New Book - I Need Your Help

EliAGrimmett

I've been writing a book for a few years about how to find, hunt, and kill giant pronghorn, though it's still far from finished.

I have most of the books on hunting antelope that exist in the world including, but not limited to:

"Hunting Trophy Antelope" by Mike Eastman
"Pronghorn Hunting" by Toby Bridges and Dan Oster
"Hunters Book of the Pronghorn Antelope" by Popowski and Pyle
"Pronghorn Ecology and Management" by O'Gara and Yoakam (not really a hunting book, but it's pretty awesome!)

I recently got the itch to finish my book when I saw on another forum someone say that Eastman's new "Hunting Trophy Antelope" book was the "Bible" on antelope hunting. I'm not OK with this just as anyone being told that a Ford is a Ferrari shouldn't be OK with that, either.

Maybe it's because he calls prongs "diggers" or maybe it's because his book has almost NO photos of big antelope in it, dead or alive, or maybe it's because he stopped by our booth at the SCI convention and barely even glanced at the many 90 inch bucks hanging on our backdrop.

I'm not trying to bash Eastman's book as it can probably be a fairly valuable resource to many a rookie antelope hunter, but I'd rather put my hand in a blender and turn it on than let that book be called the "Bible" on trophy antelope hunting.

So, in my continuous effort to try to finish my book and to make perfectly certain that it's a masterpiece on par with Charles Dickens and Oscar Wilde and Mark Twain, I'm going to ask a favor of the Hunt Talk community - I would like as many suggestions and questions as possible from the members of this forum to include and answer in the book.

The original intention of the book was basically to assist trophy hunters in their magical quest to harvest a 90-inch buck, however the book will be open to change until the moment it's printed.

No question is too big, no suggestion too small.

I appreciate any and all help.

I can think of a lot of things that come to mind. The represent questions I have tried to answer about antelope behavior, and have my own opinions, but cannot say they are true answers.

1. I know you cover this in your DVD, but it would be really helpful to understand more about how to judge mass. To me, mass from the side is easy to judge, but sometime the bucks have more circular horns, and the mass from the side does not look that great. I would say anytime I misjudge a buck by judging too low, it is because the mass was good and you could only tell by a face on view, and even then it is hard to tell.

I guess what I am saying is that it would be great to learn more about how to distinguish a 78" buck from an 82" buck. Maybe that is just too hard to do, given it is only a 1/2" difference on each mass measurement of each horn.

2. Would be nice to know what the preferred browse is at certain times during the year and in different locations.

3. What the age class and horn growth cycles are. I know in the NM studies, the younger bucks (3-4 years) actually scored better than the older bucks (4+ years).

4. A comparison of average body and head sizes by geographic area. I know the bodies and heads of MT/WY bucks are much different than what I saw in SE New Mexico when I hunted there.

5. What makes some years really good horn growth and some not so good? Moisture, and if so, when is the best timing of that moisture? Harshness of the previous winter? Other?

6. What is the deal with me seeing smaller horned, but bigger bodied bucks controlling harems in the rut, but the bigger horned bucks seeming to be less involved in the rut. Almost like the biggest ones are gay, or the gay ones get bigger. Really, that is my observation, and maybe it is a fluke based on what I see. The toughest, most rutty bucks I see, are never the biggest ones. Most often I see the biggest ones observing from a distance, seeming somewhat disinterested in the process.

7. Is their vision very good at depth perception. Reason I ask that is how easy it has been to walk or sneak directly at them and not spook them. Yet if I try to circle or go to the side, they run at the first flicker of anything. Almost like their extreme vision has less value when it comes to depth perception.

8. What is the behavior the biggest bucks before the rut, when most archery seasons are going on. I see large bachelor groups, but again, they usually don't have the lunkers in the group. Those guys seem to be happy just hanging out by themselves.

9. What is the post-rut behavior. The seasons in MT and some of WY are post-rut hunts. Any differences in that behavior?

10. Where are the genetic pools of great antelope. Obviously, AZ and NM are great, but even within those states, there are big variances. Is that genetic, feed, hunting pressure, or what? In WY, there are some areas that are spectacular, but you go 200 miles east and things are pretty average. Nutrition?

11. What is the deal with the big bucks living in non-traditional places? I shot a buck in NV at almost 8,000' and he was a toad. Only 4 antelope lived on that mesa, but he seemed to have found a comfortable place. Same with antelope I have seen in the pines in AZ and MT. What is the deal with that. These bucks seem to be above average. Maybe that is due to them growing older by living in places no one expects to see them, so they get bigger.

Will try to think of more.

What Randy said and some others..

Tricks, timing, and how-tos of decoying and calling in bucks or does. When to use buck decoy vs. doe decoy. Calling, calls, and using your voice.

Migration movements. Some herds I hunt migrate 20+ miles to winter grounds and slowly move back in the spring/summer, yet some seem to stay in the same quarter section all their lives. What's the norm?

Waterhole hunting tips.

Lots of pictures of bucks that are in that good but not great range, just below book, that look huge due to the shape of headgear... and point out what's tricky about judging those ones.

I've been wanting to read Eastman's DIY guide to trophy antelope hunting, but wouldn't buy it as I'm fairly sure I'd get more bang for my buck with a cube of PBR.

Reserve a copy of your book for me please.

Laugh it up now guys, but I have one of those, and intend to wear it in NM when I draw my antelope tag. Also plan to wear it to the Halloween Party. If it works for antelope, I am all about it, even if people think I look stupid. Given most people think I look stupid anyhow, nothing lost on my end.

Great stuff Big Fin and Greenie!

Randy, you'll be surprised at the answers to questions 1 and 6 - very surprised. ;)

Keep it coming - this is going to be extremely helpful!

When do Antelope reach their full potential for the season?How about a rough figure as to how much more one will grow if seen a month or two months before they are fully done growing for the season.

How big are antelope's home ranges? In a normal day how far will they travel to water or feed? Are they territorial like a whitetail? I'm asking with the scenario in mind of me seeing a big buck, spooking it and then trying to find it again later that day or the next.

I'm a complete rookie when it comes to antelope, so maybe those questions are already covered in your book.

Are freaks a product of accidents or genetics?

Whats the determining factor in the darkness of a bucks horns? Does it mean they are still growing or have stopped. Most of the big bucks Ive seen have very dark black horns.

Whats the biggest threat to fawns in the first year, and how as sportsman can we help increase their chance of survival. I know in alot of areas there is alot of crp contracts ending and that ground will either be farmed or turned into pasture for grazing.

Contrary to what most believe antelope will go in crops where they cant see, we hunted areas with unpicked corn this year and they were constantly in the corn. Is this normal for all areas with antelope and people overlook these areas.

What groups can we join to help with antelope conservation.

Look forward to your book, there isnt alot out on antelope they are brushed aside as a bottom shelf big game animal to elk whitetail and muledeer. There is very few forums that even give them a thought. Love this site for the hardcore speed junkies. Thanks

Last edited:
Wow, if I get enough of these great questions I might be able to make a large chunk of the book just based on responding to all these. Most of the information I have already written is about how to go about scouting, field judging, and the like so these are all really good questions so far.

How much beer should one take on a lope hunt minimum.....?

Kidding. I will 2nd,3rd,4th or what ever it is about the judging 80-82 inchers. Of course I usually shoot at 75!

Any water hole info you got. Ever see them or believe them to water at night?

Why Idaho seams to have plenty of habitat yet such a small population when comparing similar areas/habitat of Wyoming?

Please include definitions in the back of the book for the following-

diggers

tangs

rack bracketing

80" antelope Eastmans way:rolleyes:

Public Land Do it Yourself (on Private Ranch w/Guide):D

Thanks, should be a great book!

This is a thought that has been troubling me through my application process.

Is the B&C records really worth basing your applications on. They dont take into consideration what percent of animals harvested in a county makes the books. Some counties with low pronghorn populations consistantly have book goats. Lots of people dont enter trophys even if they do qualify. So what is the best way to go about finding areas to hunt for good bucks.

Wow, if I get enough of these great questions I might be able to make a large chunk of the book just based on responding to all these. Most of the information I have already written is about how to go about scouting, field judging, and the like so these are all really good questions so far.

Thats a great idea ....

You could simply take these questions (and more) and do a whole sub-chapter called: "FAQ on Antelope Hunting".

Or maybe another section with different scenarios like:"Common Misconceptions" or "Antelope Myths Busted"?

That type of reading, when it comes to subjects like these which have been written about in the past; are much more enjoyable in short-excerpts - that I can scan from time to time when I'm takin a poop.

Moe:D

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back