Non resident fishing, Alaska

SD_Prairie_Goat

Hey all,

Wondering if anyone has a little better insight on the current restrictions in place up north.

I see the 14 day quarantine is supposed to be looked at again June 2, I'm wondering besides that bit, is there any restrictions on non residents fishing?

Have my yearly trip coning up in late June, so I'm trying to figure out if it's happening or not...

Thanks!

P.s. Photo from last year just cause
36685574-1528-40A3-9C9E-7153AE0C4717.jpeg

Good question...I'm waiting until June 2 to see where things are. Hoping I don't have to pull the plug on fishing up there.

Good question...I'm waiting until June 2 to see where things are. Hoping I don't have to pull the plug on fishing up there.
Me too man, I'm going to be bummed. And not that I spend thousands upon thousands of dollars, but we do spend money in small towns, usually Coppers Landing and Seward. Hate to see a lot of those little shops closing down :/

I wanted to drive up to my cabin in Alaska in the worst way this year.
I don't think Canada is going to open the border any time soon so I bought a airplane ticket today for July 14. I hope by that time they will be past having you take a covid test 72 hrs before take off if that even gets started up on June 6.
Going by myself. Wife loves going but since I'm staying till October she would miss the grandbabies too much.

If you must take a covid test 72 hours before arrival, and test results take 72 hours to get back, how does that work ?

I assume a text message result would be acceptable.

Last edited:
If you must take a covid test 72 hours before arrival, and test results take 72 hours to get back, how does that work ?
It pretty much doesn't! And if you get a test there in the airport and STAY until the results come back, if you test positive you are STUCK there somewhere until you test negative. Granted, you're positive, but now you're away from home for however long. IF you can get results before you fly and test positive, you now have last minute plane tickets to TRY and cancel along with all the other things booked for the trip that probably are already paid for. Nope, we're pretty much still locked out of Alaska.

I want to go to our cabin as well! :(

And if you wait for the results at the airport you miss your connecting flight even if you are negative. A flight that maybe only flies twice a week.

I would think the tourism groups, the Guides and outfitters associations, the charter captains lobbyists and the oil and gas industry would be tearing the governors door down to get this changed. The Alaska guides and outfitters association has a lot of pull in Alaska. The O&G industry is powerful to say the least and a lot of those workers are coming from out of state to work contracts this time of year!

Ya, I'm at a loss for what to do right now. Our flight is June 19 so were trying to figure out if we can get a quick result test to bring the paperwork with when we fly to anchorage.

Really not sure what to expect. I'd really love to hear for someone who flew through recently. From what I heard about the last 14 day quarantine requirements, most people just walked right by the paperwork at the airport and no one said anything about it.

Part of me wonders if its strong talk, but weak action on actual enforcement? I guess I have a couple weeks to figure it out...

I just looked up my state's testing. As of now, you can do a drive-thru test with no restrictions. The kicker? You get the results in a phone call! Papers be damned...

Can they text you the results ? That might work.
Website said you needed to answer the phone, no messages could be left due to privacy issues I believe. That would leave out text messages as well in my mind. Maybe later this year it will change again.

Part of me wonders if its strong talk, but weak action on actual enforcement? I guess I have a couple weeks to figure it out...

Zero enforcement... and I'm really not sure that they have any way of tracking you anyway. There are tourist just walking out of the airport and leaving town to do their thing. Case numbers are still very low, even with the uptick in positive cases since restrictions were lifted.

As far as the O&G wanting the travel restrictions lifted... They have even more strict guidelines. Safety is paramount to their employees, and it would totatly cripple up their operations if that shit got into their man camps. Its cost them a fortune, but they realize its important.

From what I've been hearing getting a plane tickets that line up with your schedule may be one of the more challenging parts.

FWIW, the fishing forecasts for most areas is not looking too rosey.

I can confirm the no enforcement or test checking. Just talked with a friend who flew up there a couple days ago. He just walked out as usual. We're now making plans to go up this fall!

Found this on the Anchorage TV station website. Even the state says there is little or no enforcement! Left a message with a friend in Anchorage to keep his ears open about the test result thing. Guess that part started today. I'll keep digging.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back