Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

New Truck Time - Testing and Sorting

Silverado. Hands down most comfortable ride out of the 3 options, along with the most fuel effecient. Dodges are terrible on gas. I don't have a lot of experience with their half ton trucks but their diesel trucks I spend quite a bit of time in. Transmissions are trash. If you're not pulling much then it would probably do alright.

When was the last time you were in a Dodge that had a "trash transmission?"

That's a thing of the past that left the Ram in early 2000's. They've been as good as the rest for the last 10-12 years.

Stick with a winner. I have driven a Titan since 2004 and now drive a 2017 Titan Pro 4X. Gets the job done in the mountains. Comfortable. No problems. Good mileage. Great price.

Reactions: LCH
For what its worth most pipeline contractors are running Ram 2500 gas burners. They hold up the best for that line of work and they are very hard on them.

When was the last time you were in a Dodge that had a "trash transmission?"

That's a thing of the past that left the Ram in early 2000's. They've been as good as the rest for the last 10-12 years.
Not sure where you got your data on that... But I can first hand tell you there is still an issue. Last time I was in a dodge with a bad transmission was 2 weeks ago I brought a 2012 dodge with 140k miles into the transmission shop to have the transmission replaced. I picked up a 2015 today that just had the transmission replaced at 150k miles. A month and a half ago, had a 2008 dodge go in for a new transmission because that one wouldn't even move.

These trucks regularly haul trailers. All I'm saying is that if you're going to buy a dodge, get an extra transmission thrown in on the deal because they have a serious problem.

Knock on wood, we haven't had to send any trucks in that are 2016 - current in for transmissions yet.

Note that these are all 2500 cummins trucks. Not 1500 gassers. Those seem to hold up for now.

Edit:
Maybe the new 1500s are as bad. 180k trucks recalled due to a electrical issue.

Last edited:
If I was trading at 100,000 miles or less, I’d go with a Ford. If keeping for 200,000 miles plus, I’d go Toyota. I understand that the Tacoma might be too small.

It was the PRO. My brother has a Tundra and he's never had a problem with it, same as my Titans. The Tundra is probably the most dated of the existing models. I suspect Toyota will come out with a new model of the Tundra soon and that will be an interesting time to take another look.

I'm impressed with the Toyota brand. My mom has had Toyota cars forever and has never had a problem. Marcus treats his Tacoma like a side-by-side and he has never had a problem. I don't need any convincing on the quality of Toyota. The Tundra just lags in features and performance when compared to other off-road ready trucks currently on the market. Yet, buying a Tundra, even used, is a remedial lesson in writing large checks.
Talk about lack of features. My 2012 Tundra doesn't even have intermittent wipers! Heck, my 1982 Toyota Pickup had those!

I've actually read in several places Toyota might be ending the Tundra entirely. Kind of like the T100, they just can't seem to crack that market.

I've actually read in several places Toyota might be ending the Tundra entirely. Kind of like the T100, they just can't seem to crack that market.

Which is a huge mystery to me. They are killing the small truck competitors with the Tacoma, which is an amazing truck. Why they can't apply what they have learned there and use it for the full-size half-ton is hard to understand. I'm sure there are reasons, but those reasons are not apparent to me.

Having just driven another Power Wagon, I am trying to recall the last time I drove something I felt was that powerful. No problem chaining up all four on this rig. Going over a few snow banks and across some fields was a pretty stiff bounce. Given it is a 3/4 Ton, I guess that is to be expected, but I also try to think about how the ride will be on a New Mexico road that is mostly lava rock. Since the camera guys get the bench seat in the back of the cab, I guess that is more their worry than mine. The interior was a bit less industrial than when I test drove them in 2016.

The price on the one I drove was a "cough, cough, you sure that price is accurate" moment. And the dealer says they sell them as fast as they get allocated to them. Which I take as code word for "We don't haggle on the price of these things. What part of $66,000 do you not understand, Mr. Newberg?"

I understand all of that. Question being, what can I find a low mileage 2019 for?

Impressive rig.

My wife hates diesel too, however the little 3.0l Exo boost she couldn’t even tell it was a diesel. Those little diesels with DEF have come along way compared to their bigger brothers.
It is what I have. Love it.

The price on the one I drove was a "cough, cough, you sure that price is accurate" moment. And the dealer says they sell them as fast as they get allocated to them. Which I take as code word for "We don't haggle on the price of these things. What part of $66,000 do you not understand, Mr. Newberg?"

I understand all of that. Question being, what can I find a low mileage 2019 for?

Impressive rig.

Looks like these can be had for high $40K, between $47-49K for a 2019 with 15,000 to 20,000 miles. Not many private sales out there as there are dealer sales. Dealers always want to add sales tax if not in MT, which is another 6-7%. In MT, they seem to mark them up more (because they can) and the dealer gets the equivalent of the sales tax.

Anyone have first-hand comments (not interested in more YouTube videos) about the stiffness of the ride on these when bouncing up a rock pile, which is often the real life situation for us. Dealer didn't seem too keen on me keeping it for a day or two to do some of my own analysis.

I bought a brand new F150 XLT for $36k (about $46k MSRP), added Bilstein shocks on all fours and new Duratracs (sold the OE ones for a few hundred), and I have taken that truck into some gnarly spots in Wyoming every year. Still gets 19-20 MPG with the 10 ply tires.

Unless there's something specific you like about the models you listed, you could save a lot with a run of the mill F150 and some very minor upgrades.

Looks like these can be had for high $40K, between $47-49K for a 2019 with 15,000 to 20,000 miles. Not many private sales out there as there are dealer sales. Dealers always want to add sales tax if not in MT, which is another 6-7%. In MT, they seem to mark them up more (because they can) and the dealer gets the equivalent of the sales tax.

Anyone have first-hand comments (not interested in more YouTube videos) about the stiffness of the ride on these when bouncing up a rock pile, which is often the real life situation for us. Dealer didn't seem too keen on me keeping it for a day or two to do some of my own analysis.
Keep in mind that the truck probably had 65- 85 psi in the rear tires. Thats how most dealers set 3/4 ton trucks. Its not necessary or even good unless you are loaded/towing. Next time drop it down to 40psi and compare apples to apples
I can tell you that it will loose up tremendously when you disconnect the swaybar.
It still won't be as nice as an independent front suspension over bumps but having that solid front axle will make it articulate and keep tires on the ground avoiding the tetter totter feeling when you lift a tire in the air.

what's wrong with just gettin another 2017 pro4x? or an 18 that matter? lots of those gotta still be hanging around in your preferred used mileage range, or at least <50-60k .... well at least in colorado, montana may be different

2017 saves money and it works yeah? if it ain't broke don't fix it?

plus you have seat covers, topper etc ready to just slide right into place

Last edited:
My buddy comes out to hunt once a year and sometimes I cant actually hunt with him all the days cause of work. He is a mega dodge fan boy but he pulls into my house every year with his current dodge and tosses me the keys and I toss him the keys to my 2009 silverado. Every dodge he has had is a nightmare on those mountain roads. He doesnt even try to defend it. He just thanks me for switching him trucks for the hunts duration.

Having just driven another Power Wagon, I am trying to recall the last time I drove something I felt was that powerful. No problem chaining up all four on this rig. Going over a few snow banks and across some fields was a pretty stiff bounce. Given it is a 3/4 Ton, I guess that is to be expected, but I also try to think about how the ride will be on a New Mexico road that is mostly lava rock. Since the camera guys get the bench seat in the back of the cab, I guess that is more their worry than mine. The interior was a bit less industrial than when I test drove them in 2016.

Impressive rig.
Here u go:

Might be a bit of a drive from Bozeman I forget Montana is long. Plus financing a new vehicle sometimes u get better interest rate yada yada.

My power wagon rides and handles good on gravel and rocky off road. Obviously it’s a stiffer ride than our F-150, but as far as 3/4 ton trucks go it’s pretty comfortable. Just so many things I like about mine. Like I said a page or so back, tons of room for chains, decent fuel economy, clearance, winch has come in handy, lockers really help in deep snow. The price just keeps climbing on these things. Glad I’ve only put 12k on my 18. I still haven’t drove the new super duty tremor, but it looks very interesting.

Which is a huge mystery to me. They are killing the small truck competitors with the Tacoma, which is an amazing truck. Why they can't apply what they have learned there and use it for the full-size half-ton is hard to understand. I'm sure there are reasons, but those reasons are not apparent to me.

Because they didn't feel the need to, and I think they are still recovering from the frame issues for both tocoma's and the tundras. Tough to justify dumping $50k into a truck for offroad capabilities, but it was an easy sell to get me into a 2019 tundra doublecab 4x4 base model for $30K, while also getting $9k for my 11 year old traded in tundra. Dump another $2k into bilsteins and offroad heavy load tires, and I'm ready for deer season.

It will be interesting to see the 2021 tundra and what kind of performance they get out of the twin turbo v6.

Last edited:
Back