRA has to file bankruptcy. They and their marketing message have only been able to appeal to 5% of existing gun owners.

The NRA has been given the baton of a Constitutional right under 2A, and they still can't make a go of it in an environment with virtually no competition. They have failed. No other way to say it. The NRA had nothing but tailwinds and a downhill grade from a business standpoint, and the ran it off the rails and we now see a pile of smoldering wreckage that is our interest in 2A.

If that was a corporation the entire Board of Directors, all senior management, and all trusted consultants/advisors would be gone. This is completely unacceptable. House cleaning is far more necessary than the irresponsible bankruptcy route that only passes the financial burden onto groups who helped keep the NRA afloat to this point. Vendors, contractors, others who the NRA owes money to will get screwed.

Next time the NRA tells me they support conservative principles, I'm gonna ask them when stiffing folks who do good work is a conservative principle. Most all reading this pay their bills, live within their budgets/means, and take responsibility. Yet the NRA is wanting a bail out, to no be held accountable for their financial malfeasance, that antithesis of responsibility and the conservative principles they claim to support.

I've given them my opinions when the opportunity was presented. I know many much higher up in the shooting and hunting industry have given them an earful. I know some larger donors have voiced concerns. Yet, those who hold the reins of power, mostly the Executive Committee of the Board, the Board Nominating Committee, and the Senior Executive staff are all deaf to the calls for change. Given how much ignorance and arrogance is on display at the NRA, the only remaining path is to watch it implode and take a few more generations to rebuild an organization worthy of the trust gun owners have placed in the NRA.

Yes, at the time when representation on gun issues is at a premium, those who we have entrusted with that cause have failed us gun owners and members. A lot of ground might be lost due to the ineptitude of those leading the NRA. It is a reality. It is a lesson to be learned. This failure is not the fault of those promoting gun restrictions. The NRA had every possible benefit, every advantage in numbers and financing, every possible legal benefit of a constitutionally protected cause.

And here we are, watching the place burn down while those in charge take their grifting ways to a new location, asking the court to screw over the many people who they owe money, and let them hit the reset button for a new start without even the slightest demand for change or reform.

As an Endowment Life Member, the NRA and the current cadre of crooks will never get another dime from me. I will continue to advocate for gun ownership and do what I can to speak up for my rights under 2A. Giving money and the responsibility for this cause to the NRA is a proven path to failure.

Odds are we will not have another organization to replace the NRA. The NRA has damaged the trust gun owners have placed in them, making it unlikely a replacement group can overcome the scars the NRA has struck. It will be incumbent on each of us to speak up, to write, call, email our elected officials and make our voices heard. That is a far more effective manner than sending money, and the implied trust and responsibility that goes with money, to the NRA. The current ship of fools has proven time and again that they are not worthy of our trust.

A sad day, for sure. The sooner we face the reality and quit pretending the situation will change, the sooner gun owners will be started down a better path.

I better go shovel some snow. This entire fiasco, watching it unfold over the last five years, pisses me off to no end. If I typed what I really want to say, I would have to ban myself from Hunt Talk.

There is no threat from Biden. Just Fox News Fear Tactics. The only President to pass ANY anti-gun legislation in the last 25 years is Donald J Trump.

Truth is truth. Don’t believe the fear mongers.

GW expanded gun rights.

Obama expanded gun rights.
Truth is truth, where did Obama expand gun rights? Joe Biden has said he is going after the NRA , he has said “ your damn right I’m going after your guns “ see I live here in eastern Md . I work in Delaware , Joe was a client of mine , I’m one of the people that got paid. He was my parents attorney back in 1970, I’m in his neighborhood all the time . Look lord knows I hope your right but I know your dead wrong. He has a anti gun agenda I heard it from his own mouth at a fund raiser . I’m not feeling good about this Congress , Senate or administration ! I’m not at all supporting the NRA , they have let all their members down and are ingrossed in scandal . This is the worse time for this to happen. Remember the Constitution has 2A not for the right to hunt but for the right to defend ourselves from tyranny both foreign and domestic . Though I don’t own one it is there for the high capacity clips and black guns. I hope your right because I want to be wrong.

Let them kill each other.

If you can afford a belt fed, I want you to be able to buy one.(as long as you let me shoot it)

You've met them. If we could just make it so they'd kill each other, that's fine, but they won't. They'll take out kids, grandma's, dogs, cats (totally ok with that), Starbucks, Aunt Jemimia bottles, every Bond movie except the awful Timothy Dalton ones, congress, etc.

You can get a belt fed already, just have to prove to uncle sam you're not crazy.

The “don’t give an inch” rhetoric is exactly why the NRA failed to stay relevant. More and more gun owners do not fit the traditional demographic of this country, and that message doesn’t appeal to people who want their guns, but also are capable of acknowledging and actually discussing that there is a problem with gun violence in this country and we need to figure it out.

Refusing to even enter the building is no way to inject your agenda into the discussion (NRA). If you show up and demonstrate a capacity to engage in a serious, thoughtful conversation, people will value what you have to say. We need a group that does that for 2A.
I’m sorry but all the gun legislation on the world will not stop gun violence, it’s not the guy who buys a gun legally you is the problem . Most of the gun violence occurs in urban areas with drugs and crime behind the chaos. Most of these people can’t even legally own firearms . The press and the liberals will never give a hard working citizen a fair chance to give his side of the argument . I live in the East and you need only to listen to the media and radio to hear the false depiction of gun owners. I’m not going to defend the NRA because they have let us all down. I do however know what you give of your gun rights will only be taken from you with a new set of demands to follow. Think about it 7 million new gun owners and still does Capital hill think , hey we need to understand public sentiment ? Yeah right , government says we are all misguided and guns only cause more problems.

I’m sorry but all the gun legislation on the world will not stop gun violence, it’s not the guy who buys a gun legally you is the problem . Most of the gun violence occurs in urban areas with drugs and crime behind the chaos. Most of these people can’t even legally own firearms . The press and the liberals will never give a hard working citizen a fair chance to give his side of the argument . I live in the East and you need only to listen to the media and radio to hear the false depiction of gun owners. I’m not going to defend the NRA because they have let us all down. I do however know what you give of your gun rights will only be taken from you with a new set of demands to follow. Think about it 7 million new gun owners and still does Capital hill think , hey we need to understand public sentiment ? Yeah right , government says we are all misguided and guns only cause more problems.
Point to where I said anything about legislation. Read it again without adding your own meaning to it please.

485B855D-F1F2-475F-987A-B4A472056CEF.jpeg
What do you know...Prime example in the mailbox right now. This type of crap on every piece of communication is simply meant to appeal to an ever narrowing segment of their membership to elicit a knee-jerk emotion that will separate people from their cash, and does nothing to actually help promote the 2A cause among the general populace.

I am a life member.

There was a point some years back when I decided that anyone who had more dollars in his suit closet than his gun safe was not someone I wanted to give money.

I think at this point every letter I get from them asking for money, I will just buy another 80% lower.

What would Chuck (Heston) do?

Yeah the NRA has lost its way a bit at the top level. The constant begging for money to line the pockets at the top, I mean fight for our 2nd Amendment rights is pretty obnoxious. Luckily there are many other groups some of them listed in my response and some of those also specialize to a particular group of individuals not all of these are necessarily non profits and there are many others, but for those of us unhappy with the NRA might make sense to look at the alternatives:

I’m a life member too but the NRA lost its way. Seems like Save the Harvest might be a more appropriate place for my donations

I think what we all need to realize/accept is that the NRA essentially turned into a political organization. Not in the sense of lobbying, but more in the sense of getting people elected. Others hit the nail on the head regarding fear mongering. Unfortunately, that’s proven to be a very effective technique in getting people elected. It works. So the NRA uses that to get people elected. They spend as much time on that as anything else other than trying to take our money to support it. As was mentioned in The Social Dilemma, we are the product not the customer. And we give them our hard earned money so they can sell our votes. The whole thing disgusts me.

So are you for or against criminal background checks? Hard to tell from your response.

View attachment 170168
What do you know...Prime example in the mailbox right now. This type of crap on every piece of communication is simply meant to appeal to an ever narrowing segment of their membership to elicit a knee-jerk emotion that will separate people from their cash, and does nothing to actually help promote the 2A cause among the general populace.
Please do not think this as condescending , I have no-desire to insult you. The problem is you live in North Dakota and you see this issue from that perspective. I live in Maryland , January 4 th Md introduced a new bill to have all gun buyers to apply for a LQL to by a long gun. Maryland has in place now the HQL ( hand gun Qualification Lic ) to buy a handgun in Md you need to take a on line course pay $200 and get your fingerprints done.This and a seven day waiting period for background check. Md residents can only buy 1 handgun a month , its extremely difficult to get a carry permit , darn near impossible! Now the legislature wants this same law for long guns. Now understand we have some of the strictest gun laws in the country but the city of Baltimore has 300 or more murders a year.

I live in liberal hell , you cannot have healthy constructive conversation with many people on the east and west coast, many people here stock answer is we need gun control ! When I reply we have some of the strictest gun laws in the country they look at you dumbfounded! I’m not exaggerating , they listen to the news and hear guns are the reason for all the killings but never question it. I was raised a Kennedy liberal and I’m liberal at heart donating money and my time to help the disadvantaged.

Joe Biden ( I know him and his circle personally ) is going to try to pass strong oppressive gun laws . I have heard him say it in my presence. I live 35 minutes from him and work next to his home constantly. The NRA was a Road block to these politicians who are trying to take our rights. They have let us all down and left the door open for this administration to start doing on a federal level what east coast states have been doing for a while. Did you know that if you have 5 hollow point bullets you can do a year for each bullet even if you have a carry permit from another state . The news blasted a former Philadelphia Eagle for driving in New Jersey with a handgun in the trunk and hollow point bullets . The media was calling them cop killing bullets that penetrate bullet proof vest.
A caller on a local Philly sport talk show called in to clarify that that’s not the intention for hollow points and was hung up on and declared an idiot. This is the world I live in and you can not reason with someone who doesn’t care what you have to say!

You are a good person and I see your point, your open minded and have good intentions, I hope I am as well but this new political environment is very closed minded and could care less about you or your right ! I am new to this forum and many of you are in the west. I know I’m coming off wrong from the negative comments I receive but I see this from a different perspective and it’s not a sunny one I’m sorry to say ! My intentions are good it just going to take some time for me to fit in.

Last edited:
So are you for or against criminal background checks? Hard to tell from your response.
No not at all but look ar Md , NY and NJ gun laws and you will understand how repressive it is on the east coast ! I’m for legal and responsible gun ownership, I have never pointed a gun at anyone in my 60 years of life and I don’t want too! Most who know me don’t know I am a gun owner even though there is 50 in my home and 10’s of thousands of rounds . I hunt and love sporting firearms , some of us love black guns some handguns. If your ownership is lawful you have my support! If I could live by the Bible and the constitution I would be a happy man

Please do not think this as condescending , I have no-desire to insult you. The problem is you live in North Dakota and you see this issue from that perspective. I live in Maryland , January 4 th Md introduced a new bill to have all gun buyers to apply for a LQL to by a long gun. Maryland has in place now the HQL ( hand gun Qualification Lic ) to buy a handgun in Md you need to take a on line course pay $200 and get your fingerprints done.This and a seven day waiting period for background check. Md residents can only buy 1 handgun a month , its extremely difficult to get a carry permit , darn near impossible! Now the legislature wants this same law for long guns. Now understand we have some of the strictest gun laws in the country but the city of Baltimore has 300 or more murders a year.

I live in liberal hell , you cannot have healthy constructive conversation with many people on the east and west coast, many people here stock answer is we need gun control ! When I reply we have some of the strictest gun laws in the country they look at you dumbfounded! I’m not exaggerating , they listen to the news and hear guns are the reason for all the killings but never question it. I was raised a Kennedy liberal and I’m liberal at heart donating money and my time to help the disadvantaged.

Joe Biden ( I know him and his circle personally ) is going to try to pass strong oppressive gun laws . I have heard him say it in my presence. I live 35 minutes from him and work next to his home constantly. The NRA was a Road block to these politicians who are trying to take our rights. They have let us all down and left the door open for this administration to start doing on a federal level what east coast states have been doing for a while. Did you know that if you have 5 hollow point bullets you can do a year for each bullet even if you have a carry permit from another state . The news blasted a former Philadelphia Eagle for driving in New Jersey with a handgun in the trunk and hollow point bullets . The media was calling them cop killing bullets that penetrate bullet proof vest. Ac
caller on a local Philly sport talk show called in to clarify that that’s not the intention for hollow points and was hung up on and declared an idiot. This is the world I live in and you can not reason with someone who doesn’t care what you have to say!

You are a good person and I see your point, your open minded and have good intentions, I hope I am as well but this new political environment is very closed minded and could care less about you or your right ! I am new to this forum and many of you are in the west. I know I’m coming off wrong from the negative comments I receive but I see this from a different perspective and it’s not a sunny one I’m sorry to say ! My intentions are good it just going to take some time for me to fit in.
Actually, my view comes from being born and raised in Oregon, living in Montana for 20 years, and working in several other states along the way.

Respectfully, I reject the notion that “you cannot have healthy constructive conversation” with anybody. It might be incredibly difficult but it’s only impossible when we throw up our hands and stop trying (which seems to be what everyone wants to do these days). If the NRA had been engaging elected officials in that type of dialogue all along and building relationships with people on both sides of the aisle where agreement could be found and leveraged, we would likely be in a much more favorable position now. Interestingly, according to Pew, there are more gun owners that identify as Independents or Democrats than Republicans, so alienating everyone who isn’t a hard-core Republican (which has pretty much been the NRA strategy as long as I can remember) is just plain stupid. I stand by the idea that there has to be a dialogue, though it may be too little too late now.

Back