Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Non resident fishing, Alaska

Wow. Sounds a cluster for sure. My wife and I have our honeymoon/fishing trip scheduled for the very end of August and we're starting to lose hope that it will come to fruition.
things seem to change daily with the virus and travel, don't lose hope just yet!

Well, the wife says she's not going. But, she SAYS that I can still go. Good Lord, this sounds like a set-up to me! Talked to our buddy up there about it and talked about shortening the duration. I won't have a truck, but have people up there available to haul if needed. I'll save about $600 on the rental vehicle by only going for 1 week. Not sure about her airfare being it was using the companion fare from the Alaska Air credit card. My new airfare is about $50 more than the two of us combined was. Will have to see if her fare money will transfer to mine or not. I don't know. REALLY want to get up there and do some fishing, grouse hunting, and just plain kick back along the river and relax. I know our place is overgrown and needs cleaned up. Hate to put off going until MAYBE next year. Decisions, decisions...

I leave for AK Monday morning. Looking forward to unplugging and doing some serious fishing for the next week!
Let us know how the airport thing works for you. Lots of people seem to be just walking past the checkpoint and leaving.

Our guests are coming from as far away as Boston and Orlando. Most come from the North west. So far they have been able to get tested within the 72 hour window or in Anchorage and then quarantine at the lodge.
none have had any difficulty getting here really, other then flights getting changed

I'll be back on grid Saturday, and let you know how the airport worked out!
Cool! I/we changed our plans. I'll be going up by myself and only for 1 week. I'll be cleaning up the stuff that grew all summer and make the joint look lived in again! Weed-eater rentals are $50 a day. I can do that. Depending on the fire danger level at the time I have last years brush I can attempt to burn. Slowly and carefully! At least I have water onsite! Other than that I'll be chilling and hopefully doing some fishing with a buddy. Anything beats staying here in Illinois!

Ok folks! I'm at our cabin. First off, the checkpoint is only for people who leave the Anchorage airport. It's set up right where you leave the terminal and head down the escalator by the big halibut. No getting around it. Connecting flights would mean you stay in the terminal and continue on to your destination. Testing there is an unknown to me. I had my declaration filed ahead of time and went straight through to the testing table. Said I was going to quarantine and they said exit this way! Tuesday this will change all over again. Proof of testing negative or a test and waiting for results. Otherwise you can get tested at the airport for a fee of $250. That's it. Show proof, pay up, or don't show up at all. I'll be leaving Friday night. Oh yeah, the salmon were swimming upriver at my buddy's place! :cool:

So what would happen if you had a connecting flight and stayed in the terminal, catch the connection and then .....?

I would do a search of Alaska airport testing sites and see which ones do it. Looks like your final destination would be it.

The pinks are running pretty solid up in the matsu valley. Wet a line today trying for some trout but no dice. Another storm rolling in from hatcher pass heading my way. Wife says we got hit hard this morning and lost power at home. Glad I'm here!

The pinks are running pretty solid up in the matsu valley. Wet a line today trying for some trout but no dice. Another storm rolling in from hatcher pass heading my way. Wife says we got hit hard this morning and lost power at home. Glad I'm here!
I always hated pinks, they run at the same time as silvers and always grab the hook instead of silvers. But always fun to catch, not bad cooked on the river, but they go down hill in a hurry for taste, texture, and flavor

Just got back on Sunday evening having been up since the 24th. Surprisingly one of the easiest and hassle free trips I've been on in a while, which i didn't expect. I got the test on the 22nd (that sucked) and my health system has an app they posted the results to in 24 hours so i printed that out and completed the declaration from before flying. At Pittsburgh airport there were about a 10th of the cars there normally are so parking was no issue. The plane boarded on time and orderly, all connections were on time so no delays. Landed in Fairbanks and people waiting to collect forms and/or help folks fill them out. Those that didn't have a test result were directed to a testing area. Everything appeared to go smoothly.
We drove down to Valdez the following Monday. Strange to see so few people there, I'm sure the economy is hurting. Stayed there a week and caught a bunch of pinks for the smoker then back to Fairbanks and on to my friends remote cabin for the second week. Flying back was just as seamless.

My time is over here in Alaska. For you folks coming up, this is what's waiting for you. Helps to have your declaration form filled out in advance.

20200814_201609.jpg

@Dave N what no photo's of the fish or your cabin?
Pity you couldn't have stayed and fished a bit longer, I will get there one day, but instead of travelling I am buying a rifle.

@SD_Prairie_Goat I have heard that with the Pinks, why do you think that is?
But I bet it's still great sport!

$250 for a test, somebody is making money somewhere!
We have had 2 tests, test to see if we got it, then a month later a test to see if we had it, grand total of nothing, and no, we were negative.

Cheers

Richard

@Dave N what no photo's of the fish or your cabin?
Pity you couldn't have stayed and fished a bit longer, I will get there one day, but instead of travelling I am buying a rifle.

@SD_Prairie_Goat I have heard that with the Pinks, why do you think that is?
But I bet it's still great sport!

$250 for a test, somebody is making money somewhere!
We have had 2 tests, test to see if we got it, then a month later a test to see if we had it, grand total of nothing, and no, we were negative.

Cheers

Richard
why I'm not sure exactly. They seem to degrade quicker. They already start out mushier and oilier, but it gets worse the longer they’re out of the water it seems. That’s why a lot of people smoke them.

But fresh from the ocean, cooked right on the beach after a long day of fishing, can’t beat it!

This may be a dumb question but I just filled out my declaration form and uploaded my test results online and I don't see any way to print it. I assume they look it up on the computer when you arrive? I will have a copy of my test.

This may be a dumb question but I just filled out my declaration form and uploaded my test results online and I don't see any way to print it. I assume they look it up on the computer when you arrive? I will have a copy of my test.
I showed it on my phone when I went. I'd have a copy of the test results printed off just in case tho

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back